Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:06 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Predators (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Predators (2010)  (Read 5612 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 10, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »

Some dangerous people get abducted by new, deadlier black Predators and dropped on a wilderness planet set aside for hunting.  Will they survive?

Right up until the climax, this movie is pretty good.  Adrian Brody is surprisingly good as a tough guy and de facto leader of the humans.  There aren't any hints that he'll get together with the female lead, an IDF sniper, which was refreshing.  The rest of the humans are good, but I couldn't quite figure out why the character of the death row inmate was even there.  He served no function to the plot that one of the other characters couldn't have.

I've got mixed feelings on the black Predators.  They're passed off as bigger, meaner, and deadlier than the old-school Predators.  They hunt because they are cruel and sadistic, not for sport.  However, they don't seem much bigger than humans and

*spoilers*

they all die like chumps.  One of them apparently couldn't be troubled to scan the human he was fighting for weapons, nor to make any attempt to flee or even toss the human away when he pulled out the grenades.  Another is so wimpy he's defeated by a human wielding a sword!  Holy geez, man, even the loser Predators from the first AVP wouldn't have let that happen.  Then you get to what bugs me about the movie the most.

*more spoilers*

At the end of the first act, the humans manage to find the black Predators' campsite.  The black Predators have an old-school Predator tied up in their camp, apparently to humiliate him.  Of course, you'll be thinking for the rest of the movie that the humans will eventually free OS-Pred and he'll defeat the black Preds.  Nope.  They do cut him down, he gets a big "arming" montage (underscored by heavy metal music no less), then he dies like a chump almost instantly when he tries to fight a black Predator.  Then, the Adrian Brody character kills the black Pred with an axe.  An AXE.  (Okay, okay.  The IDF girl shot him through the chest, too, but still.)

It was an extremely disappointing climax to a pretty good movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
dean

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:14:42 AM »

Aha!  I was about to post a review to this but you beat me to it!

Anyways, I quite enjoyed it.  It had entertaining one liners and was strewn with references to the other movies.  The inmate served a great role as the comedy relief as he had all the really good lines.  His dialogue with Topher Grace about 'raping b$%$es was quite funny.  I don't think I'd enjoy the movie half as much with his character not in it.  I don't know why you found the IDF/Brody relationship a surprise: their dialogue was classic 'love interest' from the start.

Another feature I quite liked was the new Predator's gear: the falcon especially was pretty sweet, and wish it was used more.

**Spoilers**

Whilst I do agree to a degree that they seem to die like chumps, it wasn't all bad.  I like the first two deaths which were quite appropriate, especially with the Yakuza guy, as that was a good reference to the first movie.  I don't mind the last death but yeah, its almost a little silly that he survives a direct hit by five grenades but gets taken down by an axe.  Lawrence Fishburne also dies like a bit of a chump too, and boy has he put on weight!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »

**SPOILER**

I don't know why you found the IDF/Brody relationship a surprise: their dialogue was classic 'love interest' from the start.

His surprise was that they DIDN'T get together.  And they don't.

**END**

I enjoyed this one.  I don't like it as much as the original or Predator 2 (which I quite enjoy, even though many hate it), but it was worth a watch.  It was also nice seeing how old school the action scenes are - much less of the flashy editing, and no shaky cam.  Adrien Brody did a good job in the lead role, and most of the side characters were interesting or at least entertaining.  Some good one liners.  

Biggest complaints: very few surprises, the action scenes are kind of meh.  The third act of the film is a let down - just doesn't have the energy it should, and it kind of falls apart.  The "surprise" toward the end was fairly obvious and not that interesting.  

Still, a 7/10.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »

I liked it .  It was structured pretty much like the first one, they spend about half the movie figuring out what is going on.

Brody did a good job as the lead, but I thought the final battle with Black Predator ended to quick, it lacked the epic quality of the finale of the first movie.

Fox is trying to reboot this franchise, so the ending naturally is left open for a sequel.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »

I liked it for the most part. Adrian Brody was good as the lead, and I liked Alice Braga as Isabelle.  She reminded me of Cote De Pablo's character, Ziva David, from NCIS.

There was plenty of action except for the third act where it got a bit slow and talky.

The new predators were ok, but I still prefer the "look" of the original predator.

I have no doubt a sequel will be in the works.

Hold onto your dreams ....
dean

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:51:46 AM »

**SPOILER**

I don't know why you found the IDF/Brody relationship a surprise: their dialogue was classic 'love interest' from the start.

ENTER SPOILER CITY

I don't know about that: they were pretty cosy during the end of the movie, or was that just a really romantic way to staunch a wound...  Wink

Of course its hard to be too romantic when you're stuck on an alien planet with a crap load of dangerous beasts being dropped overhead.
 Thumbup

END SPOILERTOWN

The one thing I found somewhat annoying was that they used CGI for the faces of the new Predators [or at least they did in a few shots]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Hammock Rider

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:55:48 AM »

I guess my feelings are pretty much along the same lines as the rest of this thread. It was a good, entertaining film and I felt I got my money's worth. Maybe a little more screen time for Danny Trejo would have been nice but that was no big deal.
   I do remember thinking when they were at the Predator camp that it would have been nice to see a Nav'i head amongst the trophies. I'd sell my granny's china if it meant we'd get to see the Predators land on Pandora.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
3mnkids

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:01:49 PM »

After reading the reviews I quess I'll check it out. I wasnt sure that I wanted to see it because I just cant see Adrian Brody as a bad ass.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »

I liked it .  It was structured pretty much like the first one, they spend about half the movie figuring out what is going on.

Brody did a good job as the lead, but I thought the final battle with Black Predator ended to quick, it lacked the epic quality of the finale of the first movie.

Fox is trying to reboot this franchise, so the ending naturally is left open for a sequel.

I do feel it is worth mentioning this isn't EXACTLY a reboot.  It explicitly acknowledges the first film.  But it basically ignores the AVP films and Predator 2.  It's kind of an interesting way of doing it.
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »

After reading the reviews I quess I'll check it out. I wasnt sure that I wanted to see it because I just cant see Adrian Brody as a bad ass.

Brody's definitely not a problem.  None of the other actors are, either.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Predators (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.