Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:03:46 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anyone study Jiu-Jitsu? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone study Jiu-Jitsu?  (Read 2340 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 11, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »

I've taken martial arts lessons from time to time in the past . . . a small amount of Tae Kwon Do (not a big fan of that style), about a year's worth of American Kenpo (which I really enjoyed . . . hail Ed Parker and Jeff Speakman!  My old instructor is now the president of American Kenpo International and I just found out he has a school not far from my house, so I might check it out soon). 

Small | Large

Plus when I was in the Army Reserve (way back in the day) one of the guys had a black belt in Judo and we'd get some training from him occasionally.

But I've recently become interested in Jiu-Jitsu, which is quite different from all of the above.  From what I have learned, it appears to rely on taking your opponent down to the ground and then using leverage and a variety of holds and joint locks to immobilize him.

Just wondering if any of you have studied Jiu-Jitsu and, if so, did you enjoy it (and why?)

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »

Believe it or not, I studied Jiu-jitsu and Kenpo at the same school. The owner felt they were complimentary, although the popularity of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu might have had something to do with it too. I have to agree though, they are both good stuff.

I liked Jiu-jitsu because it does give you more options if you are in a fight, what with it's stressing grappling and throws and most especially locks and holds. Throws can be hard to pull off unless you're very good, but a wrist or armlock are not too hard to employ with a little practice.

The competitive aspect is fun too. I felt it was a little more strategy oriented than the striking arts. The physical challenge can be just as great as in Kenpo.

Another good reason to study it is that it's easier on your body in some ways. Taking shots to the body and limbs can really wear you down, especially as you get older. There is not nearly as much of that in Jiu-jitsu. That's not to say Jiu-jitsu isn't tough, getting thrown on your butt a dozen times or more in one session is not pleasant, but I find it doesn't grind you down, at least now that I'm over 40.  Also, in a fight, you can hurt yourself by missing a punch or kick ansd hitting a wall or something, or you can split your knuckles on someone's hard head.

I'd say go for it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »

Never have done Jiu-Jitsu, but I have studied Uechi Ryu karate off and on for many, many years, and achieved a black belt (third degree).  Any martial art, consistently practiced and properly taught, is good for body, mind, and soull.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »

I studied origami ~ so I can fold opponent like piece of paper.  Buggedout Wink

Seriously, I've always been interested in the martial arts ~ watching Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee movies as well as the South African film Kill and Kill Again started my interest in martial arts ~ but I think at age 42 I'm a little old to start.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »

I studied origami ~ so I can fold opponent like piece of paper.  Buggedout Wink

Seriously, I've always been interested in the martial arts ~ watching Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee movies as well as the South African film Kill and Kill Again started my interest in martial arts ~ but I think at age 42 I'm a little old to start.  Bluesad

Never too old.  I'm almost 46.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »

My brother teaches it.  It's interesting, and it's better IMO than Karate (which I studied for a few years) and Tae Kwon Do.  Maybe someday, if the interest in martial arts returns, I'll give it a whirl.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »

During college, I studied Taekwondo.  Only got up to my yellow belt.  After school, I got a job that had me working odd hours, so I couldn't contuie in it.  After a few years, I had normal 9-5 hours. When that happened I took up fencing.  I'd like to try to get back into TKD, just so I could finish what I started.  I want to be ready for when the ninjas come for me.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »

I study Goju-Ryu Karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at the same school.

Both are enjoyable. Jiu Jitsu is more sport than self defence, usually practiced less intensely than Karate.

Karate I find is more useful in the real world, Jiu Jitsu is fun sport to practice.

-Jimmybob

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anyone study Jiu-Jitsu? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.