Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:22 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What I've Been Up To... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What I've Been Up To...  (Read 1773 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: March 25, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »

Hey everyone,

As some of you have probably noticed, I haven't been on here much lately.
I'm still busy with college and should graduate with a degree sometime later this year. (finally!)

In the meantime, I've become completely and hopelessly absorbed into the world of Airsoft.
So much so that I created Eastern Iowa Airsoft
EIA is an organization of enthusiasts dedicated to the advancement of Airsoft as an extreme sport in Iowa.  It's based in eastern Iowa but we welcome members from anywhere in the state.
It's coming along nicely and members are just starting to trickle in, but it's getting there slowly but surely.
One thing I worry about is if there is enough demand for Airsoft in Iowa.  I think there is.  It's becoming quite huge!
MAG (Midwest Airsoft Guerrillas) hosted an event in Illinois a few weeks ago and over 600 people showed up!  That was just here in the Midwest, so I know there is demand.

I hosted the Pre-Valentine's Day Massacre in the snow and cold on Feb. 13th and a bunch of people showed up to play.  That was the sixth event I hosted at the Central City Airsoft field and it went off without a hitch.
Now that spring is here and summer's on the way, the official Airsoft season is really starting to pick up.
There are events being hosted all across the Midwest and I will most definitely be getting in on that action.

Group photo from the Pre-Valentine's Day Massacre

I've already got my seventh event lined up for next month.  I'm hosting Ash's Birthday Bash on April 17th and 18th.  It will be a two day event with overnight camping, a cookout, and a bonfire.  Games will resume Sunday morning.  I'm hosting it because the last several years, I didn't do much of anything on my birthday.  That's gonna change this year!   Wink  (I turn 36 on the 19th)

I also have events lined up for the entire summer.  Each event has a central theme to it and we get anywhere from 25-50+ players for each one.  I advertise and market the heck out of them at least a month in advance to make sure attendence is good.  I've never been let down yet.

My main goal is to provide a safe and fun environment for everyone.  I've got strict rules in place for safety.  The last thing I want is for someone to get hurt.  It's not likely, but it could happen.

I've also looked into getting insurance for the events I host.  For a premium of $750, the insurance company will cover up to 10 events per year and offer liability coverage of up to $1 million per person.
That's actually a pretty good deal.  Most insurance companies want well over $1000 for a premium.
The great thing about this company is that they will let me make payments...up to 10 seperate payments if I want. (though there's a surcharge on each payment if I do it that way)

Ultimately, I'd love to make a living from hosting Airsoft events and possibly selling guns and gear, but we'll just have to wait and see if the demand goes up.

I created the Eastern Iowa Airsoft website a while back.
Check it out:
http://eiairsoft.webs.com/

As more people join, I'll probably pay for a premium membership which will give me more storage, bandwidth, and will also drop the "webs" from the site address.
Please let me know what you think of the site. 

Check out my Airsoft videos on my Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ashthecat3?feature=mhw4

So if any of you were wondering where I've been or what happened to me, now you know!
I lurk here almost every day, but don't post much at all.  I'll try to come by and post more often.   Smile
By the way, what's up with all the Fame or Shame threads?  How do you play it?  I looked at the posts and it didn't make sense to me.

Until next time...
Ash 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:45:33 PM by Ash » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »

Glad you are doing something fun!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »

Thanks Indy.  It is fun!   Smile  Thumbup

At the Pre-Valentine's Day Massacre this guy used electrical tape to tape a camera to his gun.
He took the footage home and made this video of it on his computer.
I think it turned out pretty darned good!  It is definitely NOT what I was expecting but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless.  It's like the AK is a predator and is on the prowl for prey.
(I'm the guy wearing the orange vest)

Small | Large

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:43:35 AM by Ash » Logged
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »

Good to see you, Buddy.   Glad you are enjoying life.  Do continue to send updates when you can.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »

Glad to hear things are going well for you and that you have something you're passionate about!

Also glad to hear that you're taking our advice about getting insurance seriously.  I would hate for disaster to strike.

As for the fame and shame games, you just vote once every 24 hours.  Take two points off your least favorite item on the list (KILL it), and add 2 to your favorite (SAVE it).  When an item reaches 60 points its moved into the Hall of Fame, when it gets to 0 it's moved into the Hall of Shame.  The person who adds or subtracts the points that move it into one of the Halls then gets to select the next item, which starts at 30 points.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What I've Been Up To... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.