Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:34:51 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  FRANK FRAZETTA PASSES AWAY AT 82 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FRANK FRAZETTA PASSES AWAY AT 82  (Read 4420 times)
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« on: May 10, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »

This is truly a sad day for the art world, Frank Frazetta iconic fantasy artist known for his Conan and Tarzan covers has died at the age of 82 from a stroke apparently.

He will be greatly missed

RIP Frank

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ieBUPyNVCRUPTme2UyTGr9_5pNuQD9FK76E00

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/frank-frazetta-fantasy-illustrator-dies-at-82/

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »

He's been in poor health for quite a while - probably the reason behind his kid's recently fighting over his artwork.  A great artist for a variety of things.  Very influential on some modern artists.  He'll be missed.

Even though most probably think of Deathdealer, or his Conan covers, I always think of his work on the quite enjoyable film Fire And Ice.

edit to add: reading up on Fire And Ice makes me sad about a couple of things.  Fire And Ice was a quite well made and enjoyable theatrical 2D animated film (using rotoscoping, which cuts down on costs a good deal).  Considering the quality of animation and other stuff for it's low budget (less than $3,000,000 in todays dollars) is pretty interesting.  Nothing comparable is being made now for theatrical releases.  We still get some good stuff STDVD though - the DC animated movies have similar budgets.  But, to me at least, they don't have the same level of artistry as films like Fire And Ice, or other Bakshi productions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:53:52 PM by Jim H » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »

I loved his artwork!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:42:26 PM »

Sleep well, Frank.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »

R.I.P. Frank Frazetta.  Bluesad Find it hard to even think of Tarzan, Conan or John Carter without thinking of his work. Love FIRE AND ICE (1983) too. His work was a fantasy treasure trove for so many young dreamers, especially those of us who dreamed of being musclebound heroes rescuing damsels in distress from hideous monstrosities.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pilgermann

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:37:37 AM »

Sad to read of his passing.  His artwork is incredible!

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »

RIP to a man who created a whole universe of fantastic art.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

RIP to a great artist.

His covers, and occasional story artwork, for the various Warren mags (Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella) were always a bonus for me.

This site has some great examples of his artwork - including a bunch of 60s and 70s era movie posters done very much in a style reminiscent of the great MAD artist Mort Drucker.

http://www.americanartarchives.com/frazetta.htm

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »

Yes I had almost forgotten Frazetta's work for film posters in the 1960s. These were mostly water colors, and had that Mad, Mad World look to them with characters chasing one another. Of note is the one he did for Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.

One of his more recent movie posters was the unused one for From Dusk Til Dawn that ended up on a graphic novel or something.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »

Well, Frank Frazetta certainly had a distinctive style when it came to his artwork. You saw one of his, and you just knew it was a Frazetta. Yeah, I liked "Ice Age," too. You just wish he and Ralph Bakshi had worked together on another film, as "Ice Age" seems to be Frazetta's only feature film.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  FRANK FRAZETTA PASSES AWAY AT 82 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.