Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:21:51 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Big List of Dubious Stars « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Big List of Dubious Stars  (Read 8205 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 23, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »

I got thinking about this while coming up with bad movie commandments in another thread. A fine tradition in bad moviemaking is giving star status to anyone within your budget who ever appeared in something a lot of people would have seen. Surprisingly, I actually found myself at a bit of a loss for specific examples. But I'm sure we can come up with quite a few.

I'll start the list with possibly my favourite bad actress, and a textbook example of a flash in the pan. Early success, one lucky break, big-time hype and rapid slide into obscurity, save for roles in such classics as Megaforce and Warrior of the Lost World. Yes, I'm talking about...

1. Persis Khambatta, whose name probably never appeared prominently in a movie ad without the title Star Trek: The Motion Picture somewhere near it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:35:13 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:27:28 AM »

Nothing yet? Actually, I'm not surprised. This specific category is not so easy. A flash in the pan who achieves star status in the B-movies (or their modern equivalent) based on very limited mainstream success.

I can think of actors who had success and then dropped off the radar, such as Bill and Ted's Alex Winter (and yet Keanu went on to stardom, go figure). I can think of older actors who turned to the Bs after a decent career - John Carradine, Donald Pleasance. Actors who tragically destroyed their own careers and took what they could get - Bela Lugosi, Corey Haim. And guys who move comfortably between bit parts in good movies and starring in shlock - Clint Howard.

But actors who got just enough of a break to barely qualify as a "name" actor, but through bad career choices and/or lack of actual talent, followed it with a string of low-budget genre pictures where they received star billing based on their modest fame? Not so easy. Persis might well have been a perfect storm of incredible luck, non-existent acting ability, naivete and no small measure of hubris. I think that's why I find her interesting, aside from her performances cracking me up. But there have to be others. Right?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:35:46 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »

What about Susan Tyrell?  I didn't know if she actually qualified because I think she is a good actress, and she's been in a buttload of movies, was nominated for a major award, but I wouldn't call her a big star.  I think the biggest role I know her from was the queen in Forbidden Zone, but I haven't seen all her movies.  It looks like she mostly plays prostitutes or someone's dirty mom.  I was watching From a Whisper to a Scream the other day and I swore I'd seen her other times and was pretty sure she was Pat Benatar and then I looked her up ..she's not Pat Benatar.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:24:15 AM »

Lance Henriksen

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »

Eric Roberts - He should have fired his agent a long time ago.  The guy has talent and has several very good performances under his belt (THE POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE and STAR 80 to name a couple), but seems to have dropped off the radar screen and moved onto some unmemorable cable TV movies and other B-movies.  It was great to see him in THE DARK KNIGHT, though . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:17:29 AM »

Dean Cain. As far as I can tell, his only claim to fame is a respectable run on Lois and Clark. From there, it seemed like he went straight to starring in direct-to-video action flicks.

---------------------
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »

Lou Diamond Phillips. Got critical acclaim in La Bamba, and has since gone on to star in trashy B-flick after trashy B-flick.

He's done okay in television, but he never lived up to his early potential.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »

Cuba Gooding Jr.

He went from superstar after Jerry Maguire to direct to video action flicks.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »

I think Lorenzo Lamas fits the bill. 
Raffine

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:52:09 PM »

C. Thomas Howell, although I think I actually prefer the craggy, grumpy, and somewhat insane version of Howell in stuff like The Day the Earth Stopped and War of the Worlds 2: The Next Wave than the 80's pretty boy.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »

Hmm just looking at my VHS copy of Amazon Women (AKA: Gold of the Amazon Women (1979) gives me the following names of interest: Bo Svenson, Donald Pleasance and Anita Ekberg.

Rutger Hauer probably deserves a mention in this thread too.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »

I would put Pleasence in the category of actors who found themselves in cheesier roles as they got older. He had enough good work behind him to be called a star, although I'd consider him a character actor. But then, character actors often are better than stars in my book.

---------------------
joejoeherron
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 04:15:50 AM »

would Eric Stoltz be considered on this list?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:51 AM »

Adrienne Barbeau.

Never quite made the big time, did she ?

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 11:53:49 AM »

all the non kim kardashian people

edit: I meant kim kardashian is a celebrity but her family are not. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:25:19 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Big List of Dubious Stars « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.