Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:39 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BIBLICAL PIX ~ Which do you enjoy? Which don't you? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: BIBLICAL PIX ~ Which do you enjoy? Which don't you?  (Read 11418 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: April 02, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »

BIBLICAL PIX ~ Which do you enjoy?  Which don't you?  

KING OF KINGS (1961 ~ aka I WAS A TEENAGE JESUS) was always a major treat to watch around Easter time.  
Small | Large

Small | Large

Here's a peek at THE SILVER CHALICE (1954) which is a must-see not for the fact that it's PAUL NEWMAN's first film-but because it's so bad, it's good... stagey, forced, bizarre junk, this clip is the highlight of the film, JACK PALANCE, wearing Riddler tights, "flies"...  Wink Bluesad BounceGiggle Twirling  
Small | Large

These segments are long, but it's the very end when PAUL NEWMAN is leaving on the boat... and Peter or whoever he is gives him "The Speech" which booms across the water... starting about 5:45 minutes into the clip...  Lookingup  "...the little cup will look very lonely..."   Hatred   BounceGiggle  Twirling
Small | Large

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:53:11 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »

AHD, I like KING OF KINGS, too ... but I still get a kick out of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.  It's so very long and so very Hollywood! TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

I dont care for them at all.  I put them in the same boring category as any sword and sandal flick that doesn't have any monsters.
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »

I'm a big fan of George Stevens' THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, possibly the most outrageous of the 60's biblical epics. What makes it particularly fun to watch is spotting all the celebrities in leading and cameo roles, including:

Max von Sydow ...  Jesus
Carroll Baker ...  Veronica
Victor Buono ...  Sorak
José Ferrer ...  Herod Antipas
Van Heflin ...  Bar Amand
Charlton Heston ...  John the Baptist
Martin Landau ...  Caiaphas
Angela Lansbury ...  Claudia
Pat Boone ...  Angel at the Tomb
David McCallum ...  Judas Iscariot
Roddy McDowall ...  Matthew
Dorothy McGuire ...  The Virgin Mary
Sal Mineo ...  Uriah
Nehemiah Persoff ...  Shemiah
Donald Pleasence ...  The Dark Hermit - Satan
Sidney Poitier ...  Simon of Cyrene
Claude Rains ...  King Herod
Telly Savalas ...  Pontius Pilate
Shelley Winters ...  Woman who is healed
Ed Wynn ...  Old Aram
Robert Blake ...  Simon the Zealot
John Considine ...  John
Jamie Farr ...  Thaddaeus
David Hedison ...  Philip
Russell Johnson ...  Scribe
Mark Lenard ...  Balthazar
Robert Loggia ...  Joseph

And best of all:
John Wayne ...  Centurion at crucifixion

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:38:55 PM »

I dont care for them at all.  I put them in the same boring category as any sword and sandal flick that doesn't have any monsters.
There are somethings you are missing...
Small | Large

I'm a big fan of George Stevens' THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, possibly the most outrageous of the 60's biblical epics. What makes it particularly fun to watch is spotting all the celebrities in leading and cameo roles, including: ...
Shelley Winters...  Woman who is healed ...
And best of all:
John Wayne ...  Centurion at crucifixion
JOHN WAYNE: "He truly is... the son of God."    Lookingup  I was saying that line to myself today, adding, "li'l sister" or "pilgrim"!!   BounceGiggle Seriously.  
SHELLEY WINTERS says: "I'm cured...?  I'm cured...!!"  (...and I always think to myself, "No, you're not; you're still SHELLEY WINTERS...")
And that one has the great MAX moment: "Lazarus...? Lazarus!  Come forth...!!"    
Small | Large
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:41:51 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »

I saw most of the older ones when I was a kid; the only one of them I still like is THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.  I loved the novel "The Robe" and enjoyed the movie as a kid, but when I re-watched it a few years ago, it was so over-acted and cheesy that I just couldn't enjoy it.

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST was a bloody (in the literal sense of the word) masterpiece.  I cried for an hour after the first time I watched it.

I also loved PRINCE OF EGYPT.  The music is thrilling, especially in the confrontation between Moses and Pharaoh.

A very interesting Jesus movie that I have reviewed on here somewhere is THE PERFECT STRANGER.  (NOT the Bruce Willis movie by that title!!!)  It imagines how a dinner conversation between a modern agnostic and the real Jesus of Nazareth might go.  It is very conventionally Christian in its perspective, but she does ask some pretty tough questions.

I  like this as an Easter topic!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 01:14:30 AM »

I do like the Ten Commandments as well.  I'm not sure if I've seen the whole movie, but I also recall thinking the Prince of Egypts was pretty good.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 01:36:59 AM »

This is a subject fraught with peril.

I thought The Passion of the Christ was a very poor retelling of the passion play.

I am not these days Christian at all, but I grew up in the church, so I hope you don't discount my observations.

The story of the passion of Christ is a very powerful one. I thought Gibson's movie focused on the torture to the exclusivity of all else. I know that's an important piece of the story, I just don't think that movie did it well. I found his film sensationalistic.

The movie I am going to defend is Scorcese's "Last Temptation of Christ." There's a big blast of heresy right in the middle of that film, but it was heartfully meant by somebody trying to explore their faith. When Jesus proclaims at the end "It is accomplished!" I thought I was in the hands of somebody who was honestly trying to explore the true meanings of their belief.

I did not get that with Gibson's Passion. In comparison, it was crass.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 03:57:05 AM »

James Collier's JONI (based on the life of artist / singer / writer / activist Joni Eareckson-Tada ) has always been a great inspirationak film to me.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Cthulhu

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 06:07:15 AM »

Jesus Christ vampire hunter.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »

I have loved Ben Hur - if that qualifies? - since I was small.  It is a very emotional attachment - I do not expect to be able to explain it.  And The Ten Commandments.  As Silverlady said: so very Hollywood.  The whole 'spectacle' atmosphere really suits.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »

Not my favorite genre, but gotta give it up for de Mille's SIGN OF THE CROSS, an exploitation movie masquerading as a morally uplifting Christian film:

Small | Large

Luis Bunuel's THE MILKY WAY... a great, strange "biblical" pic from a devoted atheist!

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »

I thought The Passion of the Christ was a very poor retelling of the passion play.

About Gibson's Passion film, I know Satanists and Christians alike who love that film.  I watched it with my mom last Easter and I thought that it was... okay.  Really, I wasn't disturbed by it, and, at least then, I considered myself a Christian.  I guess it could be good as a teaching tool, and maybe a scare tactic by some churches.

Mofo, is Last Temptation of the Christ worth it to watch?  I'm sorta curious to see it...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 09:41:58 PM »

About Gibson's Passion film, I know Satanists and Christians alike who love that film.  I watched it with my mom last Easter and I thought that it was... okay.  Really, I wasn't disturbed by it, and, at least then, I considered myself a Christian.  I guess it could be good as a teaching tool, and maybe a scare tactic by some churches.
Mofo, is Last Temptation of the Christ worth it to watch?  I'm sorta curious to see it...
I wonder if you don't underrate THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, but I wouldn't know... I haven't seen it!!  TeddyR  Wink Nor do I care to.  As for MARTIN SCORSESE's THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST (1988) yes, well worth a watch.  It gets a bit perplexing, but nonetheless engrossing, and the ending brings the point of the book, the movie, and the eternal relevance of Christ the man into perspective.   Thumbup

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

Small | Large

PAUL NEWMAN's last line: "If only I'd been able to restore the cup to you..."  
ST. PETER's response: "It will be restored, but for years, and for 100s of years, it will lie [sic] in darkness...where I know not...when it is brought out into the light again there will be great cities...and mighty bridges, and towers higher than the tower of Baybel... it will be a world of evil... " zzzzzzzzzzzz
 BounceGiggle  Thumbup  BounceGiggle  I have to tell you Badmovie lovers that THE SILVER CHALICE is a Mashterpiesche!! 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:04:57 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BIBLICAL PIX ~ Which do you enjoy? Which don't you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.