Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:45:08 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Recipe Swapping « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recipe Swapping  (Read 3234 times)
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 07, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »

We're a pretty diverse group of people here, but I'm willing to bet that everyone here likes food at least a little bit. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here that likes to bake/cook, either, so why don't we share some of our favourite recipes?

I'ma start with one my favourite snacks, hands down: Chocolate Popcorn.

From start to finish, it only takes about 5-10 minutes (although it's a very good idea to clean up right after; otherwise the chocolate hardens and becomes harder to clean off).

Ingredients:
1 bag of light-butter flavoured or plain microwaved popcorn, popped

1/2 cup sugar

2 Tbsp water

1 tsp butter or margarine

2 Tbsp cocoa

How to make it:

1. Place the popcorn in a large bowl. You can spray the bowl first with non-stick spray to help keep it from sticking.

2. Combine sugar, water and butter/margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, swirling pan occassionally but not stirring, until the sugar is a golden brown. Stir in the cocoa, then quickly pour over the popcorn and stire/toss to get a roughly even coat. Tongs are your friends for this.

3. Cool and eat. This won't take long; it only takes about 30 seconds to cool enough to be eaten and a couple of minutes to harden. Again, clean your saucepan and stirring utensil immediately to make the job much easier.
claws
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »

Sounds good.
Here is a food/recipe thread I started with my old nick. You might find something yummy there too :)

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,128627.0.html
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »

Crock Pot Chile Verde

This is so very simple, and the basic dish can be expanded or turned into other things, like Carnitas, which I will touch on at the end. It is only mildly spicy. The addition of some spicier chiles or red pepper flakes will help satisfy those that want some more kick.

Ingredients:
  3 lb. (give or take) pork shoulder/butt roast
  Canned or jarred salsa verde, just enough to cover the roast after all other ingredients are added
  1 onion, finely chopped
  1 4oz. can of mild green chiles, diced
  2 tsp. ground cumin
  1 tsp. oregano

Trim off any excess fat from the roast and place in the crock pot. You may elect to saute the onions a bit in a little olive oil, but it's not necessary (I usually do). Place all ingredients except for salsa verde. Add enough salsa verde to just barely cover the roast, otherwise the end dish may end up too soupy. Cover and simmer on low setting for at least 6 hours, but there's no crime in letting it go all day while you're at work. Remove the roast (which will be falling apart at this point), shred the meat, and return to the pot. Dish up and serve with your favorite extras. You can pour over mexican rice, add pinto beans, top with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc., serve with tortillas, really very versatile.

You can turn this into some killer carnitas. Remove the meat and lay out in an oven dish of some kind. Drizzle with some olive oil. Ladle a little bit of the leftover liquid/sauce from the pot, but don't douse it. Maybe even add some additional seasoning, like some season salt, garlic powder, etc. Bake at about 375 for 20-30 minutes. You want the meat to be tender, yet a little crispy on the top as well. This is good stuff. Great in tacos or burritos, or just by itself topped with a little sour cream and cheese and served with some beans.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:03:34 PM by Flick James » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »

Crock Pot Chile Verde

This is so very simple, and the basic dish can be expanded or turned into other things, like Carnitas, which I will touch on at the end. It is only mildly spicy. The addition of some spicier chiles or red pepper flakes will help satisfy those that want some more kick.

Ingredients:
  3 lb. (give or take) pork shoulder/butt roast
  Canned or jarred salsa verde, just enough to cover the roast after all other ingredients are added
  1 onion, finely chopped
  1 4oz. can of mild green chiles, diced
  2 tsp. ground cumin
  1 tsp. oregano

Trim off any excess fat from the roast and place in the crock pot. You may elect to saute the onions a bit in a little olive oil, but it's not necessary (I usually do). Place all ingredients except for salsa verde. Add enough salsa verde to just barely cover the roast, otherwise the end dish may end up too soupy. Cover and simmer on low setting for at least 6 hours, but there's no crime in letting it go all day while you're at work. Remove the roast (which will be falling apart at this point), shred the meat, and return to the pot. Dish up and serve with your favorite extras. You can pour over mexican rice, add pinto beans, top with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc., serve with tortillas, really very versatile.

You can turn this into some killer carnitas. Remove the meat and lay out in an oven dish of some kind. Drizzle with some olive oil. Ladle a little bit of the leftover liquid/sauce from the pot, but don't douse it. Maybe even add some additional seasoning, like some season salt, garlic powder, etc. Bake at about 375 for 20-30 minutes. You want the meat to be tender, yet a little crispy on the top as well. This is good stuff. Great in tacos or burritos, or just by itself topped with a little sour cream and cheese and served with some beans.

I've never made anything in a crock pot, but now I know what to start with!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »

DarkSider Salsa

4 or 5 Full Sized Celebrity Tomatoes (more or less depending on how much you want)
1 small onion
Hot Pepper
Salt
10 Yellow Pear Tomatoes

Chop (DO NOT BLEND OR PROCESS!!!) the tomatoes up on a cutting board.  Once the tomatoes are to your liking, put them into a strainer to drain.  Chop up the onion and add to strained tomatoes.  Slowly add salt/hot pepper and stop to taste frequently to avoid oversalting/heating. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:37 AM »

This is the lasanga recipe that I use when I make it.

meQal's Lasagna

2 Boxes Lasagna Noodles
1 lb. Ricotta Cheese
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 lb. Bulk Italian Sausage Meat
1 Large Pack Of Pepperoni
3 Bags 6 Italian Cheese Blend Cheese
2 Jars Of Pasta Sauce
1 Clove Of Garlic
Italian Spices Mix
Very Large Baking Pan
Salt To Taste

Brown Ground Beef And Bulk Italian Sausage Then Drain Off Excess Fat
Crisp Pepperoni In Frying Pan And Drain On Paper Towel
Blend Italian Spices Mix With Ricotta Cheese
Boil Lasagna Noodles
In A Very Large Pan Layer Pepperoni The Combination Of
Ground Beef And Italian Sausage And Pour Sauce Over It
Then A Layer Of Lasagna Noodles
Spread A Layer Of Ricotta Cheese Then Add Another Layer of Noodles
Cover Second Layer Of Noodles With 6 Cheese Blend
Repeat Until Almost To Top Of Pan Making Sure Last Layer Is Noodles
And 6 Cheese Blend
Place In An Oven Preheated To 375 Degrees And Bake For 1 Hour
Remove From Oven And Let Cool For 10 Minutes Then Slice Into Squares
Serves 10 - 14

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:33:11 AM »

We made some jalapeño poppers the other day using this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/best-ever-jalapeno-poppers/Detail.aspx

Absolutely scrumptuous!  I wouldn't recommend eating more than about 6 at a time though, otherwise you'll start setting things on fire when you exhale.  Oh, and wash your hands thoroughly two or three times after you've taken the seeds out of the peppers.  They start feeling pretty warm a half hour later if you don't.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:52:34 AM »

These are my famous pancakes:

Dry ingredients
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
3 ½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash of allspice
¼ cup of very finely chopped (meal consistency) almonds

Moist ingredients
1 egg
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
Milk

Mix dry ingredients and set aside.  Combine egg, vanilla and almond extracts, and oil in a 2 cup measuring cup.  Fill the rest of the way with milk.  Mix dry and moist ingredients.  Griddle up!  Remember:  keep your heat low to keep from burning the pancakes.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:09 PM »

I just tried this recipe out for the first time. I think it's a keeper!

It's not a particulary spicy dish, but it does leave your mouth a little warm. The lime definitely wins out over the jalapeno, so the butter tastes a little sour and sweet.

Barbecue Corn with Jalapeno LIme Butter

Ingredients:

Ears of corn (however many you'll need to feed everyone for dinner, or just enough for a side to a main course)

Jalapeno lime butter (see below)

lime wedges

sea salt to taste

Butter Ingredients

1 cup (250 mL) unsalted softened butter or margarine

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped

zest or juice from 1 lime

1 clove garlic, minced or pressed

1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt (I'd personally stick to sea salt for this one; it has a distinctive flavour that table salt just can't hope to replicate)

Corn

Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Peel back the corn husks, leaving them attached, and remove the silk from the corn. Rewrap, tying with butcher twine or kitchen string of necessary. Barbecue for about 10 minutes, turning to cook all sides. If husks start to burn, spritz with water.

Jalapeno Lime Butter

Mix the ingredients together in a bowl or a food processor. Wrap in plastic and shape into a cylinder about an inch (2.5 cm) in diameter, and refrigerate.

I've still got some of that butter left over, so I'm going to experiment a little over the next little while to see what else tastes good with.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 04:16:40 AM »

I got another one which I make often that I call The Mess. Basically it's a messed up type of scrambled eggs.
All you do is take 3-4 eggs and beat them. Then you toss in whatever meat, and veggies you happen to find into a pan on medium heat. You let them cook for a few minutes while covered then add cheese of your choice. Recover the pan and let the cheese melt a little bit then add the eggs. Scramble it all and add a little hot sauce to it.

Personally, I like to use ham, chicken, corn beef, bacon, green onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, and American cheese in it then add some Texas Pete or a locally made hot sauce called Sweet Thang to it. Depends on if I was a sweet kick to the hot sauce.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
316zombie
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »

bear's black bean and corn relish

half a pound of frozen corn,thawed
2 soupsize cans of unseasoned black beans,drained and rinsed
4 large tomatoes,diced small
1 small red onion,diced small
2 small green peppers,diced small
2 small sweet red or yellow peppers,diced small
2 cups of extra chunky salsa,MILD
one teaspooon EACH=
black pepper
whitepepper
cumin
cayenne
garlic powder
tablesalt

mix it all together and chill it overnight to meld the flavors. i use this on my texmex chicken wraps at work,as a dip with tortilla chips,as a side salad,and you can also add some cooked chicken or ground beef and heat it up,serve it a soup,as well!
ADDICTION ALERT!
the last time i made this at work,i left it on the counter and the 4 maintenance guys are the whole bowl!lol!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »

Bull's Insano Queso
WARNING: THIS IS VERY HOT AND SPICY

INGREDIENTS:

1 lbs. VELVETA CUBED CHEESE
2 Green onions, finely chopped
3 ghost pepper, finely chopped
3 Habeneros, finely chopped.

melt cheese, cut up the green onions, peppers, and mix.

I made this by accident when my friend bet $100 that he could eat anything spicy! well, his body hates him now. Wink

yeah no.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:34:12 PM »

Bull's Insano Queso

INGREDIENTS:

I made this by accident when my friend bet $100 that he could eat anything spicy! well, his body hates him now. Wink

Habaneros are like liquid fire, and they stay on your hand for days after handling them. I used to be able to handle it, but I just can't anymore.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »

Bull's Insano Queso

INGREDIENTS:

Habaneros are like liquid fire, and they stay on your hand for days after handling them.

If that's the case, then Ghost peppers are solid LAVA.

yeah no.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »

Yikes...I just watched a video of a guy eating one of those. The fact that he was down and crying a little bit an hour later from just a little piece of that sucker really just confirms the fact that the hot flavour of many peppers is, in fact, a defense mechanism against mammals. I would say that this makes me believe that we're a friggin' crazy species, but what with the trend of selling sour and bitter foods as snacks when those flavours in the wild tend to mean "poison," well...I came to that conclusion quite some time ago.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Recipe Swapping « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.