Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:56:34 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior  (Read 9123 times)
kearneyloc
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »

I don't feel it's fair to compare Mad Max to Road Warrior based on the fact that the original was indie low-budget at it's best. They had to rely more on character development than action.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

I don't feel it's fair to compare Mad Max to Road Warrior based on the fact that the original was indie low-budget at it's best. They had to rely more on character development than action.

That's pretty much exactly it. They can't be appreciated from the same standards. Mad Max is a straight up low-budget b-movie, by both American and Australian standards. TRW, on the other hand, is a higher budget, more action-oriented film, and one that was probably not considered a b-movie at all in Australia, but kind of falls into the b category here because it's a foreign film, marketed a little less than an American a-film, and it's a bit off-beat to American eyes because of the Aussie elements, so, in other words a b-movie for American audiences and an a-movie down under.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

The road warrior is one of the very few sequels that I like better than the original. Dont get me wrong, Mad Max rocks, but the road warrior is better.

Well, here is someone else who likes "The Road Warrior" or "Mad Max 2" better than "Mad Max," and when the question comes up, as to whether there has ever been a sequel better than the original, I always point to "The Road Warrior."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »

I disagree, but in an unusual way.  I think it's fair to compare low-budget indies with lots of character development to big-budget action movies.  In fact, I almost always think the former make better movies, because I care more about stories than stunts.  TRW is a rare case where I prefer the action version.  But it's a close call because I do like them both.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »

I kinda agree, but then again, Mad Max 1 isn't post-apocalyptic like Mad Max 2

yeah no.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 01:33:33 PM »

MAD MAX is great but it's quite a bit different than ROAD WARRIOR.  It's much darker and more downbeat, with more character development and less action.  Both are great films, just don't go into MAD MAX expecting to see more of the same.  
And there's a cruelty to MAD MAX that is not apparent in ROAD WARRIOR.  As several have stated, I think ROAD WARRIOR is superior, too, but MAD MAX is essential.  

Huh?  Of course it is. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:37:32 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »

MAD MAX is great but it's quite a bit different than ROAD WARRIOR.  It's much darker and more downbeat, with more character development and less action.  Both are great films, just don't go into MAD MAX expecting to see more of the same.  
And there's a cruelty to MAD MAX that is not apparent in ROAD WARRIOR.  As several have stated, I think ROAD WARRIOR is superior, too, but MAD MAX is essential.  

Huh?  Of course it is. 

Interesting point. I think I get what you're saying. I think the cruelty comes from the fact that there is still a semblance of law and order in Mad Max this breaking down, whereas in Road Warrior it is less cruelty than the outright feral savagry that comes from a world of chaos and lawlessness.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »

Interesting point. I think I get what you're saying. I think the cruelty comes from the fact that there is still a semblance of law and order in Mad Max this breaking down, whereas in Road Warrior it is less cruelty than the outright feral savagry that comes from a world of chaos and lawlessness.
With regards to cruelty, I am referring to one specific incident, though there is more than one, that is particularly heartless - and having seen the film (avoid spoilers) I think you can guess to which I am referring. 

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »

With regards to cruelty, I am referring to one specific incident, though there is more than one, that is particularly heartless - and having seen the film (avoid spoilers) I think you can guess to which I am referring. 

Yes, I do. You know, I just looked the film up and The Road Warrior has the unique distinction of having a 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That is quite an achievement to say the least.

metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

I Liked The First One , I Liked This One , Now I Just Have To See The Third One
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »

honestly, it is not worth it because it is hard to understand the whole concept of the movie. then again, i liked the other two MUCH better than the third one.

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 10:55:24 AM »

honestly, it is not worth it because it is hard to understand the whole concept of the movie. then again, i liked the other two MUCH better than the third one.

Not nearly as good as the first two, but still worth seeing for the battle in Thunderdome alone. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »

Overall I think Thunderdome is just a cheesy watered-down sequel that lacks the tension and darkness that made the first two work.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »

The first two are... eh, cheezee, a mouthful of cheese, but the 3rd one has real production values.  The storyline is drained of its outsider edge, and yes, not as good (ROAD WARRIOR is the best of the three).   Ash, be sure to tell us what you think of MAD MAX

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.