Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:40:39 AM
713400 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  Reflex Action (2001) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reflex Action (2001)  (Read 5800 times)
Kthulhu
New Visitor

« on: July 04, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »

Hi everybody, I'm going to talk about a movie that you have probably never heard of (at least I will try).
The movie is called Reflex Action. Google it. Do you find anything about a movie in the first page? I don't. Also I have only seen a single video on the net about this masterpiece. Anyway, this movie was shown on TV in one of the sattelite channels of my country. It explained the plot as: "a young man returning from war starts fighting against people who try to buy his family's lands" (something like that). The site flixter (which contains that single video) gives this information:
"Emotionally scarred after a disastrous covert Gulf War mission, Special Forces soldier Quinn Taylor (Michael Baldoz) returns to his home on the Arizona-Mexico border. To his dismay, Taylor discovers that his father plans to sell their land to a drug lord (Richard Lynch). Determined to interrupt the sale, Taylor soon finds himself in a war with a powerful drug cartel, which threatens not only his family but the security of the nation."
Yeah. Let's see this in detail.

The movie begins with Quinn and 3 other Special Forces guys in the middle of some desert. Apparently the single building that's on the desert contains warheads and they have been sent to destroy them. Apparently also that this very important objective is completely left unguarded since we don't see a single living soul around except those four. Anyway, The team is organised as follows: Quinn and his black squadmate go to the tunnel networks under that building (networks that I have no idea about their purpose) with some kinds of skate boards. A member of the team has night-vision goggles and he scouts the desert landscape from afar and the team leader has a magic map which shows an orange dot moving around in an empty black space which only he can interpret. Quinn and his mate go around talking about nonsense and planting C4 charges. Then suddenly the leader starts seeing another orange dot appear and tells them that an enemy soldier is incoming. Either they don't hear him or the Iraqi soldier is a ninja (and he's dressed like one and even if we only see around his eyes it's obvious that he's not an Arab), but he shoots the black operative. Then Quinn comes with his skate-board and shoots him. Then suddenly a tank appears outside. The guy with the goggles loses the tank (the tank hides behind sand dunes and silently moves toward him, how the hell doesn't he hear it is beyond me) and with horror understands that the tank appears behind him. Oh no! It's a blatantly "made in China" plastic toy tank! Our guy is freaked out by the tank and tries to run but the (extremely blurry) toy moves towards the screen and we understand that it crushes him. At the meantime, C4's are about to detonate. The black operative isn't dead yet but he urges Quinn to leave him. Quinn refuses and blabla. Then he accepts. At that moment the tank has crushed the goggled guy and fires a shot to the leader and makes him explode. Quinn skate-boards while the C4 explode behind him and the title REFLEX ACTION comes to the screen with all the explosions. Disastrous covert op indeed.

Cut to somewhere like Mexico border, Quinn walks with his army bag towards some houses. His father and brother are there. They greet him. Then his brother Lee gets angry at him because he left that poor place and went to the Gulf War as a Special Forces soldier which apparently is ten thousand times easier than living in a place like that and working at an (empty) mine. Quinn gets angry at him, everybody is angry and unhappy, there's some subplot involving the servant girl which is unnecessary and only serves a purpose towards the end, things like Quinn and Lee working in the mine happen.
Cut to some kind of slaughterhouse, a guy (drug cartel's second-in command. I think.) shows drug-filled bags in boxes and explains things to the people around him. Then he goes to talk to his boss. Things happen. Then the drug guys find that the drug can be transporte via the Taylor mine. So they go the taylor place and threaten them and all that stuff. The father wants to sell, Quinn doesn't,... Briefly, waht happens is that the drug army attack them, fights ensue (with extremely ridiculous action), the father takes a couple of dynamites and blows himself up inside the mine because... I don't know. They also learn that the girl was helping these drug guys because they have her sister.
The second-in command goes to his boss, tells him that he's very rich and that it's time for him to become the boss. The boss is about to object but he's shot because the second-in-command has bought out the boss's men.

Anyway, the Taylor brothers start training to fight because the new boss tells them that they have four days or so to leave the mines. They train, running a little bit, doing 3-4 push-ups and practicing extremely stupid martial arts moves. The big day arives. The boss deploys his army (guys in black suits using AKs and wearing some kind of rectangular black googles with two small lights at the sides. I have no idea what these are). The brothers take up revolvers and go the mine. Then things happen. Everybody starts shooting at them, nobody runs out of bullets (you can fire 20 shots from a revolver in one single take and that's no problem), they go again in some kind of skate-board things, they run inside the caves while shouting strangely, they defuse a bomb in the last minute only to see that the bomb gets reactivated because it's broken (!!!) and they save the girl's sister. My favorite scene is where Lee and a guy both run out of ammo (after shooting like 100 rounds), the guy starts reloading, lee runs towards him, the guy suddenly has ejected the magazine that he had put and starts reloading again, which allows Lee to jump on him and knock him out. Yeah.
The brothers get both wounded after saving the girl and they think that they're not going to make it. But they do. At the meantime the boss has loaded his truck (and he has only one man with him, since the entire drug army has been killed, which doesn't bother him at all) and is about to go. Quinn picks up a revolver who only has two bullets (Mystery!) and starts chasing the truck. The boss is p**sed, and starts shooting 10000 rounds from his AK. Quinn shoots once at him but fails. Then he starts climbing a water tower but is wounded during the climb. When he reaches the top, the boss is very angry and starts taunting him and does not listen to his man's advice to leave. Quinn gets up, both men take aim simultaneously, but Quinn shoots first, the camera suddenly zooms to the truck's engine and the truck explodes.
They get in the newspapers and stuff, everybody is happy, they talk meaninglessly, and Lee is seen going to the army. The end.

Why did I leave out so much of the middle of the movie? because I don't remember a thing abou that part, because nothing worthwhile happens at these parts. The beginning and the final war are gold.
I say, find this movie if you can (I will try to obtain it somehow), and share it. It deserves to be more popular. It was the most "B" movie ı ever saw on a channel that specializes in
showing b-movies. It was that good.

Since I can't post links, you should write "flixster movie reflex-action-videos" and then click "view larger"
(note how angry he is at the "frustration" scene)
Kthulhu
New Visitor

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:21:44 AM »

Apologies, I think that this post is more appropriate for the "user submitted reviews" section?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  Reflex Action (2001) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.