Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:56:51 AM
714199 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dang, comp's making crazy noises... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dang, comp's making crazy noises...  (Read 1875 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 10, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »

Keep hearing this grinding sound coming from my computer.  I took it apart and I THINK I've foudn the source... I'd got a dual core computer, one of these where the motherboard is split into two parts and connected by a bridge.  One on of them, the fan is moving a lot slower than on the other, press my finger up against the part nearest to it and I feel it's definitely warmer than the one below. 

Not sure what to do, I've sprayed compressed air into it several times, blasting out bits of dust and other stuff, I've been taken a wet t-tip and ran it through the blades as best as I could, but still the noises persists (although it's not as loud as it was). 

Guess I'm going to have to risk further dismantling the motherboard, although that's not something I've had much experience with.  Not sure, but I'm guessing if have the processor burns out that'll screw up the computer big time.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there and get some advice.  I know it's definitely as it has a lose sticker on top, and, as I watch, the "spin" of the fan slowerly while the grinding noise was occuring, so they're definitely connected. 

Maybe my stepdad can fix it, he's always been good with computers...

Wish me luck.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »

It is most likely the fan, and they're easy to replace. One or two (up to four) screws to remove, get a replacement fan (they're usually under $10), put it in place and screw it down. Done!

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »

Yeah, sounds like the fan is on its last legs.  This place has a ton of them http://www.coolerguys.com/fans.html Though you'll probably want to pick one up locally as it's something that should be fixed immediately  TeddyR  I like the Scythe S-Flex fans, they're really quiet and are supposed to last for years.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BTM

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »

Hey guys!  Meant to update this... anyway, so I took apart my computer (well, took it apart further I should say) and was surprised at how easy it was for the most part. 

Anyway, it's not my processor, it's actually my graphics card that's making the noises.  It's a NVvidia GEForce 6600.  One of those 128kb cards with two 64kb parts with a bridge inbetween.  For some reason the fan on the bottom part isn't moving that fast.  I was able to pull both parts out easily, but I could not disassemble the fan.  It had these REAL tiny screws on it that I could NOT get off, even using my eye glass repair kit screwdrivers (what is it with tiny screws that make them so damn hard to move?)

Anyway, I figure I'll just replace the graphics card if it gets too bad.  You could tell the fan's definitely not moving well, the other one I should push with my finger and it'd easily spin a full turn or two before stopping, this one, not so much. 

Just need to make sure i get a replacement card that'll work out with my machine.  I get the feeling if I get one that's too new it won't run right with my computer. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »

Just need to make sure i get a replacement card that'll work out with my machine.  I get the feeling if I get one that's too new it won't run right with my computer. 

Well you need to make sure that the connection type for the card you want to get works with the port on your Motherboard.  How old is your computer might I ask.  Do you know the specs for your Motherboard, this will help you to know what types of cards your Motherboard can support.  Once you find out the specs check out sites like tigerdirect.com or newegg.com and look at the specs for cards that you may have interest in getting. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dang, comp's making crazy noises... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.