Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:44:21 AM
714195 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Ever meet a fellow member of badmovies.org? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Ever meet a fellow member of badmovies.org?  (Read 17969 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 07:54:08 AM »

Since my first post to this thread, I met up with two people from two other forums I frequent (both equestrian-related) - at the same 'horse-y' event.  I had the best day.  It was even more fun than I had anticipated and we will definitely do it again.  TeddyR

Some interests do lend themselves more to meeting people in person. People who are seriously into horses do travel and have a pretty good chance of ending up in the same place. I found the same thing when we were more into dog shows. Bad movies being largely a hobby for relaxing at home, it's not naturally going to take people to the same places.

B-Fest is about the only thing I'm aware of that people with our hobby will travel to, and not all that many, relatively speaking.

It's one of the reasons I keep looking to get some kind of an annual event started. Apart from my own entertainment and spreading the gospel of bad movies, I'd like to actually establish someplace for fans to gather. Where I am now, I can see the potential for an outdoor b-movie weekend with camping and beach activities. People will drive up here from Toronto for stuff like that, and I'd clean up selling hats and tshirts. I would, of course, apply for a federal arts grant to fly over an eminent South African film scholar as keynote speaker. TeddyR  Problem is, I can't find anybody else locally who's interested in organizing it with me, since most of the organizing types don't even understand the concept ("Would it be possible to get movies more people would enjoy?").

The best I can manage alone is an occasional movie night, and the last one I had to cave in and include a Spielberg picture. Not that I minded; It was the first time I'd seen ET in probably 25 years, and I found it very nostalgic. If I'd been thinking, I would have brought my old Atari 2600 and challenged people to play the ET game on the big screen after the movie, just to see the utter confusion on their faces. TeddyR

Maybe some of the Canadians here should look at a mid-winter weekend getaway, maybe on the February long weekend. Get hotel rooms at some central point like Toronto, bring spouses or girlfriends, set up a projector in a suite and spend a couple of days watching cheesy movies. Probably not that feasible, though. There are only maybe three of us close enough to drive, leaving out a couple of maritimers and a westerner.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:59:11 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »

Since my first post to this thread, I met up with two people from two other forums I frequent (both equestrian-related) - at the same 'horse-y' event.  I had the best day.  It was even more fun than I had anticipated and we will definitely do it again.  TeddyR

Some interests do lend themselves more to meeting people in person. People who are seriously into horses do travel and have a pretty good chance of ending up in the same place. I found the same thing when we were more into dog shows. Bad movies being largely a hobby for relaxing at home, it's not naturally going to take people to the same places.

B-Fest is about the only thing I'm aware of that people with our hobby will travel to, and not all that many, relatively speaking.

It's one of the reasons I keep looking to get some kind of an annual event started. Apart from my own entertainment and spreading the gospel of bad movies, I'd like to actually establish someplace for fans to gather. Where I am now, I can see the potential for an outdoor b-movie weekend with camping and beach activities. People will drive up here from Toronto for stuff like that, and I'd clean up selling hats and tshirts. I would, of course, apply for a federal arts grant to fly over an eminent South African film scholar as keynote speaker. TeddyR  Problem is, I can't find anybody else locally who's interested in organizing it with me, since most of the organizing types don't even understand the concept ("Would it be possible to get movies more people would enjoy?").

The best I can manage alone is an occasional movie night, and the last one I had to cave in and include a Spielberg picture. Not that I minded; It was the first time I'd seen ET in probably 25 years, and I found it very nostalgic. If I'd been thinking, I would have brought my old Atari 2600 and challenged people to play the ET game on the big screen after the movie, just to see the utter confusion on their faces. TeddyR

Maybe some of the Canadians here should look at a mid-winter weekend getaway, maybe on the February long weekend. Get hotel rooms at some central point like Toronto, bring spouses or girlfriends, set up a projector in a suite and spend a couple of days watching cheesy movies. Probably not that feasible, though. There are only maybe three of us close enough to drive, leaving out a couple of maritimers and a westerner.

Every summer a number of boutique pop-up cinemas start up, with two prominent ones being the Moonlight Cinema at the botanical gardens, and the Rooftop Cinema.  The first is basically a giant screen set up and people bring sleeping bags and pillows and food etc and watch a movie.  It runs most weeknights and weekends.  Fun stuff!  The Rooftop cinema is as described and is on top of a bar in the city.  Great views, and great atmosphere.  The Moonlight Cinema tends to play mainstream movies and 'cult classics' such as Ferris Bueller, but everynow and then they slip through an obscure one.  It gets huge crowds, 1000+, and as such they need to be fairly mainstream.

The rooftop plays more obscure 'cult' movies, though not to our level of obscure.  A couple of hundred people on average per screening.

If the weather ever gets warm enough for you up your way, something like the rooftop cinema isn't too hard to set up with a few extra people and some funding/sponsorship for equipment and the like.  Of course, the sacrifice is playing movies that will at least give you an audience, and you can use the majority of the screenings to subsidise the more obscure, lesser attended screenings. 

Aw man it'd be awesome.  Do it AndyC!  C'mon man!

I actually saw once a screening of Monsters Inc for a charity that was on top of car park of all places!  Another playing 'Breakdance' in a junkyard...  I figure you can start with the more mainstream and build the rep, and then start slyly adding the cult favourites.  IF you can be bothered that is.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »

I'd love to head to Toronto for the Toronto After Dark festival some year.  Maybe I could run into you Canucks up there sometime.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »

I'd love to head to Toronto for the Toronto After Dark festival some year.  Maybe I could run into you Canucks up there sometime.

Rev, you do that and I assure you we will be there too!  Count on it.  Smile

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Ever meet a fellow member of badmovies.org? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.