Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:18 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth  (Read 4022 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: March 02, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »

Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth 
The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth's figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds)... 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 03:11:48 PM »

I head this on the news today.  I don't really believe the whole 2012 thing, but ...? Buggedout

Hold onto your dreams ....
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »

I head this on the news today.  I don't really believe the whole 2012 thing, but ...? Buggedout

Meh.  Numerous things have caused the earth's spin to not be perfect (it's rotation is supposed to be more like a top that is slightly wobbling than a perfect spin)and to change the length of the day.  In theory, just jumping up and down causes a change, it's just so small it is impossible to measure.
nilbog
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure the earthquake that caused the tsunami back in 2004 caused the day to be shorter, and also shifted the earth's axis slightly too.

craptasticmovies.com

"Nilbog! It's Goblin Spelt Backwards!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »

Great, now I have 1.26 less miliseconds to get things done in a day.  Bluesad

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »

Cool! I WANT Armegeddon to happen! Been waiting for it! I think its overdue! I wanna sit on my porch and watch the world as we know it end! Better than any movie!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »

Cool! I WANT Armegeddon to happen! Been waiting for it! I think its overdue! I wanna sit on my porch and watch the world as we know it end! Better than any movie!  Thumbup

OK
Small | Large

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:19:49 AM »

Argh!  This is ridiculous!  Who can I complain to to get that 1.26 milliseconds back?  Can I talk to this planet's manager?
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:01:53 AM »

Now how am I going my 1.21 gigawatts worth of power in a day?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.