Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:47 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Clash of the Titans (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Clash of the Titans (2010)  (Read 35260 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 02, 2010, 02:41:58 AM »

I could have sworn there was already a thread for this, but if there was, I cant find it.

Just got back from a midnight showing, and decided to react to it like any self-respecting nerd: by going on the internet to complain. Granted, cgi spectacles usually arent my thing to begin with, however, clash of the titans was a favorite movie back in the day, and I was curious what they would do with it. Since its late, and I'm tired, I'll just list what I hated:

* The story moves too fast, to the point that we dont care about the characters or anything that happens to them

* The changes made to the story were completely unnecessary and felt at times like a lecture on the evils of religion, with the Gods (or, rather, Zeus) being inconsistantly portrayed as tyrants

* Medusa looks like she-hulk, and isnt really scary (it really says something when claymation is more effective than your effects)

* The stygian witches were kind of creepy, but once again, the original is more effective

* Someone I was with fell asleep a couple of times

* The 3d was barely noticeable

* Several of the characters served no purpose whatsoever and could have easily been removed

* I seriously wondered, at several points, whether I'd wandered into a Uwe Boll movie by mistake

Needless to say, I do not recommend it.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:06:53 AM »

Thanks for the head up, but I still plan on seeing it for myself.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »

I've seen several trailers and it looks awful. The stop motion from 1980 looks way more realistic than all the CGI gorgons some giddy production monkey clicked together. The lead guy just looks like some charisma devoid Gerard Butler clone and everything does indeed look like it moves to quick with no care for story, for heart, for soul. It's not film making anymore, it's not storytelling anymore and I've said it countless times, but it's just money making...

3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 11:20:19 AM »

That is disappointing.  Bluesad   The original was on last week and I got the kids to sit down and watch it, they weren't impressed.. kids today   Buggedout   I loved the original and had a sinking feeling they would butcher it. I haven't seen it yet but I will.. I have a thing for Sam Worthington.. sue me.   TongueOut

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Vik
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »

Question Damn, I LOVED the original and was kind of curious to see the remake, I'm still gonna go see it though, only not in 3D. Medusa and those 3 witches were scary in the original  Buggedout
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »

I actually thought the trailers looked good.  I do like a CGI spectacle once every 3 or 4 years.  Too bad, should have known.  Why waste effort on storytelling and characters when you've got CGI.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »

Damn, and I was hoping Legendary would actually make great out of this.  I do intend to see the movie eventually, but I never held up any high hopes of it being great.  At best, I hoped for fun.  We'll see how that pans out.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »

Gee, never knew hair clippers had been invented in the 1700s  Lookingup

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »

A few more I thought of while at work:

* Ralph Finnes as Hades (the main villain) completely recycles his role as Voldemort

* Sam Worthington, as someone mentioned, is a stock action hero, complete with revenge as motivation and little actual personality.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »

Wow sounds like it sucked, I hope this remake is forgotten by everyone.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »

I guess I am easily amused.  It was a fun popcorn flick.  Liam Neeson was well cast as Zeus, but Fiennes was a rockin' awesome Hades!

The Medusa was OK; didn't care for the Kraken as much.   The giant scorpions were pretty cool, though.

Saw the preview for the new NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and Angelina Jolie's upcoming movie, SNOW.  Both look worth a watch.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:52:28 PM »

Even as a stand alone film it is a crappy modern action film at best, absolute garbage! 5 skulls! A million skulls! Burn it!!!!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:09:03 AM »

Lets just compare a few things shall we.

1981 Medusa:

Looks realistic and damn sinister.

2010 Medusa:

Looks like screenshot from a Tekken videogame...

2010 Kraken:

Looks like a turd with teeth, or even worse the '98 Godzilla!

1981 Kraken:

A piece of hand crafted, artistic mastery from the legend that is Ray Harryhausen rather than sitting at computer and playing connect the CG dots...

I rest my case.  Smile

Raffine

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »

Circus, I can't see your photo of the new Medusa, so here's one with a Photobucket link:

Interesting - Harryhausen's Medusa was bare chested but the new version seems to be wearing a sports bra. This new one looks a bit too sexy, too.

Harryhausen's Medusa: BOOBIES!

In one interview I heard the director brag whereas the 'old' Medusa was slow his version was fast and snappy.  Well, Harryhausen designed the scene as a suspense sequence, not an action sequence. There's really no reason for Medusa to flit around like a gecko - I imagine she rather enjoys slowly stalking her prey.

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard if you look close there's a cameo by Bubo the Owl.

NOTE: If you do a Google image search for  'Bubo' be aware it is also a term for swollen lymph glands infected with the Bubonic plague, so in addition to Harryhausen's goofy mechanical owl you'll get lots of photos of lumpy armpits.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:32:44 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »

The new movie does not look nearly as fun as the old one, but I still plan on seeing it and hopefully in the theater.

By the way, the new Medusa's face looks too pretty! It needs scales or scabs or something hideous!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Clash of the Titans (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.