Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:06:50 AM
714254 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DESCENT PART II - DEEPER AND DARKER (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE DESCENT PART II - DEEPER AND DARKER (2009)  (Read 2521 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: April 30, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »

I liked THE DESCENT.  Ever since I first saw TROG as a kid, and read the Mines of Moria chapter in THE LORD OF THE RINGS, I have been intrigued with the idea of horrible, mutated creatures lurking in the deep places of the earth. 
The first movie captured this fascination of mine purposely.  The six female spelunkers, with their baggage and back stories, becoming fodder for the nasty cave beasts was horrifically rendered and made for very fun viewing.
  This movie picks up shortly after the other left off.  Sarah, the Final Girl from THE DESCENT, has found her way to the surface and is picked up by a passing motorist just as a search party is giving up finding the missing girls in the cave on their "Flight Plan" - which, of course, they  never visited, going instead for the uncharted cave one of them had found a few weeks earlier - a cave inhabited by mutated, carnivorous humanoids.  (Dare we call them Cannibalistic, Humanoid, Underground Dwellers??)  Sarah has lost her memories, and her clothes are soaked with blood not her own.  The search party, consisting of three spelunkers, the sheriff, and his deputy Rios, decide to take Sarah to an entrance they've found in an old mine shaft that may lead to the cave where her friends were lost.  They get down there, a cave-in seals the way out behind them, the CHUDs emerge, and chaos ensues.  This is a fast-moving, enjoyable movie up to the very end.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is always a survivor, right?  Not this time!  One character (I won't say who) makes it out, only to be conked in the head and tossed back down the shaft by the old man who led them to the mine entrance.  WHY??? Nothing is explained, and every character is dead, so what is the point of a sequel?? This is an infuriating ending to an otherwise excellent horror sequel.  I wanted to punch the screenwriter when it was over!!! Hatred Hatred Hatred

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »

***SPOILERS****

There is always a survivor, right?

Arguably, there wasn't from the first film, at least not with the original ending.

***END***

Thanks for the review though.  I'll check it out eventually.  I'm actually glad to know how it ends, as that makes it less disappointing.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:27:19 AM »

The first one had a terrific middle two-thirds, the tension was palpable and I loved that whole part.  My problem was that I couldn't understand a damned thing any of the characters said throughout the whole movie, which made the character building stuff at the beginning completely pointless.  I didn't like the ending either.  After finally getting to like at least one of the characters I couldn't understand, she gets killed by her "friend" who was apparently confused or something.  

I dunno, I don't think I'll bother with the second one.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:53:06 AM »

***SPOILERS****

Arguably, there wasn't from the first film, at least not with the original ending.

***END***

Thanks for the review though.  I'll check it out eventually.  I'm actually glad to know how it ends, as that makes it less disappointing.

I was just gonna raise the same point. In the UK version, no-one escaped. I always thought it was entirly new cast in part 2 going to find out what happened to the girls in the first film.

I might give this a go, I really like the tension of the first film. You were already scared for the characters before the monsters turned up.
It's also great to hear a genuine Scottish accent !

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »

***SPOILERS****

***END***

I was just gonna raise the same point. In the UK version, no-one escaped. I always thought it was entirly new cast in part 2 going to find out what happened to the girls in the first film.

I might give this a go, I really like the tension of the first film. You were already scared for the characters before the monsters turned up.
It's also great to hear a genuine Scottish accent !
II always perfered that original ending as well.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:01:53 PM »

We watched it again last night.  Its not as good as the original and the ending sucks big time but its worth watching for sure. There are some pretty big problems with it though..

SPOILERS*****

okay, so the guy has been feeding them, right? what is going to happen when more people come looking for the rescue workers and the two police officers? Its going to be a little difficult to keep it a secret then. Also, isn't the old guy that found Sara the same old guy that is feeding them? Why would he take her to the hospital, why not just knock her out and take her back to the cave?... Those two things bothered me and really, there was no reason to kill the female cop.   Hatred   

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:11:39 AM »

***SPOILERS***

The first one had a terrific middle two-thirds, the tension was palpable and I loved that whole part.  My problem was that I couldn't understand a damned thing any of the characters said throughout the whole movie, which made the character building stuff at the beginning completely pointless.  I didn't like the ending either.  After finally getting to like at least one of the characters I couldn't understand, she gets killed by her "friend" who was apparently confused or something.  

I dunno, I don't think I'll bother with the second one.

I'm surprised you had such trouble understanding them.  I actually found it pretty easy as far as British accents go.  But then, I can't really recall any British films I've had that much difficulty with.  Maybe I'm just good at it.

That aside, she killed her "friend" for two reasons.  One, it's implied her "friend" was having an affair with her husband earlier.  And two, in revenge for her accidentally mortally wounding the one other character (before dying, the wounded woman says how she was injured). 

***END***
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DESCENT PART II - DEEPER AND DARKER (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.