Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:26:14 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The 50 Most Racist Movies Ever?! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The 50 Most Racist Movies Ever?!  (Read 10599 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »

I dare ask who the racist one is: The people who made those movies, or the one seeing hidden racist messages and agendas?  Pretty weak list.  I would never have thought to look at Gremlins as an allegory for black children.  Never in a million years.  That takes a special kind of person who doesn't realize how either insecure or racist they actually are.   Lookingup
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »

I dare ask who the racist one is: The people who made those movies, or the one seeing hidden racist messages and agendas?  Pretty weak list.  I would never have thought to look at Gremlins as an allegory for black children.  Never in a million years.  That takes a special kind of person who doesn't realize how either insecure or racist they actually are.   Lookingup

Totally agreed. I've seen that film several times since seeing it in the theatre (yes, I'm old). I never EVER took that from the film. You really have to read that in.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
3mnkids

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »

Absolutely. The person(s) behind the list are the ones with the racial issues, they're projecting.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:46 PM »

I looked at the list and all I have to say is what?????   Question

I will admit that some of the movies are a little on the bad side and touch on subject that are Taboo.  But really, should we waste time and make a movie list on what is more racist than the next?  We should take the time and energy that was spent on the list and focus on the positive in life.

I now remember why I do not look at lists like this.  It is just someone complaining about life and looking for some recognition of his or her's meger talent.

My two cents.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »

Its not "The 50 Most Racist Movies Ever," its the "50 movies you didnt know were racist," which is why stuff like Birth of a Nation was not mentioned. That said, the person who wrote it is going out of their way to look for stuff to criticize, and many of the assumptions they come to are rooted in their own racial issues.

Thanks for pointing that out (it's there in the fine print), but they did prominently title the list "The 50 Most Racist Movies Ever," not "50 movies you didn't know were racist."  So, they're being deliberately misleading as well as silly.  Looks to me like they're just attempting to manufacture controversy to gain attention.  We're giving the creators of this list too much credit by even discussing it.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Paquita

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »

Its not "The 50 Most Racist Movies Ever," its the "50 movies you didnt know were racist," which is why stuff like Birth of a Nation was not mentioned. That said, the person who wrote it is going out of their way to look for stuff to criticize, and many of the assumptions they come to are rooted in their own racial issues.

Thanks for pointing that out (it's there in the fine print), but they did prominently title the list "The 50 Most Racist Movies Ever," not "50 movies you didn't know were racist."  So, they're being deliberately misleading as well as silly.  Looks to me like they're just attempting to manufacture controversy to gain attention.  We're giving the creators of this list too much credit by even discussing it.   

Is it really racist if you don't know it's racist?  I'm so confused. 
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 09:34:13 PM »

This silly list reminded me of this rant.  The only good part of Chasing Amy I find....

NSFW
Small | Large

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:37:18 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 03:43:53 AM »

Anyone else get the sense the writer felt more racist himself than anything else?

I had to lol at the inclusion of Dragon Ball Evolution for "hurr durr white people playin azns", Goku was an alien in the manga, and Dragon Ball never really took place on the same earth we know.  Lookingup
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »

Breakfast At Tiffany's? Planet Of The Apes? Passion of The Christ?Gremlins?

All I have to say is what the hell?  Question Buggedout

Where are the racial orientated films in which each group calls each other by derogatory terms? None here as far as I can see. This writer is reading too much into too little.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »

I've seen 30% of the films listed. Does that make me a racist?

I actually liked 85.8% of those that I've seen. Does that make me a racist?

No, but from the general to the more specific.

Using their criteria for what makes a film racist, you can brand almost every film that contains a racial minority as being racist.

And now on to the more specifics. (And that is not to say that any of these films are racist.)

"Jungle to Jungle, which is included, was the American remake of the French film "Little Indian, Big City," which is not included.

The Bond film "You Only Live Twice" is included, but not the Bond films "Dr. No" and "Live and Let Die."

"Song of the South" is included, but nothing in that film makes me cringe as much as the musical number "What Makes the Red Man Red?" in "Peter Pan," which is not included.

Those people who compiled their list, obviously don't know their films.

Thus,  somewhere out there, there may be a list of the most racist films made in Hollywood, but this is not it.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »

PLANET OF THE APES? PLANET OF THE APES??????One of the best sci fi movies ever!!!!!
Of course the gorillas were mean-THEY'RE GORILLAS! The history of horror films are loaded with gorillas! Big scary,hairy,ugly! Big teeth! KONGA! KILL KONGA! KILL!
Well, the compiler of this list apparently recognized a "class" structure in the APES world, which I'm sure the writers of the screenplay fully intended to be there.  And the film is without doubt a hard look at racism in any form, simply turning the tables not black on white, but rather more provocatively human on animal.  And though there is a hierarchy in the APES world, on the human Space mission from 20th century Earth, a black man is one of three crew members... it's worth noting it's a film made in 1967 at a time when racial issues had a long way to go, were being very publicly exposed, and had only seriously been addressed in cinema for the previous 20 Post-War years, sparsely at first but gaining momentum into the 1960s.  I think this writer just didn't think hard enough about it and hasn't seen enough film. 

Did they have any movies on the list featuring Fu Manchu, Charlie Chan, Mr. Wong and Mr. Moto?  - Asian characters who often tend to get played by European or Hawaiin actors. Not that I personally think of any of those (except maybe sometimes Fu Manchu) as particularly racist though since the quasi Asian lead is nearly always the wise hero.
Not sure, but movies tended to be newer (as in say the last 30 years, but hardly entirely)... their #1 Racist movie is BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S with that horrible performance by MICKEY ROONEY, one of Hollywood's last greatly apparent lapses in judgment, but is racist in no revelatory way.  Certainly, what were they thinking in 1961?  However, who didn't always see how silly that performance was included in that film?  My attitude at this late date is it's reaching if that small part is the worst they can come up with.  How about IMITATION OF LIFE (1959)?   Other films were mentioned, but this lame list speaks for itself. 

Right you are. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The 50 Most Racist Movies Ever?! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.