Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:46:45 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Silent Running (1971) *Spoiler Alert* « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Silent Running (1971) *Spoiler Alert*  (Read 6215 times)
New Visitor

« on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:10 AM »

Many consider this movie a classic science fiction. I've always kind of liked the movie; until I sat down and watched it for the first time in 10 years. I have to tell you, I like it a lot less this time around. I mean, I have no sympathy for the Bruce Dern character. Right from the get go, he seems extremely disturbed and ready to snap at any moment. He has this crazed, fanatical, look in his eye for most of the movie. In fact, it doesn't take much to provoke him to commit murder (or- "self defense"). He shows little or no remorse. And then in the very end, he's about to be rescued- he commits suicide! Pretty uplifting! So, there's this dome floating around space with a bunch of ferns and shrubbery. What happens when the power runs out? What happens when the drone malfunctions? Furthermore, why destroy the domes in the first place? All the time and money cultivating the trees and wildlife and then all of a sudden- arbitrarily blowing it up?! Even from the get go, the Bruce Dern came across as real nut case. In fact, I feel sorry for his crew members having to put up with him. After all, they were only doing there job when they were given orders to blow everything up.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »

That is the question that has always bugged me about this movie. Why blow up the domes? It makes no sense when it's cheaper, safer and easier to just abandon them. For that matter, it seemed like they could go right on functioning indefinitely without a human presence or a ship attached to them, considering that was how the movie ended. The whole plot depended on decisions that made absolutely no sense, except that they gave the hero a motive.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:00:02 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »

They had to blow up the domes because bludgeoning the audience over the head with environmentalism was the whole point of the movie.  The non-environmentalists couldn't be sufficiently demonized unless they nuked the pretty little flowers and the bunnies.

I too liked this back when I was a kid, but when I tried watching it again a year ago, I couldn't make it past the first half hour.  Cool special effects though.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Silent Running (1971) *Spoiler Alert* « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.