Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:24:43 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Larry Buchanan film do you recommend? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Larry Buchanan film do you recommend?  (Read 2661 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 16, 2010, 07:39:36 AM »

Lately I've been reading reviews on the z-grade marvels of Mr. Buchanan and have become interested in them. The thing is: I don't know which ones to look for and which to avoid.

So what do you guys recommend?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:44:22 AM by diamondwaspvenom » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »

The only one I've seen (outside of "Eye Creatures" on MST3K) is MARS NEEDS WOMEN.  If you're looking for laughably inept cheese, it's no PLAN 9 but it's a pretty good choice.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »

I second Mars Needs Women. That is wonderfully horrible stuff.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »

IT'S ALIVE (1969) - no, not the monster baby movie - but a made-for-TV film (starring TOMMY KIRK) that I can't believe could have ever been aired.  It's truly awful... but, it did make us laugh a lot at its lameness! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »

I'd recommend The Eye Creatures.  Inept acting, John Ashley, cardboard sets and they only had one complete alien outfit, so when the gang of monsters are shown at one point, you can see most of them are people in dark bodysuits with the alien head and shoulders on. It made me want to cry and wet myself with laughter all at the same time.
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »

Legend has it Walt Disney himself caught Disney and AIP beach movie star Tommy Kirk doing a stagehand behind the scenes of THE MONKEY'S UNCLE (1965) - and so freeing Kirk up for a career in Larry Buchanan movies.

Buchanan's films, particularly IT'S ALIVE, have quite a surreal feel to them. Not many filmmakers are bold enough to put a Bermanesque flashback lasting nearly 30 minutes depicting the slow and subtle psychological decline of a respected elementary school teacher near the end of their monster movie.

It's art, I tells ya!

I'm partial to ZONTAR: THE THING FROM VENUS (a remake of IT CONQUERED THE WORLD) and CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION (remake of THE SHE CREATURE).

IN THE YEAR 2889 (remake of DAY THE WORLD ENDED) is fun, too, in a Larry Buchanan kind of way. Oddly enough, the drawings of the mutated critters are much better than the ones in the original film.

In case you haven't noticed, many of Buchanan's films were 'remakes' of some classic Corman 50s sci-fi films - made so AIP could show 'em on TV in color. Most of them debuted on local cheap 'SHOCK THEATER'- type programs. That's I first saw 'em, back in the late 60s and early 70s.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:58:41 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »

It's Alive seems his most original film in many ways so I'd recommend that over most of his others since most of his movies are remakes or rips of other films, most mentioned by others already. The plot to Eaten Alive is surprisingly similar?! Buggedout . Mars Needs Women is probably the most watchable film of his I've seen though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:33:10 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »

He also did expliotation films like COMMON LAW WIFE....

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »

He also did expliotation films like COMMON LAW WIFE....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sir1LLpW83Q

I've always wanted to see his "What if..." exploitation film THE TRIAL OF LEE HARVEY OSWALD (1964).

YOU are the jury! Not a Newsreel! Filmed secretly in Dallas!

Funny, like Buchanan's IT'S ALIVE, there was a later much better know film with the same title, but this time starring Lorne Greene and Ben Gazzara instead of Arthur Nations and Charles Mazyrack.

Buchanan's TRIAL is available from Something Weird, but it's supposed to be a real snooze fest. The disc also has Buchanan's THE OTHER SIDE OF BONNIE AND CLYDE, so I think maybe I'll give it a shot - no pun intended.  TongueOut
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:18:12 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Larry Buchanan film do you recommend? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.