Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:35:56 PM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Mystery Science Theater 3000 Box Sets « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mystery Science Theater 3000 Box Sets  (Read 3549 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »

Well, it's official.  Volume sets 7,8, and possibly 4 are out of print.  Luckily I bought 8 before hand, but that's it.  I'm looking at this with sadness and then I thought of something, what do you think are the chances of Shout Factory rereleasing the old box sets from Rhino now that they are going of print?  I think it would be a good and smart move by them to do so, especially with doing a new verison of Vol. 9 that is extremely rare.

So, do you think they should rerelease the sets now that they are going out of print and what are chances of them actually doing that?  I would pay good money for a brand new verison of Vol. 9.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:58:44 PM »

Some might not be able to be re-releashed due t them losing rights to air the movies.  I bought the one with Godzilla vs Megalodon, almost the first day it was out.  I knew Toho would never let it be out long.  and sure enough, only a few weeks after it was releashed, the set had to be pulled and rereleased with a different movie.

So that's my advice for anyone buying MST3K releashes.  Get them as soon as you can, because they might not last. 

I own all the sets so far, so I wouldn't buy them again.  You can also watch some of the movies on youtube, which some have called an updated versiion of circulating the tapes.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »

Some might not be able to be re-releashed due t them losing rights to air the movies.  I bought the one with Godzilla vs Megalodon, almost the first day it was out.  I knew Toho would never let it be out long.  and sure enough, only a few weeks after it was releashed, the set had to be pulled and rereleased with a different movie.

So that's my advice for anyone buying MST3K releashes.  Get them as soon as you can, because they might not last. 

I own all the sets so far, so I wouldn't buy them again.  You can also watch some of the movies on youtube, which some have called an updated versiion of circulating the tapes.

You got the one with Godzilla vs. Megalodon?!  Lucky!  I got the one with The Giant Gila Monster.  I know I can still catch the episodes on YouTube, but I would like to own a hard copy and stuff.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:47:53 PM »

I'm overdue for another collection volume.  I have the one with Pod People and the one with Skydivers on it.  And on single discs I have Mitchell and Manos.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »

I had Volume 7, but lost it in a move and it went out of print before I could replace it.  I never got Vol. 9 before it went out of print and got Vol 10.2 rather than Vol. 10.

To answer your question, InfoGeek: the shout factory representative has said they have no plans currently to release any of the old Rhino titles.  (Search for "shout factory mst3k forums" on Google and you may be able to find the post on that subject).  I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they might start re-releasing some of them when they run out of new titles, though. 

I admire your foresight in snagging Vol. 10 on the first day, WingedSerpent. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:53:26 PM »

I find buying the sets frustrating, and actually don't have any as they're so darn expensive.  I know WHY they're expensive, and I don't blame them, but they're just too much for me considering how rarely I watch MST3K eps I've already seen.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd be much more inclined to buy whole season sets.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »

let's see, my parents has all VHS and DVDs!

yeah no.
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 05:19:53 AM »

I still think that Shout Factory could (and should) be putting 2 episodes on each disc instead of one. I believe that they are using single layer discs. Just make it a dual layer disc and pack 2 episodes on there. Also, as far as them re-releasing Rhino discs, I wouldn`t mind that as Rhino`s quality control department was asleep at the wheel. I recall especially the horrible quality on The Dead Talk Back disc.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:21:54 PM »

I don't see what the advantage would be of putting two episodes on one disc, but I wish they would do what the early Rhinos did---put the uncut, unMST3KD version of the film on the flip-side. 

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »

I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd be much more inclined to buy whole season sets.

I agree.  I'd buy every season if they were available.  But I haven't bought any of the sets they released son far.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »

I agree.  I'd buy every season if they were available.  But I haven't bought any of the sets they released son far.

Can't happen.  They have to individually negotiate acquire rights for every movie broadcast during each season.  There's at least a couple shows in each season where there's some holdout who won't license rights.  Sometimes it's because the owner hates the idea of the show, sometimes they have their own DVD release or want too much money for a license, sometimes it's impossible to track down the copyright holder anymore.  Tojo in particular won't approve any Gamera or Godzilla releases; current management seems to believe it damages their brand.     

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Mystery Science Theater 3000 Box Sets « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.