Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:59:23 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Amreeka (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Amreeka (2009)  (Read 1699 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »

the joke in the begining of the trailer is kind of an old one

Small | Large

Amreeka (2009)-  This would be a perfect movie to show in a college sociology class and that's not a compliment.  It was a drag, not the moviemaking itself which was good, but the relentless, I'll say it, whiny and anti american tone of the thing is enough to turn even Ralph Nader neocon.  The arab christian family we meet are saints, their arab-american counterparts are less awful than the one dimensional americans we meet (think todd solondz or other canadian directors view of Americans)  but only in so far as they are still culturally arabs.  Americanization here means pot smoking, bigotry, consumerism, etc.  The only sympathetic americas we meet are a punk and a jewish guy because they TOO are not accepted by this awful society (which is ridiculous and not true)

Some observations

1. they need to leave Palestine because of the relentless drudgery of the occupation.  fair enough, but there was no where else in the entire middle east they could go?  or any other country?

2.  post 9/11 they are being harassed yet there is zero cognition of WHY this is happening.  I would think they would develop some sort of understanding of it wouldn't you?  I certainly understand why people in the middle east don't like America as we are constantly invading their countries and supporting their dictators.  I wouldn't get all huffy about being resented for that. Thats life

3.  the movie takes place at the begining of the iraq war, which the whole family is against.  a relative calls the woman up and tells her to tell the president to leave people in the middle east alone.  So why doesn't she?  not literally, but dOes anyone remember any massive arab american protest or activism of any kind against the war?  yeah me either.  how about you're in a democracy, participate in it with some kind of activism.

no.  everything is your fault for being a stupid bigoted american and it's only because they HAVE to be here that they are.  Oh, and if one of them plays a horrible prank on you (as happens in this movie)you should just accept it and not fight back because that's RACIST.

OKay, I'm done.  The movie isn't bad but it's ...slightly preachy. 3/5
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:07:51 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Amreeka (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.