Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:34 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Judge Dredd « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Judge Dredd  (Read 953 times)
Tappo
New Visitor

« on: May 04, 2010, 09:01:28 AM »

Unless I've missed something, why isn't the 1995 Judge Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone showing up anywhere here? A true shocker of a film; Rob Schneider being obnoxious simply by drawing breath, Max Von looking a heartbeat away from a life support system and Stallone "acting" his way around a stroke and screaming out "I AM THE LAW!!" every 5 minutes. And don't get me started on the villain, a truly appalling actor.
What's the GO?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »

screaming out "I AM THE LAW!!" every 5 minutes.

You've never read the comic have you ?

It's a bit like complaining that The Incredible Hulk is Green.

Dredd has many flaws but that ain't one of them. I actually quiet like the film. The comic is a satire which is why Dredd, as a character, is so over the top. The problem of doing a satirical action film was a bit too much for the films writers and the whole picture ended up a bit of a mess.
I think the film is also missing about 20 mins of footage which is never likely to be put back in.

Still, I can sit back and enjoy the cheesy OTT-ness of it all.

I think this is a case of film studios buying the rights to a comic without really understanding the character and then trying to adapt it to a wider audience.

Oh, I think he only says "I AM THE LAW" twice.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:19:09 AM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »

As a longtime reader of Judge Dredd, I was very excited to see this film when it came out as I had been following it's progress. I had some gripes about Stalllone, but he had even said in print that he was willing to do the entire film with the helmet on if need be to keep the integrity of the character, but the studio nixed that. I think as much of a mess as it turned out the film has some pretty good effects going for it. Sure it might look green screened now, but at least it is actual actors on physical props and not a whole lot of CGI. The 1st view of Mega City 1 is quite good, and the Mean Machine is one of the best full body make-up jobs in recent memory up until the orcs of LOTR. The ABC Robot (from another 2000 AD strip) was a nice touch thrown in for fans.

My biggest problem with the film is Rob Schneider... the token comic side-kick was a bad idea even for as bleak a satire as Dredd is. Plus his character Fergie from the comics, is not even remotely like him. He's Jar Jar before Jar Jar.

Armand Assante as Rico, Joe Dredd's brother of course hams it up as the villain, and is one reason I think the film is fun. There are many more compelling villains in the Dredd universe than Rico though, Judge Death and the Dark Judges being a no-brainer.

Despite all this I think the film has enough of the Dredd universe to be a pretty decent adaption, but like Doggett mentioned the studio probably didn't quite understand the character of Dredd so compromises were made to bring it to a wider audience who stayed away in any case.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Starsky
Bad Movie Lover

you play a good game, boy!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »

Small | Large

Epic movie, my favorite Stallone right next to the Rocky and Rambo series.

HE IS THE LAW!  BounceGiggle
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Judge Dredd « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.