Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:20:20 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Surprisingly Good Television Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Surprisingly Good Television Movies  (Read 9142 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: January 30, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »

The Television Movie. Most often these efforts prove dismal and disappointing. Most TV Movies seem to have a certain feel and a dull, drab look; most often seem to a lack any real action and suspense and certainly lack gore, suspense and violence in many cases. Still there are exceptions to these rules and this thread is devoted to those television films that pleasantly surprised you by being much better than your immediate given expectation of them. Here some TV goodies I was glad I caught and very much enjoyed:

Trilogy of Terror (1975): Directed by Dan Curtis and written by the one and only Richard Matheson, this creepy horror anthology film starring Karen Black in four different roles delivers chills and thrills than you won't soon forget especially the appearance of the Zuni Fetish Doll.

The Night Stalker (1972) and The Night Strangler (1973): The two TV Films produced by Dan Curtis (John Moxey directed Stalker while Curtis directed Strangler) that introduced the world to reporter Carl Kolchak, a man determined to prove strange and bizarre creatures do inhabit our world. Unfortunately he always seems to run into obstacles along the way not to mention having to put his neck on the line against a vampire (Night Stalker) and a strangler (Night Strangler), both who seem to have a taste for blood, while trying to get his proof.

Trapped In Space (1994): Jack Wagner actually turns in a good performance as one of a crew of passengers stranded on a derelict spaceship that is much too rapidly running out of oxygen. This film is based on the short story entitled “Breaking Strain” by Arthur C. Clarke. It has a neat buildup of suspense and a surprise twist ending to boot.

Intruders (1992): Here again we have Dan Curtis, who directed this genuinely creepy alien abduction movie which chilled me to the bone first time I watched it  and gave me nightmares for about a week. The snowplow going down the road took on new fright dimensions after watching this film unfold.

Deep Red (1994): A young crippled girl (Lindsey Haun) is mysteriously infected with alien nanobots which heal her and might hold to key to her immortality but someone else, a mad scientist named Dr. Newmeyer (John DeLancie) has discovered this secret and is extremely determined to steal its benefits for himself through any means necessary. This stars Michael Biehn, as a burned out detective for hire, in a movie that crosses elements of the cop buddy genre with science fiction and film noir. Overall this was surprisingly good and involving for a Sci-Fi channel type film. All the familiar faces involved (including Steven Williams and Joanna Pacula)certainly doesn't hurt.

12:01(1993): a man finds time repeating after a shock to his system and now must find a means to save the woman he loves from being killed every night, the same night, repeatedly. A science fiction style romantic comedy, this stars Jonathan Silverman and Helen Slater.

Harrison Bergeron (1995): “Welcome to the future – it's a no brainer!” –Tagline. In a future world where everyone is expected to act the same--where conformity is enforced--one kid named Harrison Bergeron (Sean Astin) begins to see it all for the nonsense it really is. Based on the story by Kurt Vonnegut, this is one of the best Canadian TV films I've ever seen.  It doesn't hurt it's loaded to the gills with famous and talented Canadians.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:08:39 AM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »

Babylon 5 Thirdspace - An ancient alien artifact is found drifting in space, and it's up to the crew of the Babylon 5 space station to figure out what it is.  I though this was great.  Really epic sort of plot, and I love pretty much anything dealing with ancient alien artifacts. 

Snowbeast - A bigfoot is on the rampage near a ski resort, and after the usual melodrama is taken care of, a group of people go into the hills to hunt it down.  I think the best part of this movie is that you only get glimpses of the creature, so it never looks silly.  Good characters and an excellent sense of suspense.

The Librarian:  Quest for the Spear - a good, silly Indiana Jones type movie.  Very entertaining and fun.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:12:27 AM »

I know there are more goodies we could add here especially from the 1970s and 1990s...those two decades seem great for quality genre TV.

Agree with Snowbeast...I really enjoyed that one. Very suspenseful, quality monster film.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 01:25:33 AM »

A few  historical films worth a mention:

HITLER: THE RISE OF EVIL

IKE: COUNTDOWN TO D-DAY

THE CROSSING

THE PLOT TO KILL HITLER

All worth checking out.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:33:56 AM »

Lonesome Dove, It, The Stand, and Comanche Moon

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »

Have Hitler: Rise of Evil, The Stand and the Babylon 5 movie all on DVD but I haven't got around to watching them yet.

A few more to add:

Duel (1971): Steven Speilberg directed this superb film that examines road rage gone mad in this very suspenseful film. The kind of film that makes you realize this can happen to you or anyone else. The kind that makes you stop and take notice long after you've finished watching. Dennis Weaver is the everyman type this film focuses upon.

Frankenstein: The True Story: A mini-series that sees Dr. Frankenstein succeed in creating the perfect man or does he? In the end, the film moves more firmly into the that realm of psychogical horror first created in Mary Shelley's novel. Stars James Mason, David McCallum, Leonard Whiting and Jane Seymour.

The Day After (1983): startling story that sees the world in the aftermath of nuclear war. This story focuses on small town Kansas and the struggle to survive and stay alive in a world blown to Hell.

Threads (1984): an arguably even more realistic and brutal portrait of the world in the aftermath of nuclear war. This takes place in Sheffield, England.

Salem's Lot (1979): the first film (actually a mini-series) to scare the beejezus out of me. The risen vampire kids are the stuff of nightmares that's for sure and if that's not enough, our main baddie here could rival Nosferatu. Just a great unpredictable story.

Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »

Don't be Afraid of the Dark - My husband would shed a tear if this movie wasn't mentioned.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 07:51:50 AM »

Duel (1971): Steven Speilberg directed this superb film that examines road rage gone mad in this very suspenseful film. The kind of film that makes you realize this can happen to you or anyone else. The kind that makes you stop and take notice long after you've finished watching. Dennis Weaver is the everyman type this film focuses upon.

That's an awesome one.  I always got a kick out of how they re-used footage from it for an episode of the Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby.

World War III (1982) - The Russians send a military force into Alaska to sabotage the oil pipeline, and Rock Hudson and a small group of poorly armed National Guard troops try to stop them.  Excellent characters and a very interesting and well told story.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

World War III sounds really good from your description. I'd like to check that one out.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 05:30:10 AM »

Dan (DARK SHADOWS) Curtis's DRACULA (1974) with Jack Palance!

Small | Large

Ray Milland and Pamela Ferdin in DAUGHTER of the MIND (1969)
"Oh Daddy-I hate being dead."

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »

I agree with It, The killer clown one with Tim Curry based on a Stephen King novel.  Also, The Haunted.  I really enjoyed it, it's pretty bad.  But, then again, isn't that why I'm on this website?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »

Snowbeast - A bigfoot is on the rampage near a ski resort, and after the usual melodrama is taken care of, a group of people go into the hills to hunt it down.  I think the best part of this movie is that you only get glimpses of the creature, so it never looks silly.  Good characters and an excellent sense of suspense.
SNOWBEAST works for precisely the reason you cited: we only get a glimpse...

Others in a similar creepy vein:
CROWHAVEN FARM (1970)
BAD RONALD (1974)
THE NORLISS TAPES (1973) DAN CURTIS is a favorite of mine... I don't even mind THE NIGHT STRANGLER and watch it every year or so, right after watching STALKER - probably the best made-for-TV movie.  And speaking of DAN CURTIS and JACK PALANCE, don't forget their first work together THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JECKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1968)

All of the above films have in common an implausibility, cheap-thrill cheesiness, and chintzy-ness that make them riveting viewing for the Badmovie lover.

BTW, let's not forget LOUIS JOURDAN as COUNT DRACULA (1977 made for BBC I think) which was damned fine and never shown nowadays.  

There are lots of great made-for-TV films, THE LATHE OF HEAVEN, PAUL'S CASE, (both 1980) THE BLUE HOTEL (1977) and I'M A FOOL (1977) are all very good if not sublime and are from the American Short Story Collection.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:03:57 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »

BRIAN'S SONG - James Caan and Billy Dee Williams

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »

I-Man - Scott Bakula
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »

Great stuff guys. Allhallows has listed (pretty much his entire list) a whole bunch of TV movies I really want to see but haven't got around to just yet.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Surprisingly Good Television Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.