Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:10:02 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (1976) - Required viewing « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (1976) - Required viewing  (Read 7168 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 23, 2010, 08:03:28 PM »

This is one of the best surprises I've had in my recent DVD purchases.

WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? is the uncut version of ISLAND OF THE DAMNED.  It's sort of a cross between VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED and THE DEVIL TIMES FIVE (which I didn't think lived up to its hype).

The story involves a husband and wife who go to a small island off the coast of Spain for a vacation.  They discover that a group of children have killed the adults without any remorse.

This is an unflinching and sometimes disturbing movie (it starts with actual footage of war atrocities during the opening credits).  Your homework assignment is to find a copy and watch it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »

It has been added to my Netflix queue.

It will probably be a long time before I get to it though.

It looks very good.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »

On another note, don't read the wikipedia entry on it.  All these people who decide the "Plot" section of an entry on a movie should detail ALL the movies events scene by scene need to be beaten.   Hatred

Sounds pretty interesting though.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »

It's a terrific film.  I read about it on various horror websites and had to go out of my way to rent it (it was in the section "Killer Kids"  TeddyR), but boy was it worth it.  Kinda takes a little while to get started, and there's really no explanation for the kids' behavior.  But it's very engrossing and you really feel for the main characters.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »

WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? is the uncut version of ISLAND OF THE DAMNED.  It's sort of a cross between VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED and THE DEVIL TIMES FIVE (which I didn't think lived up to its hype).

The story involves a husband and wife who go to a small island off the coast of Spain for a vacation.  They discover that a group of children have killed the adults without any remorse.

This is an unflinching and sometimes disturbing movie (it starts with actual footage of war atrocities during the opening credits).  Your homework assignment is to find a copy and watch it.

That's it? I don't have to write a 1,400-word essay? I wish I had your for a teacher. My Master's degree instructors are a bit more demanding.  Smile

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »

I added it to my Amazon wishlist.  Do I get partial credit for the assignment?   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »

I've read about this in mags and books...but haven't seen it! My neighbor Lori has Netflix-I asked her to rent me a double feature of DERANGED/MOTEL HELL and others-I must be nice to her!  TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pilgermann

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »

I added it to my Amazon wishlist.

Ditto.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »

I added it to my Amazon wishlist.  Do I get partial credit for the assignment?   Smile

We will give you an "incomplete" until you watch it.   TeddyR

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »

We Spanirds are very proud oif this film. It is one of those rare good films that seem to come out from thin air. Regretably, its director, Uruguaian (!) Narciso Ibáñez Serrador didn't follow this path and instead became the creator of several popular TV quiz shows in Spain, an occupation that kept him busy for the next decades.

Before, he had helmed another horror film, "La residencia", and created the TV horror anthology "Historias para no dormir" ("Stories that will keep you awake"), a sort of Spanish answer to "The twilight zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock presents". His last work as a director is precisely a chapter of an aborted reboot of these series called "La culpa", just a few years ago.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Skull
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »

Actually the movie is a remake of The Birds (1963)... There are several scenes in the movie that parallels the 1963 film and its more effective here because the children seemed souless.

Great horror story and worth owning :)
Skull
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »

We Spanirds are very proud oif this film. It is one of those rare good films that seem to come out from thin air. Regretably, its director, Uruguaian (!) Narciso Ibáñez Serrador didn't follow this path and instead became the creator of several popular TV quiz shows in Spain, an occupation that kept him busy for the next decades.

Before, he had helmed another horror film, "La residencia", and created the TV horror anthology "Historias para no dormir" ("Stories that will keep you awake"), a sort of Spanish answer to "The twilight zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock presents". His last work as a director is precisely a chapter of an aborted reboot of these series called "La culpa", just a few years ago.

I think the movie never got reception it deserved since the movie was known as ISLAND OF THE DAMNED and people (mostly American's) took it as a Village of the Damned rip-off...
The Burgomaster

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »

I think the movie never got reception it deserved since the movie was known as ISLAND OF THE DAMNED and people (mostly American's) took it as a Village of the Damned rip-off...

During the 1970s, quite a few good European movies were released in the U.S. in edited versions with alternate titles.  Unfortunately, the U.S. distributors often ignored the fact that these movies were good and advertised them like they were low-budget, trashy horror films.  Another one I can think of is THE NIGHT VISITOR, which is a very good movie starring Max von Sydow.

Skull
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »

During the 1970s, quite a few good European movies were released in the U.S. in edited versions with alternate titles.  Unfortunately, the U.S. distributors often ignored the fact that these movies were good and advertised them like they were low-budget, trashy horror films.  Another one I can think of is THE NIGHT VISITOR, which is a very good movie starring Max von Sydow.

Thanks for the Internet or I would never knew about such movies as WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? I think I'd bought WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? almost 3 years ago.
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »

Spain seems to have a good history of horror films.  Actually, a pretty darn good film industry (I've enjoyed just about every Spanish film that makes it stateside, anyway), just with a low output per year.  It's pretty interesting, actually - I think Spain is my favorite of the modern European cinemas, thinking about it. 

Neville, can you suggest any other Spanish horror films from the 1970s or early 1980s?  That seems like the best era for "serious" horror pretty much everywhere - and just about the only other Spanish horror films from the era I'm aware of are Naschy's films, which don't quite make it into the "serious" category.  :)
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (1976) - Required viewing « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.