Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:35:00 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Lone Republican Senator blocking a million-plus Americans receiving unemployment « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lone Republican Senator blocking a million-plus Americans receiving unemployment  (Read 6578 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: March 02, 2010, 11:15:31 AM »

Lone Republican Senator blocking a million-plus Americans from receiving unemployment benefits 
Sarah Palin stormed the bestseller list last year with "Going Rogue"-a political memoir whose title coyly referenced the former GOP vice presidential nominee's supposed defiance of the consultants running the McCain campaign. But this year we have a new poster boy for the Going Rogue playbook: GOP Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky. For the past week, Bunning has been single-handedly blocking more than a million Americans from receiving unemployment and COBRA health insurance benefits, as of today, when their benefits funded under the 2009 stimulus law run out. The suspension of benefits affects everyone from doctors to government employees.

Since cutting health and unemployment benefits isn't the most popular thing to do in a job-starved recession, the Senate had reached near unanimity on extending these programs. But near-unanimous isn't enough when senators are looking to stretch out the lifespan of benefits about to lapse-they need to reach unanimous consent. And that requirement has delivered a great deal of power into Bunning's hands-- power that has allowed him to block the extension until the Senate find $10.3 billion in spending cuts elsewhere to fund the safety-net spending.

"I believe we should pay for it," Bunning said. "I'm trying to make a point to the people of the United States..." 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1202

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »

Since I'm not very familiar with this whole situation or on the subject, he's either doing something very good or he is a very big fool.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »

$10.3 billion is such a piddling amount for something like this, but this is a rare situation where grandstanding might have an actual effect.  I'd hazard a guess and say he is doing this to impress the Tea Baggers rather than for any legitimate belief in the importance of it, but that's just me being cynical...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:46:02 PM »

he's right.  the democrats had called for pay as you go and that's all he's saying.  he supports the bill he just wants it paid for by cutting someting else. 

there's NOTHING they can get rid of to fund this?  Go Bunning.

more to the point: the guy was a completely SICK pitcher who threw two no hitters, a perfect game, a 9 pitch 3 strikeout inning and is in the hall of fame. 
3mnkids

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »

Bunning is a giant douchebag who is giving the middle finger to people less fortunate than himself. He HATES deficits! yea, when there is a democrat in the white house. He sure didn't mind deficits under Bush.. in fact he voted for many things that increased the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars..

This is obstruction at its finest and he should be ashamed. If he was facing re-election he would not be doing this. He is retiring and instead of going out with dignity he has decided to say eff you! to his constituents.. nice.

Im sure the people who have lost their job and are looking at having no income coming in are just thrilled with him..

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:29:52 PM »

GOP's Bunning relents, OKs action on jobless bill

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_budget_impasse

Thumbup  good, he is still a big POS though.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

I wish this c@cksucker was blue collar and lived in Michigan.  Hatred

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »

Goddam good thing. Broke Michiganders will go Ted Nugent on him.

We dont like being poor.
We aint lazy.
THERES NOTHING HERE.
 Im lucky. I make 11-COUNT EM-11 dollars an hour at a canning factory in Michigan...Southwest Michigan.Been there 23 years. Near Kalamazoo. There are NO jobs. ITS A DEAD STATE. We aint lazy. All the jobs are just leaving. To the south. And Mexico.  Hatred

WERE DYING HERE,PEOPLE!  hot

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »

We dont like being poor.
We aint lazy.
THERES NOTHING HERE.
 Im lucky. I make 11-COUNT EM-11 dollars an hour at a canning factory in Michigan...Southwest Michigan.Been there 23 years. Near Kalamazoo. There are NO jobs. ITS A DEAD STATE. We aint lazy. All the jobs are just leaving. To the south. And Mexico.  Hatred

WERE DYING HERE,PEOPLE!  hot

You're a Michigander, RC?  Never noticed that.  Me too.  Live in St. Louis now though.  And yeah, sad state of affairs in a lot of Michigan.  It seems like what happened in the UP a long ways back (when the mines dried up) is now happening to the lower half.  We should stick together on this crap.   Thumbup
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 02:25:13 AM »

Thumbup  good, he is still a big POS though.

We dont like being poor.
We aint lazy.
THERES NOTHING HERE.
 Im lucky. I make 11-COUNT EM-11 dollars an hour at a canning factory in Michigan...Southwest Michigan.Been there 23 years. Near Kalamazoo. There are NO jobs. ITS A DEAD STATE. We aint lazy. All the jobs are just leaving. To the south. And Mexico.  Hatred

WERE DYING HERE,PEOPLE!  hot

You're a Michigander, RC?  Never noticed that.  Me too.  Live in St. Louis now though.  And yeah, sad state of affairs in a lot of Michigan.  It seems like what happened in the UP a long ways back (when the mines dried up) is now happening to the lower half.  We should stick together on this crap.   Thumbup

Born In NYC-raised in Michigan (since 1970). An evil,mean brew! Im feircly loyal to Michigan! (Not to the goverment-to my fellow Michiganders-if the US dont watch out--the Michigan Militia will clean house!-I was a member once-but quit-too many Nazis. Whatta ya gonna do?  I aint into racism....)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:27:46 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
3mnkids

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »

In case anyone is curious.. 19 senators voted against this bill. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=2&vote=00032 

NAYs ---19
Alexander (R-TN)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Bennett (R-UT)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Coburn (R-OK)
Corker (R-TN)
   Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
   Johanns (R-NE)
McConnell (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Sessions (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)

I dont live in any of the states listed but If I did you can bet I would be firing off a very angry letter to my senator letting him/her know what I think about them.

I find it funny that these republicans are perfectly content to sit back and let bunning take all the heat. He was obstructing the process by not letting it come up for a vote but his fellow republicans are just as nasty as he is. maybe worse.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »

I totally disgree.  These aren't jobs.  if the government is paying for them the yare being paid for either by taxing other citizens or borrowing them.

more to the point, they can make all the jobs they want, just pay for them by taking the funds from somewhere else in the budget!!  the same way everyone does in their lives and how budgets have been run since the dawn of time.  you can't just add on and add on.

JIm bunning is only 1 of the hundreds of millionaire crooks making 6 figures salaries by taking 33% of YOUR paycheck to do all sorts of stuff that have nothing to do with anything!

scapegoat him all you want.  He was right to do what he did.  PAY AS YOU GO
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »

RC - Come on down to Texas.  Still a few jobs here, and the only thing I've had to shovel all winter is goat poop.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:03 AM »

I totally disgree.  These aren't jobs.  if the government is paying for them the yare being paid for either by taxing other citizens or borrowing them.

more to the point, they can make all the jobs they want, just pay for them by taking the funds from somewhere else in the budget!!  the same way everyone does in their lives and how budgets have been run since the dawn of time.  you can't just add on and add on.

JIm bunning is only 1 of the hundreds of millionaire crooks making 6 figures salaries by taking 33% of YOUR paycheck to do all sorts of stuff that have nothing to do with anything!

scapegoat him all you want.  He was right to do what he did.  PAY AS YOU GO

These same scumbags also have stock in corprations that pull up and haul tail to Mexico or India-leaving hundreds of people without jobs.  Unemployment is given to people who WORK....a bum on the street dont qualify. Hardworking taxpayers who lose their jobs because these scumbags leave to hire cheap labor overseas. I'm lucky-I still have a job. The biggest factory in town-Welchs-where much of my family have worked for over 50 years-is closing shop-no one seems to know why exactly.
The last person to leave Michigan-turn off the lights.  Hatred

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 12:31:11 PM »

It is a waste to have all these people not working, I just don't think we should give them jobs while ALSO having a 4 trillion dollar budget and that's what Bunning was saying.  lets pay them by firing beaurocrats instead of borrowing the money or watering down the dollar by printing more greenbacks

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Lone Republican Senator blocking a million-plus Americans receiving unemployment « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.