Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:35 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  FAT « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: FAT  (Read 16987 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 03:20:08 PM »

Eating healthy is expensive compared to cheap calories like fast food.  With the kids, it's not unusual for us to go to the local produce market and spend $50 on fruits and vegetables that last about a week.  That's in addition to the other costs, like yogurt, eggs, lean meats (and poultry, and fish), and avoiding cheap sugary calories.  We have very little junk food in the house.  Part of the very little is to keep it from becoming forbidden fruit, and something that the kids will feel the need to gorge on later in life since it was denied when they were kids.

As a result, we have three very active kids who absolutely run amok.  We've also been blessed with them being very healthy, so I think that it is working.

Of all things, Katie probably eats the worst out of all of us.  She has a difficult time not going after the junk food snack foods, but has been making attempts at eating more fruit and vegetables in their place.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 03:48:59 AM »

Resurrecting this thread because I recently started an exercise program with the specific idea to lose some of this ridiculous weight I've packed on myself.

So what I did is start keeping track of all the calories I ingest. I also started exercising, mostly biking with a bit of running. Here are my notes.

Dieting is useless in itself. If you're a sedentary sort, your body burns up about 2000 calories a day. So if you want to lose weight, you would have to eat less than that every day. 2000 calories is nothing! It is so easy to eat 2000 calories before you even make it halfway through your day.

Dieting is useless without exercise. You have to exercise to lose weight. So I started exercising again, which was a quick wake-me-up. I was recalling my young self who had a body that could do anything I told it to do. I would take an hour run, and then my body was pretty much useless for exercise for several days. I wanted to run again, but I simply could not do it. It wasn't a matter of mental fortitude, my body could not do it.

But I kept at it, and I am now in a very good place regarding extended exercise. I've recently started going on long bike rides to local mountains which I then hike. 20 mile bike rides punctuated by a hike up a mountain, and I love doing it.

So when I started, I was a 5'8" guy who weighed about 185 pounds. Do you know how much weight I've lost through three solid months of this exercise. About 8 pounds. Now that's better than nothing, and I'm in a good to go sort of athletic shape, but as far as losing weight it is very disappointing.

Burning fat is very difficult. Much harder than I would have expected.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
claws
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 04:13:17 AM »

My once chubby niece lost 33 lbs in three months this summer, thanks to the Dukan Diet.
I'm still impressed.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 07:00:42 AM »

As part of my present duties, I help Marines who want to return to the Corps with this often.

The rule of thumb is that you need a 3500 calorie deficit to burn 1 pound of fat.  That's taking in 500 calories less per day than you use for a week for a pound of loss.  This isn't exact, so for some people the number is lower or higher, and also it matters when you take in your calories.  Count your calories by writing everything you eat and drink down.  The only thing you don't have to keep track of is water.

Taking in a lot of calories shortly before bed means your body has 1 thing to do with them:  store them.  Try to eat a good breakfast, good lunch, sensible dinner that is at least 3 hours prior to bedtime, and nothing but water after dinner.  If you have to snack after dinner, then go for something like fruit.

Allow yourself a luxury once a week though, so you don't feel trapped by the dieting.  You know, something you like that you shouldn't eat or eating at a time you normally wouldn't.

For exercise, the mantra is "no challenge, no change."  You can get your exercise by doing it for a longer period of time (or more reps) or increase the intensity.  You want to do at least 30 minutes of cardio (walk, run, bike, swim, etc.) at least 5 days a week.  Change up your cardio so your body doesn't get too used to it, and push yourself so you feel it.  You also want to do core exercise (check crossfit and P90x) for at least 30 minutes at least 3 days a week.  Get more than just your legs burning calories for you.

I highly recommend these exercises:

Lunges
Squats
Bicycle crunch
Oblique crunch
Pull-ups (or pull-down machine)
Push-ups
Dips
Military press with a dumbbell or barbell.

Actually, there are LOTS of exercises you can do with a set of dumbbells.  Dumbbells and resistance bands will give you a lot of options for working out.  While dumbbells can get expensive if you are not using a gym, resistance bands are cheap.

Katie got serious about exercise and losing weight around the spring.  She lost 17 lbs in 3 months doing cardio 6 days a week and a crossfit style workout 3 days a week.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 11:41:34 AM »

Actually, there are LOTS of exercises you can do with a set of dumbbells.  Dumbbells and resistance bands will give you a lot of options for working out.  While dumbbells can get expensive if you are not using a gym, resistance bands are cheap.

I have to agree with that. Dumbbells are one of the most versatile exercise aids there are. Of course, there are plenty of exercises one can do without ANY aids whatsoever.

I am currently looking for a standalone punching bag. I used to have a punching bag and talk about a great way to burn energy and frustration at the same time. I used to walk away from an intense session with the bag feeling magnificent. My wife and I are both dealing with a good deal of stress lately and I told her "we need to get a punching bag."

I'm telling you, if you want to get some good exercise and get rid of some stress at the same time, get a punching bag.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Hammock Rider

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »

I have to agree with that. Dumbbells are one of the most versatile exercise aids there are. Of course, there are plenty of exercises one can do without ANY aids whatsoever.

I am currently looking for a standalone punching bag. I used to have a punching bag and talk about a great way to burn energy and frustration at the same time. I used to walk away from an intense session with the bag feeling magnificent. My wife and I are both dealing with a good deal of stress lately and I told her "we need to get a punching bag."

I'm telling you, if you want to get some good exercise and get rid of some stress at the same time, get a punching bag.

I hear you FJ and I totally agree. It's amazing how something so simple can do you so much good. What kind pf punching bag do you use.? Right now I drop by a friend's house and work on his heavy bag. I'd like to try a speed bag to some time too. I could never get the hang of it though.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3757881/Worlds-fattest-mum-vows-I-want-to-weigh-one-ton.html

Why!?  Buggedout

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »

I hear you FJ and I totally agree. It's amazing how something so simple can do you so much good. What kind pf punching bag do you use.? Right now I drop by a friend's house and work on his heavy bag. I'd like to try a speed bag to some time too. I could never get the hang of it though.

Oh, I'm in the process of looking for one locally on craigslist. I don't know if I'm going to go for a standalone or a hanging heavy bag.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »

I never thought about that before but its really interesting now that I think of it. How did we go from a society where seeing someone that fat was an oddity to a society where its normal? Its very disturbing and disheartening when you think of it. Oh well when the zombies start eating people all the fat people will die first and then there will be just really slow fat zombies.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »

I have a heavy bag in the basement.  Either need to get a stand for it or else get a plate to mount it to the ceiling.  Prefer the stand, but most of the time you need some weights or sandbags to get decent stability.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »

I used to walk away from an intense session with the bag feeling magnificent.

How did the bag feel?  Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »

Actually, there are LOTS of exercises you can do with a set of dumbbells. 

Absolutely.  I bought the Bowflex Selectech dumbells (90 lbs each, adjustable to lower weights simply by turning dials on the ends of the bars).  When I work out at home rather than the gym, I spend most of my non-cardio time using these dumbbells.  A typical non-cardio workout for me would be about 2/3 dumbbell work, 1/6 Bowflex resistance work, and 1/6 Total Gym work.  Stationary bike and/or treadmill would be in addition to this.  The Selectech weights come with a DVD that has an impressive number of exercises (some using a bench, some with no bench required).   

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »

About 8 pounds. Now that's better than nothing, and I'm in a good to go sort of athletic shape, but as far as losing weight it is very disappointing.

You probably thought about it, but I'd say it's likely you also gained significant amounts of muscle.  Keep it up though - it's worth noting that even maintaining muscles burns calories, much more so than maintaining fat.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2011, 03:51:24 AM »

About 8 pounds. Now that's better than nothing, and I'm in a good to go sort of athletic shape, but as far as losing weight it is very disappointing.

You probably thought about it, but I'd say it's likely you also gained significant amounts of muscle.  Keep it up though - it's worth noting that even maintaining muscles burns calories, much more so than maintaining fat.

Oh I think that's what's happening. I can see the difference, but the numbers on the scale don't decrease. I'm not really focusing on the weight, more on being able be athletic again. Getting back into running was a real wake-me-up. It was stumble and go for a while. Now I'm at a point where I can really enjoy just being able to run, and I really enjoy running.

Here's a trick that has really worked for me. I now keep track of all the calories I take in, but I don't think of it as something like "If I eat this I will have to exercise so much to burn it off." It's rather the opposite point, where if I work out during the day, I earn myself more calories I can eat. I also make it a point to eat after I go on an extended work out. I've pretty much burned off all my body's available energy, and I think it's a good idea to replenish that, just as a day to day thing.

Other than that, I just try to make exercise fun. The main reason I focused on biking is that it is one of the few exercises you can do in Phoenix during the summer. Biking has a built in breeze, and you can do it for miles. Keeping cool in Phoenix is a pretty legitimate concern, and it's not something you can do easily by running. Biking you can do, but it still requires extra steps.

Also, it is a lot of fun. The sensation of speed is a sort of pretty universal fun thing. I bought a stationary bike with idea that I would peddle while watching TV or reading a book. It's a chore, and no fun. But if you are out there in the world it is incredibly fun. I've been going on long bike rides that bring me to the base of a good hiking trail. I ride the bike out, climb a mountain, and ride the bike out. Great way to spend a day off.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  FAT « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.