Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:39:06 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Haunting 1963 version vs 1999 version « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Haunting 1963 version vs 1999 version  (Read 4459 times)
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 01, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »

I had been channel surfing, and I caught the 1999 version of THE HAUNTING over the weekend on tv.  Good cast - Liam Neeson, Lili Taylor, Catherine Zeta-Jopes, Owen Wilson.  Although it had great atmosphere,  and some good scares, I just could not get into this movie.

On the other hand, I love the 1963 version! ( which I bought a long time ago at a yard sale).  I pulled this one out of my dvd collection, and watched it later the same day. (Had not seen this one in a long time).  It scared the hell out of me just like it did the first time I had ever seen it!  Claire Bloom and Jule Harris and pure phsycological horror!

What do you guys think of these 2?

Hold onto your dreams ....
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »

The HAUNTING (1963) is one of my very favorite horror films. I love the book even better!
The new one....I haven't  had the heart to watch it. I've heard the scares were more visual,and less psychological. In the original,you wonder if the haunting is'nt just a manifestation of Elenors mind-(as in the poltergeist experiance she had as a child).The book emphasized this even more.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
SPazzo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My kinda toy...

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »

The HAUNTING (1963) is one of my very favorite horror films. I love the book even better!
The new one....I haven't  had the heart to watch it. I've heard the scares were more visual,and less psychological. In the original,you wonder if the haunting is'nt just a manifestation of Elenors mind-(as in the poltergeist experiance she had as a child).The book emphasized this even more.

What he said.  Twirling

But seriously, I'm too scared to even go near the remake.  I've seen a trailer of it, and it looks terrible.  I loved the original, and I don't want the remake to ruin that.  I have the philosophy with a lot of remakes.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »

I saw the remake, and honestly Silverlady's assessment is much higher than my own. I thought it was pure crap. However, I've never seen the 1963 version, and my curiosity is stirred.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »

1963 version, absolutely no contest!

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »

I saw the remake, and honestly Silverlady's assessment is much higher than my own. I thought it was pure crap. However, I've never seen the 1963 version, and my curiosity is stirred.

The HAUNTING is a must see! I give it two claws up!  Thumbup Thumbup

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »

I haven't seen the remake, and don't plan to.  Having said that, the 1963 version is infinitely better.   Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:16:25 AM »

1963 version  Thumbup
1999 version  TongueOut

I read somewhere that the mansion used for the ecst extear, oh damn it, the outside shots is and was really haunted.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:53:14 AM »

1963 version  Thumbup
1999 version  TongueOut

I read somewhere that the mansion used for the ecst extear, oh damn it, the outside shots is and was really haunted.  Buggedout

Exterior.  Twirling

Anyway, that would be so cool if it was really haunted.  It would be like the Amnityville Horror, except, well, cooler. Thumbup 
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »

Like most remakes, The Haunting is a down right piece of crap. The original is just so unique, who would pick the remake over the original?

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »

The remake is all style with no substance (actually isn't that true of most modern era remakes that they are shined up turds?) whereas the original has substance in spades and is truly disturbing.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »

1963 version  Thumbup
1999 version  TongueOut

Exterior.  Twirling

Anyway, that would be so cool if it was really haunted.  It would be like the Amnityville Horror, except, well, cooler. Thumbup 

Just a side note, Spazzo, u mention the Ammityviille Horror -  I have actually seen that house. I lived on Long Island in NY (1974) when Ronald Defeo Jr murdered his parents and brothers and sisters.  The movie was based on the so-called experiences of the Lutz family who moved into the house about 13 months after the murders. They moved out 28 days later. I left Long Island in the 1990's, but heard that other families had lived in that house over the years and never experienced anything strange or evil.

Hold onto your dreams ....
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »

The HAUNTING is a must see! I give it two claws up!  Thumbup Thumbup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxJwJfUcwRM
There's no comparison; the 1999 flick bites weenie. 
Though I've gone on record criticizing THE HAUNTING (1963) for the flaws that inevitably appear upon repeated viewing of any film (I watched it yet again recently) it is the best ghost story yet filmed.  ROBERT WISE's THE HAUNTING is a masterpiece. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »

It just goes to show you that, while CGI and related high-dollar special effects are great and all, but they are no substitute for writing, directing, editing, etc. All the basics.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »

CGI and related high-dollar special effects are great and all

No.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Haunting 1963 version vs 1999 version « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.