Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:28:40 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Saddest Moments in Disney Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Saddest Moments in Disney Movies  (Read 10424 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: March 24, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »

So I was watching Nostalgia Critic's video of Top 11 Saddest Moments and it got me thinking about number one.  1 was every single Disney movie ever made and I tend to agree.  Disney is kid friendly, but damn do they like depressing and reducing you to tears in a lot of their movies.  So, let's fess up right now, what are the saddest moments in a Disney movie that made you cry or tore your heart in half.

I would have to say the death of Simba's dad in The Lion King and the opening for The Fox and the Hound, where I think Todd's mom is killed.  It's been a while, but I know there is one very sad scene in there that makes me unable to ever watch it again.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Raffine

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »

Small | Large

"Mother..?"

BAMBI

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »

Bambi's mom is always going to be the big one. Now, are we talking about just animated films here? Because if it's all Disney films across the board, I think you're going to be hard-pressed to beat the ending of Old Yeller.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »

Bambi's mom is always going to be the big one. Now, are we talking about just animated films here? Because if it's all Disney films across the board, I think you're going to be hard-pressed to beat the ending of Old Yeller.

It's for all Disney films, so yes, Old Yeller is in.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Paquita

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »

Just looking at this topic makes me want to cry  Bluesad.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »

Just goes to show you, Disney has had a stake in manipulating the viewers emotions from a very early stage.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »

The whole 'childrens lit' genre has undergone a huge change in the last 70 years or so.  Look at what passed for 'great' children's literature when the Disney operation was in its early years:

(Warning: spoilers!)

The Yearling (Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings; 1938. Won the Pulitzer for books 1939. Film 1946. TV movie 1994.) - the pet deer dies.
The Red Pony (John Steinbeck; 1937. Films in 1949 and 1973) - the pony dies.
Old Yeller   (Fred Gipson; 1956. Film 1957) - the kid has to shoot the dog
and yes, Bambi (Felix Salten; 1926. Film 1942).

Those are just the works I am most familiar with, but it strikes me that a good portion of the 'classics' for kids included the harsher life lessons.  Death was a fact of life.  Harder times perhaps?  It remains that the contrast between good times and bad makes for good stories and a formula that makes movies work.  It's no wonder that Disney has continued to visit it.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:50:30 AM »

The whole 'childrens lit' genre has undergone a huge change in the last 70 years or so.  Look at what passed for 'great' children's literature when the Disney operation was in its early years:

(Warning: spoilers!)

The Yearling (Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings; 1938. Won the Pulitzer for books 1939. Film 1946. TV movie 1994.) - the pet deer dies.
The Red Pony (John Steinbeck; 1937. Films in 1949 and 1973) - the pony dies.
Old Yeller   (Fred Gipson; 1956. Film 1957) - the kid has to shoot the dog
and yes, Bambi (Felix Salten; 1926. Film 1942).

Those are just the works I am most familiar with, but it strikes me that a good portion of the 'classics' for kids included the harsher life lessons.  Death was a fact of life.  Harder times perhaps?  It remains that the contrast between good times and bad makes for good stories and a formula that makes movies work.  It's no wonder that Disney has continued to visit it.

Excellent point. Just looking at your examples, the majority of them came from stories written before WWII. Tougher times indeed.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »

I found Jessie's musical interlude in Toy Story 2 horribly tear jerking. She relives the old days when she was played with frequently by her owner.  However her owner grows up and she spends a long time under the bed collecting dust.  Finally one day she is picked up again by her owner and she is happy...however, her owner leaves her on the side of the road at a donation bin.  I'm sorry, but this scene rips out my heart and stomps on it every time I watch it. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
feiyen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »

"UP" You go thruw the life of a happy couple and then you lose one ::teary:: actually I though the whole movie was a bit sad even the kid who's father isn't around much.

This is a bit off topic but some of the deaths of the villains aren't exactly pleasant either they seem to die in a gruesome manner One that came to mine was Tarzan I mean he got hung! worst you see it in the shadow background.

Me and my partners comics
http://www.eyeshock.com
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Saddest Moments in Disney Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.