Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:51:30 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  This is Spinal Tap (1984) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is Spinal Tap (1984)  (Read 3113 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: April 14, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »

I just watched this movie recently for the first time in a long time, and I was amazed at how good it still is. This movie is nearly perfect. So many great moments, and is actually more entertaining than most real documentaries. Not to mention, this film is much more influential than most people realize. A breath of fresh air after many recent viewings that have left me temporarily disenchanted with film.

What are some of you favorite moments/bits/aspects of this classic "mockumentary?"

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »

strange, I was just thinking of this watching Burgomaster's 200 movie quotes thread (just below this one).

yeah it's a classic, groundbreaking. so influential, like you say. too many funny bits to mention, I dunno , I'll just think of one....how about: "shhh...listen to the sustain on that." "It's not plugged in..." "Yeah, but if it was, you would hear it".

or "this one's like a cross between Mozart and Bach. It's like a 'Mach'" "What's it called?" "It's called Lick My Love Pump"

have you ever seen A MIGHTY WIND done by the same guys? It's a similar spoof, but of Folk/Country music. I think it's as funny as Spinal Tap (IMO).

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »

Yes, I like A Mighty Wind. Actually, the group The Folksmen actually opened up for Spinal Tap when they did a reunion tour in the 90's. So, Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer actually performed as The Folksmen, went backstage, changed costumes, and performed as Spinal Tap. I had the misfortune of missing that, but had a friend who went to the show and managed to sneak up to the stage after the show and steal the set list that was taped to the floor of the stage.

This is Spinal Tap is such a thorough film with it's humor. Every little thing is part of the joke. Even the bands label: Polymer Records.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »

Yes, I like A Mighty Wind. Actually, the group The Folksmen actually opened up for Spinal Tap when they did a reunion tour in the 90's. So, Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer actually performed as The Folksmen, went backstage, changed costumes, and performed as Spinal Tap. I had the misfortune of missing that, but had a friend who went to the show and managed to sneak up to the stage after the show and steal the set list that was taped to the floor of the stage.

hah I bet that was good. Spinal Tap played Glastonbury Festival last year. Glastonbury is only 15 miles from where I live, I would've liked to go but tickets sell out in an hour (100K+ tickets gone in an hour). they showed it on tv though and it was funny as ever, there was even a backstage interview that was on youtube but unfortunately channel 4 have just deleted any copyrighted content so its not on there now...

voltron

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »

This movie rules. "You can't dust for vomit" "Have a good time all the time" "these go to eleven" and yeah, "Lick my love pump". Thumbup I've heard that the UK metal band Saxon were the inspiration for this movie. Not sure if it's true or not though.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »

I've heard that the UK metal band Saxon were the inspiration for this movie. Not sure if it's true or not though.

I think its supposed to be a combination of a lot of things. Black Sabbath, Peter Gabriel era Genesis (stage show-wise), the whole 'metal' scene in general, including Saxon probably. If it had been a specific parody of just one band I don't think the appeal would've been as broad to the average viewer - pretty much anyone can watch spinal tap and 'get it'

something else I didn't realise until recently is that Harry Shearer who plays Dereck Smalls ("Im the lukewarm water")does loads of the voices in The Simpsons. Mr. Burns and Smithers plus loads of other ones. I think he might be a writer for Simpsons as well, not sure about that though

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »

This movie is a perfectly done film and pretty much captures what any hasbeen band will go through on the road.    Aside being one of the most quotable films of all time, the cast is loaded with talent.  The music rocks as well.  I like the standard moments that everyone loves like the amps going to "11" and "Stonehenge".  However, I truly cherish the moments people don't mention much.   For example, Artie Fufkin;
NSFW
Small | Large

I love the guy who rolls in and says "Ohhhhh thank god civilization!"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:31:06 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  This is Spinal Tap (1984) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.