Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:40:50 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THE DARK (1976) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THE DARK (1976)  (Read 1875 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 30, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »

This has been on my "Paul Naschy movies I still need to see" list for awhile.  I finally watched it Friday night and was disappointed.

The story involves a group of men paying to play sex-fantasy games with women at an elaborate villa.  While they are all in the basement, a nuclear war breaks out.  The men and women in the villa are unharmed.  However, the survivors in a nearby town are all blinded by the flash of the explosion.

The villa folks decide to go into the town to gather canned food and then hunker down in the villa before the radiation reaches them.  They end up killing one of the blind people, causing the other blind people from the town to seek revenge.

* WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD *

Somehow, the people who can see have a heck of a time avoiding the blind townfolk.  In one scene, the group from the villa attempts to escape across a vast, open field, but the slow-moving blind people (who are aimlessly swinging canes and sticks) manage to capture and kill most of them!

During the ludicrous end sequence, the only two villa survivors are picked up by government guys wearing radiation suits.  They bring the survivors onto a bus with a bunch of other people and tell them they will be taken to a decontamination site.  Instead, the government guys release poisonous gas through the air vents in the bus and all the poor citizens die!  Then they dump the bodies in a big pit with a bunch of other corpses and cover the hole with dirt!  The end!

Note:  You can watch the final 10 minutes of this movie on YouTube (if you must).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »

I mostly watch those Naschy movies for the atmosphere, but yeah, this one sounds like something to miss lol.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

I mostly watch those Naschy movies for the atmosphere, but yeah, this one sounds like something to miss lol.

Naschy isn't even the star of this movie.  He's one of the stars.  But he isn't "the" star.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Skull
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »

This is one of those Paul Naschy movies on my hit list for years... The review does make lots of sense since the story is made before the Mad Max hype, even before Damnation Alley (1977)...

The blind plot seem to tell me this story is inspired by The Day of the Triffids (1962) [sort of] and your review seem to verify my thoughts...

Last 10 mins on youtube...
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »

Also, notice how they Anglicized the names in the movie poster I attached to my original comments.  For example, "MARIA PERSHING" is really "MARIA PERSCHY" and I believe "PAUL MACKEY" is supposed to be "PAUL NASCHY."  Interesting that they would Anglicize his already Anglicized name.  So, they went from "JACINTO MOLINA" to "PAUL NASCHY" to "PAUL MACKEY".  Talk about a triple-whammy of confusion!

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:58:27 PM »

I love reading film reviews that are like "I've been wanting to see this for 30 years. I finally did and was disapointed."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »

I love reading film reviews that are like "I've been wanting to see this for 30 years. I finally did and was disapointed."

That's what many of mine say . . .

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THE DARK (1976) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.