Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:15:10 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SHUTTER ISLAND (2010) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SHUTTER ISLAND (2010)  (Read 9171 times)
nilbog
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »

Oh yes, and Luchi - it has Martin Scorsese as director - so it does have a good director.

craptasticmovies.com

"Nilbog! It's Goblin Spelt Backwards!"
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 10:42:44 PM »

Saw it tonight, and I liked it too.  Little confusing at times, but definately kept your interest.  Figured things out pretty early on, but liked the "additional" twist on the ending. 

Hold onto your dreams ....
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 04:28:39 AM »

I can't speak of this movie without dropping a few spoilers, so consider this...

SPOILER SPACE

MORE SPOILER SPACE

I

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »

I watched this one on DVD tonight, and I wound up being very disappointed.  It just moved a little too slow for me.  Some of that may have been due to the fact that I was VERY sleepy and having a hard time focusing, but the movie just kept losing me . . . it might be better on a subsequent viewing.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 12:56:37 PM »

The movie was beautiful, but the twist is officially overused. In fact, I was hoping the twist wouldn't be the one we were all suspecting, so much so that when it came, as expected, I felt insulted.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 01:48:45 AM »

Watched this the other day and was absolutely riveted.  I was pretty sure I knew what was going on but not 100% and had to watch it to the end.
Awesome flick!   Smile   Thumbup

DiCaprio is one of my favorite actors and this was one of his best performances.

4 out of 4 stars.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 07:30:16 AM »

The movie was beautiful, but the twist is officially overused. In fact, I was hoping the twist wouldn't be the one we were all suspecting, so much so that when it came, as expected, I felt insulted.

Thats how I felt.
I really wanted it to be something smarter. Still, it was well directed and had good perfomances.

3.5/5

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Neville

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »

I couldn't overcome that feeling, either. At least Scorsese didn't try to cheat the viewer by presenting the story in a realistic fashion.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »

Thats how I felt.
I really wanted it to be something smarter. Still, it was well directed and had good perfomances.

3.5/5

How many truly new twists are there?  I haven't seen a movie with a twist ending that truly surprised me in years and years.  With every new thriller you watch, you get more and more immune to twist endings. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
3mnkids

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 11:19:30 AM »

SPOILERS**

The "you are the crazy one" was not a surprise at all but I was surprised that he pretended that he was still crazy so they would lobotomize him and he could forget again. Very sad.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Doggett

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »

Thats how I felt.

3.5/5

How many truly new twists are there?  I haven't seen a movie with a twist ending that truly surprised me in years and years.  With every new thriller you watch, you get more and more immune to twist endings. 

It wasn't 'the twist' originality that bothered me.
Its that I knew about it.

The Others is a great example of using a twist we all know but keeping it hidden behind other mysteries. Another Example is Fight Club, we've seen this tale told before, however the story didn't make us realise this until the end.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 06:32:28 PM »

[/quote]

It wasn't 'the twist' originality that bothered me.
Its that I knew about it.

[/quote]

Yeah, that's what's been preventing me from actually watching this.  I've read the book so I know already how it's going to go down (and I get the impression from this board that it's pretty easy to guess anyway).  On the other hand I enjoyed the book a lot and I like the talent involved in this movie so I'm debating whether it's worth my time regardless.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Doggett

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »

Yeah, that's what's been preventing me from actually watching this.  I've read the book so I know already how it's going to go down (and I get the impression from this board that it's pretty easy to guess anyway).  On the other hand I enjoyed the book a lot and I like the talent involved in this movie so I'm debating whether it's worth my time regardless.

You should go see it.
Its a very well made film.

I'm guessing the book has lots of twists and turns so you didn't realise what was going on till the end.
This film, however, I found was kinda obvious. I think it was Leo's performance that gave it away. Its a fun ride, but a long way from being as good as the critics claim.

I wanted to feel the world was falling apart for Leo as the film reached its climax, but I never felt it was all there from the start.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 12:54:53 AM »

So, it may be a minor Scorsese, but still a hell better than "The aviator" or "The departed". If you ask me, Scorsese has never been the same man since "Gangs of New York". I miss that intensity.

I thought "The Departed" was a hell of a film. Scorsese was really at the top of his game with that one.

Same warning: SPOILERS abound. (Well, sort of.)

I read "Shutter Island" on a plane many years ago. Dennis Lehane is one of my favorite writers, for the kind of fiction he writes.

I remember being slightly disappointed with the "twist." Not because it was bad, but the whole book boils down to the twist, rendering the rest superfluous. The movie couldn't avoid the same fate.

I liked it though. Very atmospheric. It was also interesting to see Scorsese, who generally traffics in gritty realism, try his hand at surrealism. So it doesn't completely work. I liked it.

Of course, it's easy to make things seem spooky and portentous when you provide a deep bass boom as a backdrop for every scene.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SHUTTER ISLAND (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.