Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:43:07 PM
714348 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ebert on Hollywood « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ebert on Hollywood  (Read 5049 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »

I personally would count PRINCE OF PERSIA, JOHN CARTER and THE MUPPETS as franchise films, because they are based off existing properties with existing fan bases, not new ideas.

Extrapolating off that, you'd agree Hollywood has mostly been producing franchise films for the past 80 years, right?  As one example, the year the Godfather won Best Picture (1973 Academy awards), ALL of the nominees for Best Picture are based on novels.  That's certainly an existing property with existing fan bases.  I'm not aware of an actual statistical analysis, but I think a large majority of Hollywood films have always been franchise films based off that definition. 

You make a good point there. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »

All the reasons you give Rev. Powell are plausible reasons for what Ebert said, but I just noted something after I posted my reponse to your post. What he is saying, in so many words, is that franchise films, 3-D event movies, and comic hero stories cannot have plausible characters. Now, of course, many of us know that is wrong. So, can we trust his opinion when it comes to these type of films?

You make a good point as well.  However, I think it's safe to say that these types films are less likely to have well-developed, original characters rather than just stock characters.  I think his point is that all those types of movies tend to play it safe and conservative and not take chances or explore uncomfortable realities.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »

I think his point is that all those types of movies tend to play it safe and conservative and not take chances or explore uncomfortable realities.

That's what David Lynch does.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 03:14:57 AM »

Eh, I'm kind of a two-face when it comes to Hollywood.  I do bash their lack of wit, but at the same time I watch Hollywood movies.  I'm equal opportunity to film.  Just because it's Hollywood doesn't mean I'll avoid it.  Although I have been staying clear of remakes lately....

That being said, I carry the opinion on watching movies that I also carry with books, video games, and music.  Don't watch because you feel you have to, or because some pretentious ass tells you it's an important film, or because everyone else is.  Watch what appeals to you.  A guy I knew who used to work in showbiz (worked with Patty Duke, no less) once said this to me.  I pondered it then, and agree with it now. 
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ebert on Hollywood « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.