Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:20:05 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Time for the annual gardening thread « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Time for the annual gardening thread  (Read 21651 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 17, 2010, 06:55:23 AM »

I planted our garden yesterday.  This year we've got leeks (wife mistakenly bought them instead of onions), spinach (another wife thing - I hate the stuff  TeddyR ), carrots, bush beans and pole beans, peas, two kinds of lettuce, two kinds of peppers, and various herbs.  The chives from last year were coming up all over the garden.  I sort of dug them up because we've got some in a small planter and that should be more than enough for our needs.  Haven't bought any tomatoes yet, we'll wait a while for those.  Now it's just time to water everything and wait for my little green buds to start bursting from the ground  TeddyR  This year I'm going to put up a couple of posts with chicken wire between them for the peas to climb on - every year I give them tomato cages to climb on, every year they get way too tall, every year they tip over into a huge mass of leaves and peas. 

How 'bout you guys and gals?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »

Is it that time again?   BounceGiggle  Nothing in the ground yet, the land won't be ready until mid May.  That is hoping the land dries in time thanks to all the flooding.  Luckily this year I'm working with an apprentice and we've opted to share it 50/50.  The guy is going to be the godfather of our child and always wanted to do a garden.  I figure since I'll be busy with kids, his help will be more than appreciated.  Plans are the usual, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and beans.   I will have to do a hot pepper crop this year for drying.  Habeneros or Scotch Bonnets. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »

We planted a pair of pear trees and a pair of plum trees this spring, along with 4 blueberry bushes and a strawberry patch.  I've been growing a bunch of tomatoes and pepper plants from seed - they are ready to go into the garden.  It's a little early to plant them though, because we usually get some frost during April and early May.

We also have a spot of cilantro that came out big time in the herb garden.  That's been getting added to some of our meals.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Vik
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »

I just mowed my lawns  Drink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:18:00 PM by vik » Logged
claws
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »

We have one plumb and one cherry tree, raspberries, gooseberries and chives. All we have to do is reap  Smile
We don't actually have a garden, it's mostly lawn, around our house. The berries and chives grow at our fence.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »

I put in strawberies, tomatoes, kohlrabi, peas, carrots, parsnips, squash, andzuchini.  Later will be corn, melons, pumpkins, radishes, and bell peppers.  We went really big this year
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Paquita

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »

This year I went to the Home Depot and spent about $75 on gardening stuff.  I started all these seeds in one of those Jiffy seed starting thingys and they were all doing really well.. and then my uncle announced that he will be tearing apart and rebuilding our porch this spring Bluesad.   I have a pumpkin growing nicely in a Dixie cup.. how long do you think that will last?  I'm just going to start planting stuff in my neighbors lawns when they're not looking.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »

You will need a bigger Dixie cup.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:54:19 PM »

You will need a bigger Dixie cup.
Yep, pumpkin vines stretch for yards once they get going.  Had a "suprise" crop last year.  I had thrown an old pumpkin out back and well, the seeds ran that spring. 

DarkSider's Realm

Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:48 PM »

I don't do vegetables ... but I do flowers.  This year was the first time I  did some winter sowing. Started my seeds at the end of January and just plopped the containers outside to deal with the elements. The winter sown stuff had done great so far. Right now I have sprouted containers of snapdragons, coneflowers, california poppies, oriental poppies, bachelor buttons, and baby's breath on a table on my deck.  They are in various types of containers ... chinese takeout, plastic cake containers, containers that roasted chickens come in, gallon milk jugs, whatever I had salvaged. I'm starting to get them into the ground.

I also did a small amount of seed containers inside, too. They have been under 2 grow lights in my kitchen since mid February. Growing are snapdragons, dianthus, and some coneflowers. I have been putting these outside now for 5-6 hours a day to start hardening them off. Have to do this about 2 weeks or so. This is a pain in the ass! I have to put them in the shade, move them into the sun, and have to bring them back into the house at night if the temp is supposed to dip below freezing. Eventually they are supposed to stay out all day and all night.  Winter sowing is [i]so much easier[/i]!

Hold onto your dreams ....
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »

I worked a small patch of land in the back yard and chucked a chopped up spaghetti squash.  I'm sure it will do well although I'm predicting them to run under the clothesline.  I'm sure my wife will step on them. 

DarkSider's Realm

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »

Our lettuce, spinach and peas are poking their heads above ground.  Also planted some tomatoes today.  Picked some rhubarb a while back and made rhubarb crisp - mmmmm.  Those stupid chives from last year, the ones I dug up and buried, are coming up all over the place  BounceGiggle  They cannot be killed!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »

It has been an unusually mild spring here, but I don't trust it so we will be planting in a couple of weeks. Right now we are getting the plot prepared for tilling by applying a good layer of manure.

Meanwhile, the pear, cherry and apple buds are swelling, we have been harvesting asparagus for two weeks and the strawberries are already setting fruit!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 07:55:25 AM »

I had direct sowed poppy seeds a few weeks ago and tiny seedlings are "popping" up all over!   TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »

We put our garden in yesterday.  Now I'm going to hope we don't get a really late frost like last year.  Took a bad toll on our tomatoes and peppers.

Peppers:  red bell, blushing beauty
Tomatoes:  lemon boy, sweet cluster, sugar snack, sweet gold
Zuchinni
Yellow Squash
Pole Beans
Cucumbers
Beets
Carrots
Spinach
Romaine Lettuce

Sunflowers (for Jenna).

The kids love planting the garden, especially putting the eggs into the holes for the tomatoes and breaking them.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Time for the annual gardening thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.