Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:19:57 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The 3-D craze « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The 3-D craze  (Read 8062 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 20, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »

What do you think of the 3-D craze?  I've read quite a few articles lately about the increase in 3-D movies (either originally produced in 3-D or converted to 3-D during post production such as CLASH OF THE TITANS), the trend toward all movies eventually being released in 3-D (seems like this will happen within the next 5 to 10 years), and the development of 3-D television programming.  I read one article that said most 3-D TVs will initially come with only 1 pair of glasses and each additional pair will cost $150.  There are even plans to convert older 2-D movies into 3-D . . . which will cause the same types of arguments that colorization caused . . . CITIZEN KANE in 3-D?  CASABLANCA in 3-D?  PSYCHO in 3-D?  Get ready, because here it comes.  I just hope they convert DOUBLE AGENT 73 and DEADLY WEAPONS into 3-D . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »

CITIZEN KANE in 3-D?  CASABLANCA in 3-D?  PSYCHO in 3-D?  

Not the Good ones! I just hope that the plan to have Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Psycho to NOT be in color....Especially Psycho, it was made to be in Black and White for a reason!

yeah no.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »

I'm not interested in 3-D. If people are that bothered that films and such like should be reaching out and interacting with them, then they need to get outside quick and socialize!  Lookingup

3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »

Its just another gimmick to make people go ewww, ahhhh...the plot sucks, but doesnt it look cool? No thanks.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

Eh.  I watched one movie in 3D to see what all the fuss was about.  It wasn't worth the elevated price.  I'm sure this gimmick will die after a while. 
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »

If people are that bothered that films and such like should be reaching out and interacting with them, then they need to get outside quick and socialize!  Lookingup

Buggedout  What??  In the same place with actual, REAL people???   Are you nuts??
It seems the more 'connected' we get electronically, the less connected we get.  What a world.  Lookingup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »

Eh.  I watched one movie in 3D to see what all the fuss was about.  It wasn't worth the elevated price.  I'm sure this gimmick will die after a while. 

I'm not so sure.  Theaters are already investing big money to install 3-D equipment and most major manufacturers have already developed 3-D TVs and DVD players (by the way, I read that the 3-D glasses may not be compatible across different brands!)  Martin Scorsese's next film is already slated for 3-D.  Several TV networks are already scheduling 3-D programming (including ESPN for sporting events).  I don't see this going away anytime soon.  The articles I read predicted that movies and TV will be mostly, if not completely, using 3-D technology within the next 5 - 10 years.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:14 PM »

Part of it is the economy. People are troubled and want mindless entertainment. The type of movies you're likely to get in 3-D will surely fit the bill. Combine that with the fact that a movie ticket is a cheap night of entertainment compared to other ways poor Americans can amuse themselves, and this is why the movie industry tends to do well during recessions. Look at the Great Depression. The advent of sound in movies was a very big deal, and movie theatres were spending what was alot of money back then to format theatres for sound, all while the country was sinking into a deep economic depression. Why? Because the people were flocking to the theatres to escape from the harsh realities of the time. Could the 3-D surge be our current equivalent? I don't know, I just thought it was an interesting comparison.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »

But do I like it? F**k no.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »

I've seen some junk in 3D and it's not something I'd care to experience any more than once in a blue moon as a novelty. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »

Somebody told me a long time ago that if you close one eye when watching a movie in the theater it looks like 3-D.

It works for me.

"Wow! Lookit the 3-D!"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:43:57 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »

Doesn't do much for me.  The illusion just doesn't seem to work as well for me as it did when I was younger, either.  It always looks broken up.  Because of this, it mostly is just a distraction for me.  I've pretty much decided that the extra cost of 3D is not worth it at the theatres.  Especially now now that they've bumped it up to $4 extra per ticket - meaning, it increases price almost 50% in my area. 

I do not think all films will ever come out only in 3D, but if they do it basically means I'll almost never go to the theatre anymore.  Which is sad, because I LIKE going to the theatre.

I also think the whole thing is a bit of a misnomer - traditional films are DESIGNED to look like they have depth and 3D in most cases, just as seen through a 2D plane.  That's why they so frequently layer things so much in the composition, and use dynamic lighting to make images pop. 

It's also pretty notable that, to date, I'm not aware of anything outside of fantasy/sci-fi/horror being made in 3D.  Basically, genre works (discounting a few documentaries). 

Once we start seeing tons of straight dramas, comedies, thrillers, and action movies in 3D, I'll be convinced it is an overall conversion of the industry.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »

The way I see, the 3D craze has already died out twice. Most movies just don't need to be 3-dimensional (hell, some don't even need to be in colour) and it really shows when a company cuts corners (looks more like a pop-up book than like the characters are "real").

I'm pretty confident that the craze will die down again.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:33:51 AM »

I've only seen two 3D films.  Avatar, and My Bloody Valentine 3D.  The latter was on DVD, and I didn't finish it; it was just too blurry.  Avatar in the theater wasn't half bad, but then again, it's Avatar.  It was a decent experience, but I wouldn't want all of my movie experiences to be like it.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »

Word is that the third Jackass film will be in 3D. I can just imagine the kinds of stuff that will be chucked at the camera. Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The 3-D craze « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.