Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:36 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Interesting (and hilarious) Avatar review « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting (and hilarious) Avatar review  (Read 5571 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 19, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »

This guy makes a LOT of great points, and is really funny to boot.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Also, as great as these reviews are, you GOTTA check out his review of The Phantom Menace.  Yes, it's long (about seven parts) but it's WELL worth it.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Luchi
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:41:39 AM »

Avatar has not the best of storyline.  But TITANIC had better. I like the movie AVATAR for  modern technology it used and excellent camera work. But TITANIC is ....TITANIC. No comparison.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »

You know why I have absolutely no interest in the stuff Hollywood puts out?  Because I haven't even seen this movie, yet if I were to write a review based on my expectations of it, it would have been identical to this review, right down to each and every specific.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »

Thi guy has some of the best reviews.  I loved the Phantom Meanace one.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Luchi
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:08:07 AM »

My prediction was right. That's why Avatar  won only 2 OSCAR awards. But Hurt Locker won 6 with best movie and director award . Hurt locker , though a small budget film defeated the High budget film Avatar.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:07:14 AM »

Avatar has not the best of storyline.  But TITANIC had better. I like the movie AVATAR for  modern technology it used and excellent camera work. But TITANIC is ....TITANIC. No comparison.

I'd have to disagree.  Titanic's storyline is extremely weak and stretched very thin over its runtime.  It also manages to be even less original than Avatar's.  It's an incredible technical accomplishment, but I found the drama to be largely empty of emotion.  Avatar, on the other hand, while it also some pretty weak writing (and several pieces of wince-inducing dialogue that any good script editor would have nixed), had a far greater effect on me.

That guy's reviews are incredible.  I also couldn't really argue against many of his points, even when I disagreed with his conclusions.  I enjoyed Avatar a lot more than he did, obviously.

His Phantom Menace review is the best deconstruction of what is wrong with *any* film I think I've ever seen.
BTM

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »

His Phantom Menace review is the best deconstruction of what is wrong with *any* film I think I've ever seen.

What's wrong with your face?!?

;)

shahid74
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 04:43:50 AM »

You can't comparison with Titanic, Titanic was an emotional romantic movie and did very good job. I like Avatar for the modern technology.
BTM

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »

Just for the record, unlike some, I didn't hate the movie.  I thought it was VERY beautiful, scenery and design wise.  The look and creature were amazing and it had some good performances and I definitely felt I got $11 worth, but high grossing film of all time?!?  Uh... no.  

One of my biggest criticism is, like others have said, most of the main character were just way too one dimensional, and the Na'Vi are just way too perfect for a society just a step or two above stone age peoples.

I mean, think about it... for starters, apparently there's no racism on Pandora (although when everyone pretty looks the same, I suppose racism is pretty much pointless.)

We don't see any evidence that they drink, smoke or do any type of drugs, something every known primitive society engaged in.  Course, come to think of it, maybe "hooking up" to that big tree was a type of drug.  Would give an alternate explanation to that whole "hearing our ancestors' voices" thing.  

They're not the least bit interested in human technology, even though humans of this era travel between planets, that totally bores them.  Modern medicine?  Better methods of growing food?  Weather proof shelter? Ah, who needs it?   Guess they don't worry much about dying young from disease, face starvation, harsh weather and their women always survive giving birth okay.  (I'm assuming that since the females have boobs, that they have live birth as part of their reproductive cycle.)  

In an interview James Cameron counters some of this criticism by pointing out that Pandora is a very dangerous place, but I'd argue from the film it only seems dangerous if you're some backward human.  With the exception of the large dragon creature, the natives don't seem to ever fall prey to or be in danger from the local wildlife.  

Anyway, I suppose if they have a sequel, maybe they'll delve more into the details of the Na'Vi and we'll get a fuller picture of their culture and ups and downs of their civilization, but somehow I can't help but think that any future eps will recycle the "Na'vi vs them evil humans" plot.  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:52:01 PM by BTM » Logged

Jim H

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »

It came across as half-baked, but I think part of the reason the Na'Vi were rejecting everything from the humans was supposed to be a lack of trust.  They did have a reason to completely distrust humanity, after all. 

For a real-life comparison, think of some of the people in Africa today rejecting HIV and AIDS drugs because of its supposed side effects (impotence, as I recall). 

Or, for that matter, the Sentinelese/Hi-Merima and their rejection of everybody.  Not everybody finds modern tech and civilization desirable.   
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Interesting (and hilarious) Avatar review « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.