Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:18:34 AM
714335 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dinosaurs fighting in Robot Monster...is it animal cruelty? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dinosaurs fighting in Robot Monster...is it animal cruelty?  (Read 2717 times)
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 29, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »

I've been wondering about the fighting dinosaurs scene from near the beginning of Robot Monster, where we clearly see a crocodile grabbing a monitor lizard by the leg and doing the death roll. I've been wanting to ask anyone if the monitor lizard was real or was it just a toy, because if it was real, the movie portrayed animal cruelty.

Oh, and yes, I know the scene isn't actually from Robot Monster, but from another movie. Wink
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »

But it's an animal killing another animal? If you feel very strongly that that's animal cruelty, then you better not watch the Discovery channel anytime soon...

vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »

Yes, but the guys who made the scene put the two animals together on the purpouse of one of the getting killed. Just like someone putting a poodle in shark infested waters just to shoot a scene for a movie.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »

In that case anyone who owns a boa constrictor, or python, or any other large constricting snake is guilty of animal cruelty on a regular basis.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »

In that case, the person is feeding his pet, and is not shooting a movie scene to make money off of it. Every death should have a meaning, in the case of a boa, the mouses death's meaning is to feed another animal, as it would do so in the wild. In the case of this particular scene there isn't any natural meaning.
Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »

Just like someone putting a poodle in shark infested waters just to shoot a scene for a movie.

Isn't this the definition of "a great idea"?  Not a poodle fan.

Technically, what you are referring to is animal cruelty. But if that is something you feel you should avoid watching, then you can forget a crapload of Westerns prior to the 70s. They used trip wires often and a number of horses broke legs and most of those had to be put down.

I understand I'm watching something I wouldn't accept in this day and age. If I felt personally wronged enough, I would just not watch the movie. But then I have low morals, and I drink a lot these days, so what do I know?
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »

I'm not really that emotional towards the subject, I was just wondering if a real monitor lizard was used or a fake one, and if this scene can be considered animal cruelty?
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 06:34:42 PM »

Just like someone putting a poodle in shark infested waters just to shoot a scene for a movie.

You've been reading my screenplay!...just kidding.

As far as I know real animals where used and killed for that scene.  Today, it would be considered animal cruelty, but back when the movie was made-laws probably weren't that strict about these sorts of things. Doesn't mean it was right, just not illegal.  It reminds me of an interesting conversation I had with some friends about what you can and cannot get away with today vs what could be done back then in films.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:22:27 AM »

Are yo talking about the stock footage of lizards fighting from ONE MILLION B.C. that was used and re-used in countless films?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:40:01 AM »

Yes
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »

Well you have to remember that ONE MILLION B.C. was released in 1940 and different rules applied in those times. I'm sure at the time they saw it as a low budget way to giving people "dinosaurs" in a film that really didn't have any (unlike Willis O'Brien stop-motion dinos in 1925's THE LOST WORLD). Ignatz and Rumsford would appear in many more films over the years, the stock footage from this was reused right up till the 1970s if I'm not mistaken.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dinosaurs fighting in Robot Monster...is it animal cruelty? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.