Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:17:53 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Toxic Avenger remake. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Toxic Avenger remake.  (Read 3970 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« on: April 27, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »

http://www.fearnet.com/news/b18715_finally_hit_puberty_toxic_avenger.html

I didn't see the term 3D used in that article...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »

OK, so they're giving Toxie a budget and a strong message and aiming him at kids. This will not go well.

It's as if these people only took a very superficial look at the character and missed the point entirely. The original Toxic Avenger was a cheap, tasteless, violent, utterly pointless exploitation film with a dark sense of humour. That's why it worked.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »

Remaking the Toxic Avenger is much like trying to remake Bill & Ted, which was rumored for a while but fell through.  Too much a product of a specific time and place to have any point in remaking him.  He just won't be the same character anymore.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »

Wyckednick beat you to it, Doggett:
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,129565.0.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »

Hatred Hatred Hatred

And they want to make it family friendly.  That's the worst part.  It's like Disney and Pixar doing a remake of Showgirls.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »

Darn.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:36:32 PM »

Hatred Hatred Hatred

And they want to make it family friendly.  That's the worst part.  It's like Disney and Pixar doing a remake of Showgirls.

Well, they say he's going to be a green superhero.  He COULD be a green superhero who rips the arms off villainous polluters. 

....but I doubt it.  :(
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »

I'm not much of a fan of the original, so this doesn't bother me.

In fact, with this remake I think Hollywood is actually doing two things it should do in a remake:

1. Reamke something that was promising/interesting but flawed, rather than a masterpiece, and/or;

2. Put a dramatically different spin on the material.

It won't appeal to fans of the original, but they will go anyway knowing it's going to suck.  So why not make it kid friendly and try to bring in a whole new audience?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 03:45:53 AM »

So why not make it kid friendly

Well, I'm attempted to say it's a betrayal of the character, akin to making Travis Bickle kid-friendly, but they pretty much ALREADY betrayed the character with the Toxic Crusaders, so hey, whatever.   TongueOut
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »

Eh, I'm most likely not going to watch it.  It's just going to be a pain in the ass to explain to some folks that Toxie wasn't a kid movie to start, but a gory, subversive schlock film. 
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »

OK, so they're giving Toxie a budget and a strong message and aiming him at kids. This will not go well.

It's as if these people only took a very superficial look at the character and missed the point entirely. The original Toxic Avenger was a cheap, tasteless, violent, utterly pointless exploitation film with a dark sense of humour. That's why it worked.

After viewing the trailer for Human Centipede, I'm going to have to take back what I said about Toxic Avenger. I see it doesn't come close to being a tasteless, violent, utterly pointless exploitation flick. But it was still good because it leaned in that direction, rather than being a straight superhero story. Let's call it a dark comedy.

Point is, if they're going to make it environmentally conscious and kid friendly, they might as well just come up with an original character. The Toxic Avenger means nothing to the target audience, and those who do know the character probably won't like what they're doing with him. They are basically creating a new character anyway, and they will probably change his look. Just give him a different name and be done with it. Everybody's happy.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »

Well, I'm attempted to say it's a betrayal of the character, akin to making Travis Bickle kid-friendly, but they pretty much ALREADY betrayed the character with the Toxic Crusaders, so hey, whatever.   TongueOut

Betrayal of the character?  You mean to say they owe a fictional character loyalty?  Wink

The only people it betrays are fans of the original who insist the character should never change.  I'm sure Batman fans were originally outraged by the campy Adam West Batman, but those feelings fade over time.  Heck, Adam West is my favorite Batman portrayal, despite the fact that the character was never meant to be portrayed what way!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 02:52:50 AM »

Betrayal of the character?  You mean to say they owe a fictional character loyalty?  Wink

The only people it betrays are fans of the original who insist the character should never change.  I'm sure Batman fans were originally outraged by the campy Adam West Batman, but those feelings fade over time.  Heck, Adam West is my favorite Batman portrayal, despite the fact that the character was never meant to be portrayed what way!

It's a betrayal of the character concept.  Not of any people.  But, this is a Troma character we're talking about, so it's not that big of a deal, really.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Toxic Avenger remake. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.