Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:37:09 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! My comp's infected! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! My comp's infected!  (Read 1873 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 08, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »

Dunno what I did (or didn't do) but my computer is messed up.  It started with the links in google and yahoo redirecting me to advertisements.  So, now I've been scanning and rescanning my computer with every scan program I know about (and several I just learned about today) trying to root out the problem.  Suddenly I start getting a fake "Windows Security" program telling me I need to "upgrade" now in order to get full protect from the 27 or so viruses I'm infected with.  

I find a trojan or two with one program, delete it, reboot but the links in Google and Yahoo STILL direct to somewhere else.  (Although sometimes they'll work correctly the first two or so time, as though trying to mock me.)  

DAMN YOU TO f**kING HELL whoever creates this s**t!!!  You think I have nothing better to do than spend ALL DAY trying to fix my computer which got f**ked up because your self-esteem is damn low you gotta create useless crap that plays havoc with other people's property?!  

God, I wish I could get my hands on the people who did this.  

Anyway, if anyone has any advice that might help, I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:45:36 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Paquita

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »

Someone at my husband's office had the same issue with the fake Windows Security thing... was it something like the XP Security Center?  He looked the problem up online and found some posts where people had documented the steps to remove the virus(es).  He had to use Norton, AVG, and one other program, and he also remembers searching the hard drive and removing the virus from the start-up options... it took him the whole day.  He recommends going to www.bleepingcomputer.com for help.

I'm sure you'll get it fixed after a day or two of frustration and colorful language  Smile.

My mom got a computer virus at work last week when she got an e-mail supposedly from the IRS stating that she was being audited for underreported earnings.  When she opened the e-mail it linked to a webpage that doesn't open, but gives you a virus when you click it.  She called me all panicked about being auditted and said it was because I was transferring money into her bank account.  I told her The IRS doesn't send you e-mails!  Send it to me!... and then, yeah, I opened it and got the virus too.

By the way! Congrats on your 2000th post!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:31:41 PM by Paquita » Logged
TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »

BTM, I got the same exact thing on my computer and it wouldn't let me do a thing to correct it - not even so much as to download a free virus scanner/blocker from a reputable site.   hot

What I eventually had to do was shell out 40-some dollars and buy a Kaspersky Anti-Virus for my PC; it's the same one we use at work and we have never had a virus for the 2+ years I've been there.  Well, I loaded it in, verified it and, after trying one or two tricks (because the virus wouldn't even let me connect with Kaspersky initially; I had to download a fake Kaspersky key and run the program with it before I could do anything else), I then was able to connect to Kaspersky online, download the real key for it and run it normally.  Buggedout

Not only has my PC been completely virus-free since then, it has also continually blocked 3 Viruses, 110 Trojans and 2 Riskwares.  I love Kaspersky.   BounceGiggle

And no I'm not a Kaspersky salesman, but I do like using stuff that helps me use my PC.  Think about it; if you have any questions on it, PM me - no one should have to deal with that kind of carpola on their computer.   Hatred

Either way, good luck with getting back in the online world.   Cheers

- TGWD

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
BTM

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »

.And no I'm not a Kaspersky salesman, but I do like using stuff that helps me use my PC.  Think about it; if you have any questions on it, PM me - no one should have to deal with that kind of carpola on their computer.   Hatred

Either way, good luck with getting back in the online world.   Cheers

- TGWD

Well, I'm not certain, but I THINK (knock on wood) that I got rid of the viruses that were plaguing me.  (Or at least, I haven't had any of the fake Windows Security things or other crap pop up on me.)  Not 100% sure, but I think that one of the programs I'd gotten to detect the rootkit was actually RE-INFECTING me.  I'd scan with Malbytes software and Spybot, delete the files it'd find, go online, try a search term, first couple of links would work okay, then I'd scan with this other so-called protection program, and it'd say I had such and such virus on my system, and then, when I tried another search term link, bam, it'd send me somewhere else.

So, I thought, "Waaaaaaait a minute!" 

So, I rescanned, deleted the files, deleted THAT program, scanned again, did some more search terms, and, so far, everything seems okay. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! My comp's infected! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.