Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:37 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DRUGS « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: DRUGS  (Read 34929 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »

Drugs are drugs. "Oxycontin" is basically heroin, don't sell yourself that is anything better than.

Oh, DEFFINATLY, dude! I have no arguement with you there. I agree completely! Anything that even RESEMBLES heroin I won't even be in the same ROOM as.

Then I hope you never have to have an operation, then, or get kidney stones or back problems or a severe toothache.  Every prescription painkiller resembles heroin.   Wink

In fact, heroin should never have been made strictly illegal (Schedule I).  It is not as strong as fentanyl (Schedule II), which can be legally prescribed for chronic pain.

I honestly think demonizing certain drugs over others is the wrong way to look at things.  What matters most is the way the drug is being used (or abused), not the drug itself. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »

Drugs are drugs. "Oxycontin" is basically heroin, don't sell yourself that is anything better than.

Oh, DEFFINATLY, dude! I have no arguement with you there. I agree completely! Anything that even RESEMBLES heroin I won't even be in the same ROOM as.

Then I hope you never have to have an operation, then, or get kidney stones or back problems or a severe toothache.  Every prescription painkiller resembles heroin.   Wink

In fact, heroin should never have been made strictly illegal (Schedule I).  It is not as strong as fentanyl (Schedule II), which can be legally prescribed for chronic pain.

I honestly think demonizing certain drugs over others is the wrong way to look at things.  What matters most is the way the drug is being used (or abused), not the drug itself. 

Thank you, Rev. It never ceases to amaze me how refreshing the sound of the voice of reason can be.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Vik
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »

Has anyone actually ever don shrooms? The effect seems amazingly awesome. I've been reading up about it.

I'm actually pro the legalization for all drugs. For these reasons:

-Prohibition doesn't work.
-It overpopulates prisons and creates criminals that aren't really criminals because
-in my opinion, every human over the age of 18 can decide for himself what he does to his/her own body. The people doing or wanting to do drugs, or anybody else is not the product of the government, and should be free to do what they want to do if it doesn't harm others. Drugs can only harm oneself, and if I want to hurt myself, I think I should be allowed to.
-There would be an assurance of what you're buying is actually what you want to buy, I'm certain that there's a lot of filthy stuff in street drugs that shouldn't be in it.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »

During the 70's, I tried acid, speed, not really my bag. I smoked pot for years, would still do it if it were legal.

Never tried (or even seen) crack, ice, ecstasy, any of that stuff. I have a forty every once in a while, but I'd rather have a joint.

Smoked cigarettes, a pack a day, for twenty-five years; the Lord took away the habit, without so much as a craving.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »

Has anyone actually ever don shrooms? The effect seems amazingly awesome. I've been reading up about it.

I'm actually pro the legalization for all drugs. For these reasons:

-Prohibition doesn't work.
-It overpopulates prisons and creates criminals that aren't really criminals because
-in my opinion, every human over the age of 18 can decide for himself what he does to his/her own body. The people doing or wanting to do drugs, or anybody else is not the product of the government, and should be free to do what they want to do if it doesn't harm others. Drugs can only harm oneself, and if I want to hurt myself, I think I should be allowed to.
-There would be an assurance of what you're buying is actually what you want to buy, I'm certain that there's a lot of filthy stuff in street drugs that shouldn't be in it.

I agree fundamentally. The problem is that the prison industry has become a big business. The last thing prison owners want is for there to be less inmates. They are probably the biggest opponents of decriminalization. They definitely want to keep them prisons filled.

Jim H

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

Then I hope you never have to have an operation, then, or get kidney stones or back problems or a severe toothache.  Every prescription painkiller resembles heroin.

Ah yes.  I had a kidney stone a while ago.  Morphine is your best friend when that happens.  It may alter your perspective when you're basically begging for heroin (the two drugs are practically the same).
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »

I'm not sure what the dentist gave me, but a couple years back, I had all four wisdom teeth out.  Let's just say, for a couple weeks I was happy.

Possibly too happy.  Since then I've since done every drug out there and frankly, I don't like the direction I'm going.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

You may or may not hear much from me in the next few weeks.  Long story, but things may happen.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »

Sounds reasonable, hey.  You can do all the drugs you want, if you just don't drive...   oh, that's right!  Your judgement was impaired and you forgot not to drive when you killed my brother by vehicular manslaughter!  But.. you should have the right to choose to be impaired and to forget that you ought not to drive, I suppose.  It's a free country after all.

And when you're all strung out and stealing aluminum siding off of houses and swiping manhole covers (have seen both of those things done around here), well, I shouldn't worry about the cost of that crime.  And you should get to choose to degrade yourself to a state of needing to steal tens of thousands from your parents to have drug-fueled weekends to avoid being strung out.  I mean, what good are parents without second mortgages?  Tough love isn't love, nope, not in our book.  it's a free country.

And that guy I took care of when I was a resident -- the guy who had been skin popping and his entire rear end was one solid interconnected series of abscesses and fistula... that guy, who needed weeks in the hospital, IV antibiotics, lots of surgery and a loooong nursing home stay... well, I'm sure he paid for that out of pocket, I can't imagine anyone else bore the cost of that.   I'm positive, looking back, that he had 200 grand socked away in a medical savings account, and if he didn't, well, I'm sure he was going to work a high-paying job for several years to pay off his obligation.  Well, maybe the hospital or the insurance companies did, now that I think about it.  But that's them, that doesn't affect me.  Or you.  Lookingup

I don't agree with you here, because there is a societal cost.  You can try to pretend that there isn't, but there is.  I could go on at greatly more length than I already unnecessarily have.  And my opinion is that for large-scale self-destructive choices like this (not the more arguable ones) -- choices that have NO upside and only large and mind-bogglingly obvious downsides -- for these kinds of choices, if you truly did live in a vacuum I'd agree with you.   But I think that if you really thought about it for a moment, you'd realize that this is not how it really is.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:46 AM »

^ Hear hear!   Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Vik
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »

Sounds reasonable, hey.  You can do all the drugs you want, if you just don't drive...   oh, that's right!  Your judgement was impaired and you forgot not to drive when you killed my brother by vehicular manslaughter!  But.. you should have the right to choose to be impaired and to forget that you ought not to drive, I suppose.  It's a free country after all.

And when you're all strung out and stealing aluminum siding off of houses and swiping manhole covers (have seen both of those things done around here), well, I shouldn't worry about the cost of that crime.  And you should get to choose to degrade yourself to a state of needing to steal tens of thousands from your parents to have drug-fueled weekends to avoid being strung out.  I mean, what good are parents without second mortgages?  Tough love isn't love, nope, not in our book.  it's a free country.

And that guy I took care of when I was a resident -- the guy who had been skin popping and his entire rear end was one solid interconnected series of abscesses and fistula... that guy, who needed weeks in the hospital, IV antibiotics, lots of surgery and a loooong nursing home stay... well, I'm sure he paid for that out of pocket, I can't imagine anyone else bore the cost of that.   I'm positive, looking back, that he had 200 grand socked away in a medical savings account, and if he didn't, well, I'm sure he was going to work a high-paying job for several years to pay off his obligation.  Well, maybe the hospital or the insurance companies did, now that I think about it.  But that's them, that doesn't affect me.  Or you.  Lookingup

I don't agree with you here, because there is a societal cost.  You can try to pretend that there isn't, but there is.  I could go on at greatly more length than I already unnecessarily have.  And my opinion is that for large-scale self-destructive choices like this (not the more arguable ones) -- choices that have NO upside and only large and mind-bogglingly obvious downsides -- for these kinds of choices, if you truly did live in a vacuum I'd agree with you.   But I think that if you really thought about it for a moment, you'd realize that this is not how it really is.

Many the drugs even render its user unable to even get in a car. You act as if all drugs make one go on a crazy rampage, which is not the case. You want to illegalize alcohol just because there's the possibility someone could get in his car and might have an accident? It's a reason, but a weak one. What they should have installed in a car is some kind of breathing test to see if the driver's fit for the job, which would be a solution to that whole problem. And I do believe that that's being worked on.
I never said thievery was okay, of course not. And legalizing drugs would cheapen them greatly, so that certain scenario about putting the poor parents in debt wouldn't be that bad at all.
It's their choice. Illegalizing all things that don't have upsides is nonsensical. You act as if legalizing drugs is the equivallent of legalizing murder and thievery, which it isn't. Really, most of things you mentioned are overly dramatic pseudo-arguments.

But all that doesn't even matter, because you forgot the most vital thing I've said: Prohibition doesn't at all work. All of those downsides will still be there, but they will be helped, even, to an extent. And the legalization of drugs would have ample other good effects on society.

(EDIT: Also, the fact that drugs are illegal is life-ruining as well. Peeps doing only recreational drugs, not hurting anyone in any way, get the label of criminal, get sent to jail, even if they did nothing wrong, looking at it logically.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:31:03 AM by Pillow » Logged
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »

There's stll the question of considerable medical expenses to pay for all those who will inevitably OD and those who will be inadequate in society to function at any job.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Vik
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »

There's stll the question of considerable medical expenses to pay for all those who will inevitably OD and those who will be inadequate in society to function at any job.
Not really, because again, prohibition doesn't work. This would be a valid concern if you thought everyone would start doing drugs if it were made illegal, which simply wouldn't be the case. The large proportion of people wanting to do drugs are doing it, but the majority of people have no interest in doing heroine, et al.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »

Nothing you posted was inaccurate. Not at all. However, does that mean there is not cost to drug prohibition? There most certainly is. The people have to pay for the enforcement of those crimes, for the corrupt law enforcement agencies that deliberately allow guns to be sold over the border to drug lords, the cost of border patrol, the cost of the prison system that is like a business that very much wants the prisons to be filled with people. None of that carries a cost with it?

Drug decriminalization and drug prohibition both cost a ton. Let's be honest here. And for anyone to say that either one "works" is just plain ignorant. They can't even keep illegal drugs out of a place that is supposed to be tightly controlled like a prison, for f***'s sake. And decriminalization has it's costs as well.I favor personal responsibility for one's actions, always have, always will. I'm for a better approach than what we have now, so if you have one, I'm all ears. Is the decriminalization approach in Portugal perfect? Of course not, but it made things better and resulted in decreases in drug use, and it's a hell of a lot better than this corrupt system we have in place here. Until I hear a better approach, I'm in favor of decriminalization.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »

It's interesting the straight edge band Good Clean Fun did this song about the "War on drugs"...

Small | Large

Still I really wonder if the cost might no be too high but then again, maybe it already is...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DRUGS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.