Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:33:16 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  13 year old racer dies in motorcycle race « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 13 year old racer dies in motorcycle race  (Read 2177 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 30, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »

So, I was on Yahoo when I saw this story on the front page.  It's about Peter Lenz, a 13 year old who was a rising star in the motorcycle racing world.  Anyway, according to the story his bike crashed on a warm up race and his hit by another rider, sustaining lethal injuries.

I admit, I don't follow racing much, it never really appealed to me.  That said, I had NO idea there was even a league for people this young to participate in such sports.  Apparently though, both of these kids had been racing for years (and were rather good at it, from what I can gather.)  I did some research and found a video on Youtube that showed him racing when he was ten, and, wholly crap!  I can't imagine doing that, especially seeing how low they go to the ground when they make sharp turns (course, I'm a wuss, so that that for whatever it's worth.)

What's really worth is that this is not the first time boy got injured.  Last season he had a mechanical failure on his bike causing to crash and get four broken bones and a severed radial nerve.  In the video you can see him wearing an external fixator as he picks ruefully at the grass next to him, probably hating more than anything to be slowed down.    Next year, he was healed up and back to racing.  I guess if an injury like that couldn't persuade someone that young to give up racing, I don't think anything could. 

I feel bad for the family, and wish them nothing but the best, and the same for the other boy, Xavier.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2010/08/vancouver_teen_peter_lenz_killed_in_motorcycle_race_at_indianapolis_motor_speedway.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100830/ap_on_sp_ot/mot_indianapolis_gp_crash;_ylt=AtCM5ml2WAcsWQcY3XdFyPhH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTNlNXI5aXZzBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODMwL21vdF9pbmRpYW5hcG9saXNfZ3BfY3Jhc2gEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM1BHBvcwM1BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDdGVlbm1vdG9yY3lj

Small | Large

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »

As someone who lost his only younger brother in a motorcycle accident back in 2003, I can only imagine what his family is going through.
After my brother died a week before his 23rd birthday, my family began to openly talk about their hatred for motorcycles.  They would rant and rave about how unsafe they were.

I never blamed the motorcycle.  It wasn't the bike's fault.  It was simply a machine.  It was my brother's fault because he was an inexperienced rider who was riding a bike that had way too much power.  (a super high powered crotch rocket)

It's weird.  I'll talk to guys who are heavy into motorcycles like Harley's and rice burners and almost every single one of them knew someone close who died while riding one.
BTM

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »

Ash, I am really sorry to hear about your younger brother.  (hugs)

As for everyone who's in motorcycles knowing someone who's died in crashes, well, I guess just by there nature, motorcycles in general are more dangerous compared to other road vehicles.  I mean, in car, you've got some protection there from a crash, but on a cycle you're out and exposed.  

In their younger days, my parents rode motorcycles, although there choice was Goldwings (which, I'm told in the motorcycle world is kind of the equivalent of "if you want a couch, you could just say home.").  My older brother though, when he was younger had a wreck on his bike, not sure all the detail, but I believe he was going a bit to fast and ground was covered in loose gravel.  Course, he also made the brilliant decision to ride while wearing SHORTS.  I remember his leg looking like grated cheese for awhile, but, luckily no permanent damage.

As you can imagine, the story has provoked a flurry comments about people saying there should be more rules and age restrictions on that sports, there's even a "Charge Peter's Parents With Neglect" group on Facebook.  Others though are defending the sport, saying everyone, even young kids have to go through a lot of rigid tests and standards before they can even start to race.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble, but again, my condolences on your brother.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:47:32 AM »

there's even a "Charge Peter's Parents With Neglect" group on Facebook.

And it is this group of people that REALLY p^$$ me off.  What a load of crap.

We had the same thing from folks here last year or so when a 12 year old (I think, though he may have been 14) died while surfing as a storm blew by WAY offshore.  People were claiming that the parents should not have let him out there and that they should be charged.

What crap.  

First of all, neither boy was a "newb" at what he was doing...both were experienced and by all accounts properly trained and reasonably proficient.  

Parens Patriae has run amok in this country.  This is not neglect...it's a parent letting and helping a child live a full and exciting life.  Neither death was reasonably predictable to any great certainty ... no more so than a child dying in a car wreck, house fire, choking or drowning.

I faced this when my daughter was three and she started gymnastics.  We had to sign papers acknowledging that we knew "serious injury or death" may result.  Ditto what she does now (rides horses).  As her parent, it is MY decision to weigh that risk and decide to take it (**)...not a bunch of immoral losers on Facebook who want to second guess me with their high and mighty 20-20 hindsight.

I say we celebrate the LIVES of these two boys (and others) and stop all the second guessing and nannyism.  God Bless them and their families.

(**) Believe me, I've thought long and hard about this stuff...if something happens to one of my children on the basis of what I "let" them do, will I look back and regret the decision?  My answer, for me, is HELL NO.  I believe indecision and inaction are far weaker than so-called wrong decisions, and I don't think properly considered risk is a wrong decision anyway.  You cannot keep them in a bubble and expect them to grow into thinking, functioning adults.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:02:42 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
BTM

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:48:52 AM »

I say we celebrate the LIVES of these two boys (and others) and stop all the second guessing and nannyism.  God Bless them and their families.

(**) Believe me, I've thought long and hard about this stuff...if something happens to one of my children on the basis of what I "let" them do, will I look back and regret the decision?  My answer, for me, is HELL NO.  I believe indecision and inaction are far weaker than so-called wrong decisions, and I don't think properly considered risk is a wrong decision anyway.  You cannot keep them in a bubble and expect them to grow into thinking, functioning adults.

It's interesting that you say that.  I remember reading one of the comments that a fellow was saying he found it funny that so many people lament how too many kids these day are fat and just want to "sit on the couch and play video games" but when yuo have kids going out and being active and doing things, the same people decry their parents for letting them take risks. 

And yeah, in every situation you always have armchair quarterbacks who will tell you with certainy what "should" have happened. 

Hopefully though, for the boys' families' sake people like that will be pushed to wayside by those who support them and what they're going through right now.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  13 year old racer dies in motorcycle race « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.