Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:14:07 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Oscar nominations released « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oscar nominations released  (Read 4802 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 02, 2010, 10:06:39 AM »

www.imdb.com/features/rto/2010/oscars

Ten films for Best Picture?  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »

Well they opened it up to 10 films after the fact that they snubbed a lot of good films back in 2008 (Wall-E, Dark Knight, Gran Torino, and more) and there was a lot of protest as such.  I think it is good they did this.  Allows a nice and more wide range of films to be nominated, as such, hooray for Up!

I like the list, but I have personally never heard of Precious, An Education, or A Serious Man and I am a little sad that Where the Wild Things Are or Ponyo didn't get a nomination, but still.

Finally!  An animated movie gets nominated again for Best Picture that deserves it.  Personally Wall-E was much better than Up, but that is a personal opinion.  However, Up isn't going to win and never is Avatar.  I'm betting a karma point it is either A Serious Man (I looked it up), Up in the Air, or Inglorious Bastards.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »

Well they opened it up to 10 films after the fact that they snubbed a lot of good films back in 2008 (Wall-E, Dark Knight, Gran Torino, and more) and there was a lot of protest as such.  I think it is good they did this.  Allows a nice and more wide range of films to be nominated, as such, hooray for Up!

I like the list, but I have personally never heard of Precious, An Education, or A Serious Man and I am a little sad that Where the Wild Things Are or Ponyo didn't get a nomination, but still.

Finally!  An animated movie gets nominated again for Best Picture that deserves it.  Personally Wall-E was much better than Up, but that is a personal opinion.  However, Up isn't going to win and never is Avatar.  I'm betting a karma point it is either A Serious Man (I looked it up), Up in the Air, or Inglorious Bastards.

Surprised you hadn't heard of A Serious Man.  Cohen brothers flick, I remember seeing the trailer on a couple films I saw theatrically in '09.  I don't think it has any real chance of winning, though.  I'd say Avatar is the most likely (much like Titanic and Return of the King taking it, the mass box office appeal and scope of the film, coupled with it still being in theatres during voting and all the other nominations - good chance), followed by Up In The Air then the Hurt Locker.  Basterds is the dark horse candidate - it might surprise for the same reason Avatar has a chance.  I doubt it though.

Thing is, ten Best Picture nominations gives Avatar a much bigger chance of winning.  People who like uplifting and highly entertaining films (and the films message) will gravitate to it much more than The Hurt Locker or Up In the Air, and the "art house" and more "serious" minded people will have their votes divided between all the other nominations.  It's kind of like how you don't ever want to be nominated twice in the same category - it'll divide up the votes, and give it to what otherwise would have had no chance.  As has happened to Actors in the past, and has happened to John Williams a couple times for Best Score.

For that reason, I don't think increasing the number to 10 was a good idea.  The Oscar ratings being so low is probably the major reason. 
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »

I'm betting a karma point it is either A Serious Man (I looked it up), Up in the Air, or Inglorious Bastards.

You mean I get all other 7 films in the field?  I'll take that bet!

I'll probably see some more of these before the Awards roll around, but here are my favorites:

Best Picture (saw 6/10): THE HURT LOCKER
Best Actor (saw 2/5): Jeff Bridges.  BTW, Sam Rockwell should have been nominated for MOON! 
Best Actress (saw 1/5): Carey Mulligan, by default.
Best Supporting Actor (saw 2/5): Christoph Walz
Best Support Actress (saw 1/5): Penelope Cruz, by default.
Best Director (saw 2/5): Katheryn Bigelow
Best Original Screenplay (saw 4/5): A SERIOUS MAN
Best Adapted Screenplay (saw 2/5): DISTRICT 9

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »

I'm betting a karma point it is either A Serious Man (I looked it up), Up in the Air, or Inglorious Bastards.

You mean I get all other 7 films in the field?  I'll take that bet!

Then it is a bet!  Anyone else want to get in on the action?   TeddyR   Wink

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »

GO DISTRICT 9!!!!!
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »

GO DISTRICT 9!!!!!
Indeed :D

But I'm also halfway cheering Avatar, halfway cheering Basterds. If the former wins, sci-fi may get some recognition again; if the latter wins, it wins in heavy contrast to all the other tearjerker WWII films to get the Oscar XD

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »

I don't like the idea of 10 nominations.  It waters down the voting too much.  Plus, are all 10 movies really worthy of a Best Picture Oscar?  I doubt it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
nilbog
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »

Interesting bet! especially since The Hurt Locker and Avatar seem to be the favourites for this. But ya know, I'm not brave enough to bet against you at the moment being that I currently have no karma points so a bad bet would send me in to minuses! - oh what the heck I'm willing to bet it wont be one of the ones you've listed.

craptasticmovies.com

"Nilbog! It's Goblin Spelt Backwards!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »

Frankly, I'm not happy with the Academy of expanding the list of Best Picture from five entries to 10 entries, but it is not a new idea. From 1931/32 to 1943 more then five films were nominated for Best Picture. It was only in 1944 to last year were the nominations for Best Picture restricted to five films.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Oscar nominations released « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.