Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:20:58 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Drive-ins ~ any left where you are? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Drive-ins ~ any left where you are?  (Read 8081 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 08, 2010, 01:28:38 AM »

Drive-in cinemas used to be the thing in South Africa until television came along in 1975 and then they started shutting one by one. Yes, you read right: television only came to SA in 1975 as it was banned as 'the devil's box' by the then government.

Aside from the drive-in here www.menlynpark.co.za in Pretoria and one in Johannesburg, I think that era has been and gone for South Africa, sadly.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:04:25 AM »

There are about 20 or more around the province of Ontario (I looked) - but that is quite a large area.  Two or three are near enough to me. Apparently a NEW one opened in Toronto in 2001 as part of an entertainment complex.

(OOH! The Starlite has three screens and is showing 'How to Train Your Dragon' and 'Clash of the Titans' this week!)

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:09:09 AM »

Here in Saskatoon we have one.  It's still in business (barely).  It's $10 a person to go watch three movies, starting from about 10 PM to about 4-5 AM.   I've been there once, and I may be taking my girlfriend and a few other friends again there soon.

They show newly released films.  I saw Get Smart, Iron Man, and 10,000 BC when I went.  So it's been a while.  All in all, it's not a bad experience.  The only problem is that there's a gas station next to it, and the light from that makes the movie a little hard to watch, especially the first film of the night.  But then again, who goes to drive-ins for the movie anyway? Wink
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:21 AM »

The last movie that I went to see in a drive-in was Gandhi, believe it or not.  Buggedout

joejoeherron
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:57:15 AM »

down here in SE Indiana, there are two working drive ins that I know about. The one south of me doesn't have working speakers. You would use the AM radio in your car or bring a portable. The last time I was there, Another 48 Hours and Total Recall were playing.
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »

There are a couple in my area. The one we go to closes during the winter but will be opening in a week or so. I cant wait.   TeddyR   Its the cheapest way for my family to go to the movies. 19 bucks for 5 of us to see 2 movies, you cant beat that.  Thumbup

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »

The one in our town was called the Skyview drive-in.  My folks used to take me there quite often when I was a little kid.  It closed ages ago, maybe in the early '80s.  The last movie I saw at a drive-in was in Oceanside California, "Night Shift" starring Henry Winkler, in 1982.

I guess there's still one open in Eau Claire Wisconsin, which is about 70 miles from here. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
3mnkids

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:09:27 AM »

The one in our town was called the Skyview drive-in.  My folks used to take me there quite often when I was a little kid.  It closed ages ago, maybe in the early '80s.  The last movie I saw at a drive-in was in Oceanside California, "Night Shift" starring Henry Winkler, in 1982.

I guess there's still one open in Eau Claire Wisconsin, which is about 70 miles from here. 

That's funny. The one we go to is called skyview drive-in.   TeddyR

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Vik
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »

I'm too young to have ever seen a drive-in  Thumbdown
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »

That's funny. The one we go to is called skyview drive-in.   TeddyR

This is now really weird: I was born in Bulawayo in the then Rhodesia and Bulawayo's drive-in was called The Skyview.  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »

Getting stranger: there was a drive-in in Cape Town called The Sky-Vue. Smile

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »

There's one near me but I've never been.  Bluesad

According to one site there are 17 drive-ins in operation in the state of Kentucky, but I imagine that number has dropped since the last time the page was updated.

What bothers me isn't that there are no more drive-ins per se, but that there are no more drive-in movies... they just show the same stuff the cineplexes show nowadays.   Bluesad

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »

Just one.  Bluesad

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »

There is one a few towns over from us, but I have never been.

http://www.dallasmotorvu.com/

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »

I don't think there's a single one in the entire country.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Drive-ins ~ any left where you are? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.