Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:18:39 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most overrated metal albums/ bands? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most overrated metal albums/ bands?  (Read 9312 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 21, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »

Ever wonder why some metal bands are hyped to hell? Can you think of an album or band that recieves tons of praise but you just don't get it?
For me, Slayer's Reign In Blood falls into this category. I enjoyed their previous work somewhat, but this one just didn't do it for me for some reason. Yet it's regarded as the pinnacle of thrash/speed metal. Weird. Anyway, nowadays I refer to Slayer as "redneck metal" along with all those so-called "brutal" death metal bands (ie: Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Mortician, Suffocation). f**k that s**t - it's for pimply faced 14 year olds who can't get their hands on better music. So what are your thoughts on this topic?

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »

Metallica's Metallica seriously, that one song started it all, Enter Sandman

yeah no.
voltron

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »

Right on Bull, the Black album made me give up on the band. It was just so amazingly mediocre and insipid that i couldn't fathom how such a great band a few years prior could f**k up so royally and release something that was just plain weak and uninspired.
Yet it was their "breakthrough" hit that sent them into the mainstream, so go figure.  Lookingup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »

Right on Bull, the Black album made me give up on the band. It was just so amazingly mediocre and insipid that i couldn't fathom how such a great band a few years prior could f**k up so royally and release something that was just plain weak and uninspired.
Yet it was their "breakthrough" hit that sent them into the mainstream, so go figure.  Lookingup

Of course it was.   That's par for the course.
Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:07:03 AM »

In my opinion a lot of the black metal albums of the 90s are very overrated (with some exceptions such as Immortal's "Battle in the North"), and I feel the same way about a lot of the death metal bands in the 90s (with some exceptions such as Death, Obituary, Bolt Thrower, Suffocation, Carcass and a handful of other original bands). I also think a lot of the nü metal bands are overrated - not so much having to do with the quality of their music, but with the fact that a lot of them sounded the same; there wasn't a lot of originality going on.

I don't know if I think that Metallica's black album is overrated - I mean, it does contain a whole bunch of solid metal/rock songs a lot of which I really like, but still, it's nowhere as complex, hard-hitting or interesting as "Master of Puppets" or "...And Justice for All" or even "Ride the Lightening", and I'd pick those over the black album any day.

Action fighter: "I wouldn't turn your back on me if I was you".
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »

I have to stick up for the black album a bit. I think it's metallica's best album, even if it is more streamlined and 'commercial' than the ones before it.

I think we can all agree 'St Anger' sucks though. (perhaps?)

personally I cannot stand any of these pretentious, soulless 'prog-metal' bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, DragonForce etc. they're all style and technique, no substance or originality. (although I do have a close friend who like these bands, hence me being aware of them in the first place)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
voltron

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »

personally I cannot stand any of these pretentious, soulless 'prog-metal' bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, DragonForce etc. they're all style and technique, no substance or originality. (although I do have a close friend who like these bands, hence me being aware of them in the first place)

Totally agree with ya there, DCA. DT make me sick to my stomach. I bought one of their albums a few years back (think it was "Faling Into Infinity"), and I couldn't believe how utterly pretentious it was.  Hatred

Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:54:34 AM »

I think we can all agree 'St Anger' sucks though. (perhaps?)

No, we can't ;-) I quite like it.

I love prog metal. I'm not that much into DragonForce, but I love the many far out guitar techniques they use. I really like Dream Theater and Symphony X, though, as well as Fates Warning, Anubis Gate, Cynic and I also think John Arch's solo EP a lot.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »

I might get a lot of flack thrown my way, but, I think Judas Priest is vastly overrated.  As is Slayer.  Granted, I like individual songs by them, BUT, on the whole, I feel their overall output is quite not up to snuff.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
voltron

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »

I might get a lot of flack thrown my way, but, I think Judas Priest is vastly overrated.  As is Slayer.  Granted, I like individual songs by them, BUT, on the whole, I feel their overall output is quite not up to snuff.

I see where you're coming from about Priest, Happy. I absolutely love their early 70s to early 80s stuff, but the rest is pretty mediocre.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »

Oh my Good god I couldn't disagree more.  Painkiller is like the 9th wonder the world.  20 years later it still blows my mind how hard one song can rock
voltron

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »

Oh my Good god I couldn't disagree more.  Painkiller is like the 9th wonder the world.  20 years later it still blows my mind how hard one song can rock
s**t. Sorry about that, Lester, Painkiller is a really great album. My fave song is "A Touch Of Evil".

Cthulhu

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:42:43 AM »

Oh, yes it is the 9th wonder of the world. That album rocks.
Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 02:01:42 PM »

Painkiller's a super great album. I love it!!!

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 02:28:55 PM »

I might get a lot of flack thrown my way, but, I think Judas Priest is vastly overrated.

Wow!  Buggedout Priest overrated?  BounceGiggle

They are the definition of heavy metal. Rob Halford's vocal abilities twinned with the technical mastery of both Tipton and Downing on guitar, is unmatched in the metal world. Yes, they've had their duff songs, a few duff albums but their influence is monsterous. They took what Black Sabbath created back in '70 and went supernova with it.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most overrated metal albums/ bands? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.