Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:11 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DRUGS « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Author Topic: DRUGS  (Read 34466 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 03:50:26 AM »

so it's topical here in Bumf@k Egypt.

Buggedout Buggedout

Is that where you live, RC? I thought you were a Van Bueren County boy.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
joejoeherron
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 06:35:35 AM »

haven't did drugs in years. even then, it was a little pot or acid.  Had to go to AA a few years back. It does help, although the holding hands at the end does bug some people.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »

People tell me now I should do it to "chill out". 

That would probably be a good idea, you get a bit stressed at times.  I think you should stay nicely toasted all through the Christmas season  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

I smoked pot from the early '80s to the mid '90s.  Good stuff that marijuana  TeddyR  I prefer it to alcohol.  Now it's just beer on the weekends.  I'm such a law-abiding citizen  Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 08:49:55 AM »

I lost one brother to heroin and another to alcohol.  My father was a drunk for a good part of his life, but then he got religion.

From the time I was 16 until  I was about 30 I drank enough beer to float and aircraft carrier.  Hell, when I was in the Navy in the 70's smoking and drinking were encouraged.

I haven't had a drink in over 20 years.  Never tried any drugs.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
3mnkids

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 08:54:49 AM »

I was a heavy drug user and alcoholic by 14. I did everything, other than shooting up, at one time. A stint in rehab, a couple of hospital stays and a few seizures later... im clean and sober.. 15 yrs sober, 17 drug free.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »

im clean and sober.. 15 yrs sober, 17 drug free.

Smile That deserves a karma and a hug as well.  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »

I'm a baby of the 60's and a child of the 70's ~ I've never smoked anything stronger than a Marlboro or the infamous 'Madison' cigarettes, the latter known as the Zimbabwean coffin nail.  Buggedout

No drugs for me ~ when my dad and I were watching the re-runs of the TV series Family Affair, he pointed to Anissa Jones and said "See that girl, son? Drugs took her life. Drugs killed her: don't do them, now or ever. " That scared the living crap out of me ~ I don't even take prescription drugs, even though I actually have to.

Alcohol: nothing more than a ice cold beer now and then ~ the last time I had a beer was on December 31 2009.  Drink Dad had an alcohol problem and I didn't want that too.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »

I was trying to compose a response, but Indy said it best for me too: "Never tried them and have no interest in doing so.  Not trying to be self righteous, it's just never had any appeal for me."  I had friends who were of the "Why not?" philosophy; my personal orientation was (and is) more toward asking "Why??" and I could not come up with any reason at all.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »

Would only differ with your post, Rev, in this:  some drugs simply cannot be used responsibly -- the most highly addictive stimulants, for example, have very few users who could qualify as "responsible."  (Met any meth users who held down a job and a life for years?)  In that sense, I disagree -- some substances are simply harmful and without ANY redeeming qualities except when used in carefully prescriptive ways.   Some drugs, though, have for most practical purposes no redeeming value.    That's true of some prescription drugs by the way, too.

Sure, there is a spectrum.  Some drugs are so addictive that the vast majority of people will abuse them.  So for "practical" purposes you're right.  But just as obviously, even the most addictive drugs like methamphetamine can be used responsibly: as you say, "in carefully prescriptive ways."  Many people don't even realize that methamphetamine is not a Schedule I drug like marijuana or heroin.  Doctors can prescribe it for narcolepsy, ADD, obesity, or depression.  Of course, when doctors (rarely) prescribe it, it's used orally and in lower, safer dosages than street users would use it trying to get high. 

Saying certain drugs are uncategorically bad is a sort of social shorthand: the danger of abuse for some substances is so high we treat it as if it were an absolute evil.  I can understand why as a society we might want to do that.  But I also think it's more accurate, and possibly more enlightening, to think of the drug abuse problem as a problem of behavior among people and the way they use drugs, rather than supposing that the chemicals themselves are inherently evil.             

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »

Well prescription drugs sometimes can mean the difference between life and death so I wouldn't discourage their use, just their abuse.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »

Well prescription drugs sometimes can mean the difference between life and death so I wouldn't discourage their use, just their abuse.

Well put, but one thing I would like to add is even if it's not a "life or death" sort of thing, some prescription drugs used as they are intended to be used, can mean the difference between a productive life or a miserable one.

For instance, I take medicine to improve my attention and to keep me from feeling too jumpy. I have ADHD (it might not be called that anymore) as well as other conditions that are improved through drugs.  Without them things can be pretty horrible.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »

I've only been drunk 3 times, and only one out of those times did i have any fun. The other 2 times i thrEw up all over the place. Its a rare ocasion when i get drunk with my friends. Usually I'll be the only one sober among the pack, and I still mannage to have a great time.

I tried pot 2ice, but it didnt have any effect on me either time, so i said "f**k this". that was a little over a year ago.

Lastly, every once in a LOOONG time, i'll try some perscription drug just out of curiosity. Just 2 days ago, i poped 3 of my pals muscle relaxers, but like pot, it had no effect on me.

Thats really about it. For the most part, I actually very clean.

My ex-girlfriend did alot of pot and did cocaine when she had the dough for it. Probobly part of the reason she's my ex.

My overall view on drugs is this:
There are those who can handle it, and those who cant.

*Those who can, I have no problem with. One of my best friends does all KINDS of drugs at his army base, and he doesnt let it take control of his life or his health.

*Those who CANT, I really loathe. These are the people who break into people homes and steal things so they can make enough money to get their fix. I HATE these people. Also, the people who can't have fun without drugs or alchohol. I pitty these poor shmucks.

*Then there's the type who do it because they're sad. I have a few friends who have done this.
example- I had a few pals who were TOTALLY streight edge. Wouldnt even TOUCH the junk until thier girls gave 'em the slip. then it was all "BOO HOO WOE IS ME" and they IMIDIETLY started drinking and smoking. makes me sick.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »

not me, but one of my friends did LSD. He is still doing it, even when the 9 of us try to convince him to stop  Bluesad

Is your friend a bird by any chance?  Wink

The good news with LSD is that it's effects begin to lose their power/novelty, and most people gradually lose interest in it after taking several trips.  There are very few lifelong LSD abusers.         

Good News, he quitted today and will not do it again!

yeah no.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »

I'm with Indy and Newt. Never saw the point. Plus, I grew up in a small town, with my father being a deputy sheriff and my mother a teacher in my school. I couldn't have gotten away with anything anywhere anyway.

The strongest drug I recall ever taking was a prescription muscle relaxer to help with whiplash pain. I walked, or rather floated, around about 6 inches off the ground (at least it felt that way) for a couple of hours. I never took another one; I just don't like feeling out of control like that. As for alcohol, I simply can't stand the smell of it, nor the taste. I don't care whether it's in beer, wine, or hard liquor, or if there's just a drop in some other beverage, the alcohol is all I can taste, and I don't like it. A couple of friends who were at least borderline alcoholics have told me I'm very lucky in that. I tend to believe them.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  DRUGS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.