Main Menu

PANDORUM (2009)

Started by indianasmith, January 24, 2010, 09:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indianasmith

I guess I missed the ads for this when it was in the theaters, but it is the best sci-fi horror film I have seen in a LONG time.  I thought it approached the original ALIEN both in its casting and in its sheer, erie sense of impending menace.

The Elysium is a colony ship, created to deliver 16,000 humans to a far-away planet which has been found capable of supporting human life.  In the midst of the voyage, a young flight crew corporal wakes up from hypersleep to find the place deserted.  He wakes up his lietenant to see of the can figure out what is going on.  They are locked into the hypersleep chamger, power is surging on and off randomly, and there are no communications with any other part of the ship.   He goes crawling off through the ship's ductwork to find a way to open the chamber from the outside and finds that the ship is overrun with highly agressive humanoid aliens.  A handful of humans live in hiding, moving from compartment to compartment trying to avoid becoming dinner.  And the power surges are increasing in frequency as the ship's reactor is offline and limping towards catastrophic failure.

How long have they been adrift in space?
Can the young corporal restart the main reactor?
Where did the aliens come from?
Why is all communication with earth cut off?
Is any of this really happeneing, or are some of the crew suffering from the rare form of space madness known as PANDORUM?

This is a real must see for any fan of creepy, high-budget sci-fi.  I enjoyed it more than any film I've seen in quite awhile.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Jack

Is this movie full of that MTV style editing?  That's the only thing that's preventing me from seeing it.  Otherwise it seems very interesting.  But I can't stand movies that look like an incomprehensible strobe light effect.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho

Neville

The critics were extremely harsh with this one in my country, but I found it very enjoyable. It's a Event horizon copycat, so what... it even surpases it on a few moments. And the whole idea of waking up in a dark spaceship not knowing anything about yourself or what you're doing there... [shivers]

I found that premise extremely intriguing, and the momentum worked right through the end. The only things I could have done without are the creatures and the occasionally silly editing. It could have been just as scary just with mad people running across the ship, no need to bring up creatures stolen from of The descent.
Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.

3mnkids

You didn't find the movie too dark and some of the actors hard to understand? Specifically the character Leland? I think that was his name. I couldn't understand a word he was saying and considering he was telling what happened, it was a problem. 

I thought the plot was cool, the acting alright, and other than being too dark it looked pretty good, not being able to understand the dialogue just killed this for me. petty? maybe, but what can I say   :teddyr:
There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations

indianasmith

I didn't have that hard a time understanding him. 

Parts of it were dark, but it was on a spaceship with power systems failing.

The dark worked.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Neville

3mnkids, did you watch the film on a theatre or DVD? I can't tell how it will play on DVD, but on theatres the dark wasn't a problem. As for that guy speaking weird, I'm from Europe and I saw it dubbed. Maybe they made him easier to understand, it could happen.
Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.

3mnkids

Quote from: Neville on January 26, 2010, 05:56:39 AM
3mnkids, did you watch the film on a theatre or DVD? I can't tell how it will play on DVD, but on theatres the dark wasn't a problem. As for that guy speaking weird, I'm from Europe and I saw it dubbed. Maybe they made him easier to understand, it could happen.

I watched it on DVD.  I dont know, it just really pulled me out of the movie. It gets old saying.. WTF did he say? What did she say?   :teddyr:
There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations

Trevor

I saw this two days ago and my reaction was mostly  :question: :question: :question: and then another  :question:. Technically good and produced by the team that did Event Horizon but I really didn't know WTF was going on most of the time, until the ending.
I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.

The Burgomaster

This was one of my Netflix rentals awhile back.  After about 20 minutes, I couldn't wait for it to end.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

Trevor

Quote from: The Burgomaster on June 18, 2013, 08:01:25 AM
This was one of my Netflix rentals awhile back.  After about 20 minutes, I couldn't wait for it to end.

I hear you: Anje Traue was quite pretty though and so was Dennis Quaid..... ermm, I mean, he looked like he was in another movie altogether.  :wink:
I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.

FatFreddysCat

I saw this one a few months back... I thought it was pretty forgettable.
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Jack

It's actually become quite a favorite of mine.  I guess there's nothing all that special about it, it just happens to work for me personally.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho

claws

The trailer never appealed to me but I've been still meaning to check it out ever since first released. Maybe someday ...

ChaosTheory

I watched this because Ben Foster's in it.  Someday I'm going to stop falling for that...

I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't anything too memorable either.  The narrative seemed to be a straight take on the pilot for RED DWARF, which I found kind of amusing.  I kept waiting for The Cat to pop out of a vent  :teddyr:
Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me

BakuryuuTyranno

I detested this movie - everything from the gratuitous use of religious iconography to the moronic (and obvious twists) to the pointless "the survival of humanity depends on this" thrown in - it all screams "amateur scriptwriting"