Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:37:41 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  FAT « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: FAT  (Read 17012 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 10:44:25 PM »

2.   Obesity is probably the last bastion of discrimination.  Studies measuring attitudes and assumptions made about obese people do tend to confirm that the obese are regarded as stupid, weak, immoral, etc. 

Speaking for myself, I can affirm that I've seen #1 bear out true in real cases.   And examining my own attitude at times, i can agree that I do make assumptions about obese people that I would not allow myself to make about (insert race here).   Partially in my defense -- most doctors will admit that they don't feel effectual in helping obese people correct the problem, and out of frustration a certain amount of countertransference happens.
Fat people are the only people where, as a group, it's okay to make fun of them and you can essentially get away with it.  Can't make fun of anyone cause it's politically incorrect...but make fun of the fatties, cause they have no feelings at all! Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »

In defense of doctors, though, there have been cases where they've tried to warn their patients that their lifestyle was probably going to kill them and nearly got sued for it because it hurt the patient's feelings. Nevermind that a doctor's job is to help you with your health and obesity is extremely unhealthy. There's also the fact that it takes a lot of work and willpower to completely change your lifestyle like. Am I saying that obese people are too lazy? No. What I am saying is that in many cases they start excecising more and eating better, don't see dramatic results right away, get discouraged, and go right back to their bad habits. It's not just the obese, either; I've seen people who are only a bit overweight (or even at their ideal weight; damn their metabolism!) struggle with the same thing.

It's a difficult issue, to be sure. You can't force people to excercise everyday and you can't force them to eat well, but it absolutely can be frustrating to be limited only to giving advice that they choose not to listen to.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 01:26:29 AM »

I remember watching some of the commentary on "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" where Benicio del Toro discussed gaining weight for a role.

Paraphrased: "People always make a big deal about an actor gaining weight. It's very easy to gain weight. Do nothing and eat about 12 or so donuts a day."

It is very difficult to lose weight. There is a sure-fire way to lose weight, which is eat less and exercise more. That is literally all there is to it, but that is not easy in the slightest. It's not a coincidence that billions are made every year selling people lose-weight-fast schemes as an easy way out.

Look at it as a numbers game. A pound of fat is about 3500 calories. If you want to get rid of that, you will have to burn that same amount. Your average fast-food cheeseburger is more than 1000 calories, at a minimum. Add in fries and a soda, you can easily bump that amount to more than 2000 calories. You could wake up and eat that. You probably do.

Now look at the average energy burned when you jog for an hour. It's about 600 calories. You would have to jog for over three hours just to burn off the calories you ingested as breakfast!

That's a bit simplified. Just being alive, you have to burn about 2000 calories a day.

But if you compare these values, if you worked out a little bit each day, you may burn 500 more calories than you take in. At that rate, you'd be lucky to lost one pound a week. One tiny pound, and you would really have to work for that pound.

So, if you want to be healthy, you would have to work very, very hard to hope to lose one pound per week. If you tried.

In the meantime, that delicious burger is 3500 calories of fatty goodness.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jim H

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 03:53:34 AM »

Your average fast-food cheeseburger is more than 1000 calories, at a minimum.

Woh, what fast food place serves those?  They're probably delicious.  Burger King and McDonald's cheeseburgers are in the 300 range, you have to get those giant ones (or get several smaller ones) to reach that level.

The BK quad stacker, with 4 beef patties, 4 slices of cheese, and a pile of bacon almost makes it.  930 calories. 

Actually, looking it up, turns out Hardee's is the place to go to get burgers that exceed the 1000 calorie threshold.  The 2/3 monster has 1350 calories if you get it at default - and 95 grams of fat! 

Impressive, huh?
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 11:12:15 AM »

Woh, what fast food place serves those?  They're probably delicious.  Burger King and McDonald's cheeseburgers are in the 300 range, you have to get those giant ones (or get several smaller ones) to reach that level.

The BK quad stacker, with 4 beef patties, 4 slices of cheese, and a pile of bacon almost makes it.  930 calories. 

Actually, looking it up, turns out Hardee's is the place to go to get burgers that exceed the 1000 calorie threshold.  The 2/3 monster has 1350 calories if you get it at default - and 95 grams of fat! 

Impressive, huh?

Yeah, Mofo was exaggerating a bit there, 1000 calories is well above the average fast food cheeseburger, it's more like 300-500 calories, but that's okay, the fries often bring the total up quite a bit. Further, just about everything you eat at a fast food place is dead food, that is, processed and no longer containing the enzymes and amino acids that you get from eating fresh food. These things are important for your body to break down all those calories and do the right things with them. Someone who eats 3000 calories a day of fast food burgers, fries, nuggets, pizza, etc., is going to store more fat than someone who eats 3000 calories a day of a more fresh food diet, assuming both have the same level of physical activity a day. I eat fast food here and there, but I also mix in fresh food and supplements that contain alot of those enzymes and amino acids that I'm missing because I don't eat fresh all the time. I'm not a terribly active person, but I manage to keep my weight under control, but I could stand to lose 15 pounds or so.

The point is this, Mofo was right about his main point, there's no mystery here. Eat a little less, exercise a little more, and you will lose weight. The only thing I would add is try to tip the intake balance a little more to the fresh side, and maybe mix in some anti-oxidant fruits or veggies (you don't have to go overboard). 

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »

Heh. Good point. I should have modified that to say the fast-food cheeseburgers that I would bother eating are more than 1000 calories.

That probably says more about my eating habits than anything else.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »

Impressive, huh?

Yeah, Mofo was exaggerating a bit there, 1000 calories is well above the average fast food cheeseburger, it's more like 300-500 calories, but that's okay, the fries often bring the total up quite a bit. Further, just about everything you eat at a fast food place is dead food, that is, processed and no longer containing the enzymes and amino acids that you get from eating fresh food. These things are important for your body to break down all those calories and do the right things with them. Someone who eats 3000 calories a day of fast food burgers, fries, nuggets, pizza, etc., is going to store more fat than someone who eats 3000 calories a day of a more fresh food diet, assuming both have the same level of physical activity a day. I eat fast food here and there, but I also mix in fresh food and supplements that contain alot of those enzymes and amino acids that I'm missing because I don't eat fresh all the time. I'm not a terribly active person, but I manage to keep my weight under control, but I could stand to lose 15 pounds or so.

The point is this, Mofo was right about his main point, there's no mystery here. Eat a little less, exercise a little more, and you will lose weight. The only thing I would add is try to tip the intake balance a little more to the fresh side, and maybe mix in some anti-oxidant fruits or veggies (you don't have to go overboard). 
You should see the new additions to the menu at the restaurant I work in.  We used to have two fry options: regular and Cheese.  Not anymore:
Cheese-steak Fries- a very large basket of french fries, completely covered not only in STEAK, but Cheese.
Texas Tommy Fries- Again, large fries.  But this time, with cheese, as well as taking two hot dogs that are wrapped in bacon, fried, cut up and dispensed among the fries.
Spicy Chicken Fries- Fries with breaded chicken nuggets cut up and put in said fries. 

Calories have to be off the charts, fat content too.

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 02:12:41 AM »

So, if you want to be healthy, you would have to work very, very hard to hope to lose one pound per week. If you tried.

Actually, it's not that hard if you work it into your routine. It only takes about 100 minutes of walking to burn off around 500 calories. Now, that's 100 cumulative minutes throughout your day; one decent walk (at least 40 minutes) a day on top of an average workday routine can just about clear it. So yes, it is possible to burn off around 500 calories in a day without breaking a sweat. The trouble is, of course, making yourself do it long enough for it to become a habit. Going from an unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy (or at least healthier) one is a test of will, although getting support from the people around you will greatly increase your odds of success.
joejoeherron
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 04:59:46 AM »

Over the last month I was able to lose 15 pounds by just changing my diet. Cut out the fast food entirely,no more soda,started drinking massive amounts of juice and water.Stopped eating the "husky man" breakfast and switched to cereal. Started to work outside more. This kind of diet really sucks, but for me it works.the worst part was, I had to cut out the beer.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »

.the worst part was, I had to cut out the beer.
I've done everything you mentioned, with the exception of this last sentence.  I still like to drink.  I may have to cut it out though. Bluesad

BTM

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »

It is very difficult to lose weight. There is a sure-fire way to lose weight, which is eat less and exercise more. That is literally all there is to it, but that is not easy in the slightest. It's not a coincidence that billions are made every year selling people lose-weight-fast schemes as an easy way out.

Look at it as a numbers game. A pound of fat is about 3500 calories. If you want to get rid of that, you will have to burn that same amount. Your average fast-food cheeseburger is more than 1000 calories, at a minimum. Add in fries and a soda, you can easily bump that amount to more than 2000 calories. You could wake up and eat that. You probably do.

Well, it's more than just that.  Also, when you cut back on your calorie intake, your stupid body gets all, "I'm hungry!  I'm hungry!!  Feed me more!  Feed me more!!!"  Because it thinks you're starving yourself, because in many ways your body is stupid and doesn't know what's best for it.

Bluesad
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:43:19 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

Well, it's more than just that.  Also, when you cut back on your calorie intake, your stupid body gets all, "I'm hungry!  I'm hungry!!  Feed me more!  Feed me more!!!"  Because it thinks you're starving yourself, because in many your body is stupid and doesn't know what's best for it.

Bluesad

Helping prior service Marines to get fit and lose weight is something I do often these days, because of my present billet. 

Starving yourself just makes your body cut down your metabolism.  You should eat your 2000 calories a day unless there is a medical reason not to, and increase your activity.  Also, it matters when you get your calories.  If you eat 1000 calories right before bed your body can't do anything with it besides make fat.  Eat a healthy breakfast, eat a solid lunch, eat a good dinner at least 3-4 hours before bedtime, and then don't eat anything after dinner.  No soda or beer either, just water.  If you have to eat something, try eating a food that will make you feel full, like something with pectin.  Peaches, citrus fruits, apricots, apples, cherries, and blueberries are your friends.  Heck, while we're at it, cucumbers have almost 0 calories.

If you eat a dessert, try to do it with lunch.  Give your body time to burn off the calories.

You also need to get a handle on how many calories you are taking in.  Keep a diary of everything you eat and drink, except for water.  You might be surprised how many calories are coming from something you didn't think to worry about.

The best way to lose weight is to build muscle either mass or tone, as muscle burns calories.  You should do aerobic exercise 5 days a week, for at least 20 minutes.  Running, biking, swimming - anything like that.  And you can't just do it, you have to EXERCISE.  You have to push it, get your heart up, get those muscles working.  Don't kill yourself until your body gets used to the exercise, but you build strength and endurance by challenging your body.  No challenge = no change.  High intensity can make up for shorter duration.

The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn.  Work that core!  Do pull-ups, push-ups, bicycle crunches, and squats.  You should be doing this at least 3 days a week.  Check out Crossfit for ideas.  www.crossfit.com is the site, with demos if you need them.  One of my favorite workouts is 10 pull-ups, 20 push-ups, 40 abdominal exercises - repeat that between 8-10 times sets.

For center I often do bicycle crunches, leg lift triple threats (leg lifts, hello Dolly's, and alternating leg lifts), full-range situps, obliques, back raises and superman lower back.

The first 2-4 weeks you start an exercise program you are going to be sore.  Your body has to get used to recovering from what you do to it, and what you put it through.  Get through that period, and you'll see a world of difference. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 02:47:45 AM »

Well, it's more than just that.  Also, when you cut back on your calorie intake, your stupid body gets all, "I'm hungry!  I'm hungry!!  Feed me more!  Feed me more!!!"  Because it thinks you're starving yourself, because in many your body is stupid and doesn't know what's best for it.

Bluesad

Sorry. I tend to be glib.

It is a numbers game. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. That's just the way the universe works. But that's pretty detached, and we all know it's more difficult than that.

Andrew's advice is great. It's more important to turn your life from mostly sedentary to active, whatever form that takes.

It's pretty well established that having extra fat on yourself is much healthier than the zero body fat ideal we're led to believe is optimal. Unfortunately, appearance always seems to trump health. A bad way to look at things. If you make physical activity a part of your life, you don't need to worry about fitting into the pants you wore in high school.

Health is the important thing, and if you can put some physical activity that you enjoy into your everyday routine, you're pretty much set. You'll have more energy, and it will literally make you smarter. (It will.)

Go have fun. Enjoy finding out what your body can do. Health and weight loss will follow.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »

Bluesad

Sorry. I tend to be glib.

It is a numbers game. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. That's just the way the universe works. But that's pretty detached, and we all know it's more difficult than that.

Andrew's advice is great. It's more important to turn your life from mostly sedentary to active, whatever form that takes.

It's pretty well established that having extra fat on yourself is much healthier than the zero body fat ideal we're led to believe is optimal. Unfortunately, appearance always seems to trump health. A bad way to look at things. If you make physical activity a part of your life, you don't need to worry about fitting into the pants you wore in high school.

Health is the important thing, and if you can put some physical activity that you enjoy into your everyday routine, you're pretty much set. You'll have more energy, and it will literally make you smarter. (It will.)

Go have fun. Enjoy finding out what your body can do. Health and weight loss will follow.

So this thread has risen from the depths yet again. Probably has something to do with all those burger threads. Mmmmmm, burgers.

Andrew's post is perhaps the best so far. It's becoming well known that eating frequently, preferrably earlier in the day, is the best way to increase your metabolism and keep your body from saying "I'm starving. Feed me!" When your body says that, it natually slows down metabolism in response, anticipating starvation. It's funny how the old school way of thinking was to eat less frequently, not to snack between meals. Now we know better. I wish I was better at following that advice. It's not easy for me.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Hammock Rider

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »

I think part of the problem is a lack of responsibility for one's own health. I know when I was younger I didn't have to really think much about being healthy, I was an active young kid running around at a time when there was a lot less junk food marketed to kids and families. But as an adult, I became less active, my metabolism slowed and it seems junk and fast food is much more available. So now I have to think about it, and sometimes it can be...not fun... to have to make the choices necessary for good health. The thing is, poor health will make its presence felt if you just ignore it.   You may not like it, but it's the truth and I think that most people would rather avoid an unpleasant truth until they are forced to deal with it.

I think when it's all said and done what it comes down to is the fact that everyone is responsible for their own health. Someone said if you don't make time to be healthy, you will have to find time to be sick.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  FAT « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.