Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:27:12 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most underrated metal albums/ bands? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most underrated metal albums/ bands?  (Read 6151 times)
Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« on: February 23, 2010, 04:15:55 AM »

Now that we have a thread where we can trash overrated metal bands/albums, here's a thread where we can praise the most underrated metal bands/albums.

I think that Anubis Gate are a very underrated, and overlooked, progressive metal bands with four releases behind them (three of which are really strong) - especially their two latest albums, the aci-fi themed concept albums "Andromeda Unchained" and "The Detached" are really worth listening to. Anubis Gate consists of experienced and skilled musicians who have a flair for composing complex, unisual but yet catchy tunes.

The thrash band Artillery are also a very underrated. Having released the technical and influential (among metal musicians at least) album "By Inheritance", they certainly deserve more attention from the public than they get right now.

Similarly, the British thrash metallers in Xentrix are incredibly underrated, having released a handful of quite original thrash albums - unfortunately, people were more interested in hearing them covering the Ghostbusters theme song than pleaying their own material.

Action fighter: "I wouldn't turn your back on me if I was you".
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »

Anvil, they gave Metallica the influence.

yeah no.
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:07:25 AM »

Sword's Metalized and Sweet Dreams - killer power metal from Canada that never really got the recognition they deserved.
Living Death's Protected From Reality - excellent German thrash that fell under the radar.
Any handfull of semi-obscure NWOBHM bands (ie: Trespass)
Restless - We Rock The Nation - Great traditional German hard rock/metal.
I'm sure there's a ton of others that I can't really think of right now.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:17 AM »

Similarly, the British thrash metallers in Xentrix are incredibly underrated, having released a handful of quite original thrash albums - unfortunately, people were more interested in hearing them covering the Ghostbusters theme song than pleaying their own material.
I used to have 'For Whose Advantage' on cassette. remember liking it, years since I heard it though

'Shock Tactics' by Samson is pretty underrated. just before bruce dickinson left for Iron Maiden. I don't really like any of Samson's other LPs.

Deviated Instinct 'Gutteral Breath' is great, not many people have heard it.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
voltron

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

'Shock Tactics' by Samson is pretty underrated. just before bruce dickinson left for Iron Maiden. I don't really like any of Samson's other LPs.

I have a compilation of Samson's first 2 albums called Head Tactics on cassette - "Vice Versa" is a wicked song!  Thumbup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »

I think the German thrash/speed band Assassin got a pretty raw deal. They were just as good as other German bands like Destruction, Sodom, and Kreator, or American groups like Exodus or Nuclear Assault, but got kind of lost in the shuffle. They felt more like Anthrax than anything else, with their sloppier thrash style (the other German bands tended to have a tighter, cleaner sound than their cousins from the U.S.), and less serious/somber attitudes (they wrote a song about junk food, for pete's sake), although they did touch upon war/politics like pretty much EVERY freakin' thrash/speed band of the era, but they got kind of missed by the Americans, and, like I said, they didn't really fit in with the other German groups, so they sort of got lost in the shuffle.

I also agree with you guys who said Artillery and Anvil (although Anvil are, thankfully, finally getting some recognition thanks to all the hype about Anvil: The Story Of Anvil and the way VH1 has been promoting the thing pretty much nonstop on some of their channels). I especially like Anvil, and actually think they should've been just as famous as some of the bigger thrash bands of the 80's. Technically they were part of that strain of post-NWOBHM American "power metal" that ultimately evolved into thrash, although they were one of those groups who didn't go into thrash themselves, which is ironic, considering I think that they were one of the thrashiest pre-thrash groups going, and songs like Metal On Metal, though called "power metal" (not to be confused with how we typically define "power metal" nowadays: i.e. Statovarius, Blind Guardian, etc.) are really proto-thrash.

Staying on the topic of thrash/speed metal, I would've liked to see more accolades for Agent Steel, Hirax, and Holy Terror as well. And getting off the topic of thrash and dipping into death metal for a minute, I love Impetigo, and I think they too often get forgotten as a HORROR band (not a "gore" group) in favor of purely gore-oriented bands like Cannibal Corpse (ugh). I'm actually a really, really big fan of death metal (mainly early 90's), but, conversely, I don't like "gore" bands. HORROR, yes. Gore, no. There's a difference, you know? And speaking of death metal, just though I'd throw out a quick complaint and say that whoever started this new freaking "slam metal" trend needs to be freakin' gutted. Devourment sucks. Nuff said.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:49:49 AM »

Anvil, they gave Metallica the influence.

I agree. I love the "Metal on Metal" album; there's not one single weak song on it. "This is Thirteen" is also an ass-kicker!

diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »

As a King Diamond fan, I choose to defend what I consider to be his most underrated album: The Graveyard.

Sure, it's no Abigail or "Them",  but it still has some great memorable songs (i.e. Black Hill Sanitarium, Heads on the Wall, Digging Graves, Meet Me at Midnight, the list goes on.). The only song that I would consider weak on the album is the track "Voices". It just sounds like some bad broadway knock-off. Otherwise, the rest of the album is a classic.

If you ever pick this album up, I guarantee the song "Digging Graves" will be stuck in your head (not that it's a bad thing.).
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:30:49 PM »

I have a compilation of Samson's first 2 albums called Head Tactics on cassette - "Vice Versa" is a wicked song!  Thumbup
I think Head on was actually their 2nd album and Shock Tactics was their 3rd. their first album I don't think even had bruce dickinson on vocals so I think they dis-owned it. might be wrong about that but anyway. - talking of bruce dickinson I should mention Iron Maiden's other singer Blayze Bailey's first band Wolfsbane. their album "Down Fall the good Guys" is a hard rock/metal classic, they never really got too well known though

Time_Signature
Welcome to the zone...
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:51:59 PM »

As a King Diamond fan, I choose to defend what I consider to be his most underrated album: The Graveyard.

Oh yeah, I love that album. Espcially "Black Hill Sanitarium" is a magnificent track.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »

Coroner. they did some pretty sick technical metal that didn't forget how to rock
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »

Dunno if we're talking strictly 'lesser known' style bands, but, a few more widely known bands I feel don't get enough credit:
Anthrax
White Zombie
Discharge (although, well, they could be called punk, but had some thrash)
Trespass

A few others I can think of, but names escape me now.  Some would disagree about the first two, but they don't get a lot of credit.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
voltron

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »

might be wrong about that but anyway. - talking of bruce dickinson I should mention Iron Maiden's other singer Blayze Bailey's first band Wolfsbane. their album "Down Fall the good Guys" is a hard rock/metal classic, they never really got too well known though

Yeah I remember Wolfsbane from their first album "Live Fast, Die Fast". It wasn't too shabby, really. I remember reading an interview with them in Metal Hammer many years back and they joked that Blaze could sing for Maiden because he looks quite a bit like Bruce Bruce. Kind of a shame, really. He should've stuck it out with his first band in my opinion.

spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »

Manowar (pure and simple, the corniest, the MOST METAL!!!)

Lard (basically the band Ministry from by Jello Biafra)

Spazztic Blurr ("If you're serious, you lose")
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »

Yeah I remember Wolfsbane from their first album "Live Fast, Die Fast". It wasn't too shabby, really. I remember reading an interview with them in Metal Hammer many years back and they joked that Blaze could sing for Maiden because he looks quite a bit like Bruce Bruce. Kind of a shame, really. He should've stuck it out with his first band in my opinion.

I agree. apparently he didn't even tell the rest of the band he was leaving, and only told them they'd split once he'd joined iron maiden. I don't really like any of the albums he did with Iron maiden though. his voice was right for Wolfsbane but not for them, I mean can you imagine going to see Iron Maiden and Blaze Bailey singing tracks like Number Of The Beast?

I remembered another band who's first 2 albums I really like, and that's Love/Hate. they went off the boil a bit afdter that but their 1st two albums have some corkers on.

Small | Large

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most underrated metal albums/ bands? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.