Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:23:13 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rollover (1981) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rollover (1981)  (Read 3254 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 09, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »

Small | Large

Rollover
What Does Rollover Mean?
A rollover is when you do the following:
Reinvesting funds from a mature security into a new issue of the same or a similar security.

Transferring the holdings of one retirement plan to another without suffering tax consequences.

A charge that is incurred by Forex investors who move their positions to the following delivery date.  

You probably haven't heard of this movie. it wasn't a hit in the theatres or video stores but it is being rediscovered in light of it's relevence to the more recent (but long brewing) plight of the US dollar. It's certainly not bad but it has remained on the fringes for a number of reasons:

First, the music and overall feel is pretty bland. While "Wall Street" and other 80's movies showed the (alleged) connection between wild breakdance era Manhattan and the coke fueled burning on all cyclinders world of finance, Rollover has a dull fusion soundtrack that sounds hip and urban only to those over 100. The opening sequence is one of the most boring I think I've ever seen and opening sequences are usually pretty boring. Bret Easton Ellis and co hadn't happened yet. The walls of the main characters penthouse apartment are covered in passe De Koonings and Lichtensteins rather than Jean-Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring. "Rollover" misses the boat on that whole thing.

Another reason: while you don't need a PHD to understand the plot it wouldn't hurt. As a casual CNBC viewer and goldbug I could generally follow the idea of foreign investors (arabs here) being treated like kings in hopes that they stay in one currency (the dollar) because of the calamity that would occur if they were to pull out and go into, say, gold. While the various attempts of the various players to cover themselves and their entities aren't much different than trying to recall the details of any mystery, it's likely alot less colorful and more esoteric to the layperson.

Probably another reason why the film wasn't a hit is it borrows a bit of tension from the by then played out conspiracy films and the trailer pitches it as one which I guess it is. The plot is pretty well plausible though as we are seeing today with gold at 1,000+ an ounce and faith in government issued currencies being lost around the world particularly here in the US.

Jane Fonda and Kris Kristofferson are pretty darn good. The hour and 50 minutes breezed by. If you are CNBC fanboy/girl, Ron Paul supporter,conspiracy junkie, or any combination thereof this is an obvious recommendation. Others less concerned with all this end of the world stock exchange related tedium may want to skip it. I hate say it but this is one that might well deserve a...(gulp)...remake  Buggedout.

4.5/5
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:01:18 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »

I saw this movie during it's original theatrical run.  I don't remember much about it, but I don't think I liked it very much.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rollover (1981) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.