Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:33:13 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  13-year-old scales Mount Everest « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 13-year-old scales Mount Everest  (Read 4787 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: May 22, 2010, 05:45:33 AM »

13-year-old scales Mount Everest
Last Updated: Saturday, May 22, 2010 | 12:36 AM ET The Associated Press

A 13-year-old American has become the youngest climber to reach the top of Mount Everest.

A spokesman for Jordan Romero says the teen's team called him by satellite phone from the summit of the world's highest mountain 8,850 metres above sea level.

"Their dreams have now come true. Everyone sounded unbelievably happy," a new statement on Romero's blog said Saturday morning.

The teenager with long curly hair — who climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa when he was 10 years old — says he was inspired by a painting in his school of the seven continents' highest summits.

"Every step I take is finally toward the biggest goal of my life, to stand on top of the world," Romero said on his blog earlier.

The previous record for the youngest climber to scale Everest was held by Temba Tsheri of Nepal. He reached the peak at age 16.

"I'm just very proud of him," Romero's mother Leigh Anne Drake told The Associated Press by telephone just before he reached the peak, as she watched his progress on a live GPS tracker online.

When asked what she would say to him once he reached the summit, she started crying. "I can't really say that. It's just emotional."

The teenager, from Big Bear, Calif., was climbing Everest with his father, his father's girlfriend and three Sherpa guides. He left for the peak from the base camp on the Chinese side.

Everest was Romero's first challenge above 8,000 metres.

Unlike neighbouring Nepal, the other approach to Everest, China has no age limit for climbers. Romero registered with Chinese officials in April, said Zhang Mingxing of the China Tibet Mountaineering Association.

No interview with the young record-holder would be possible until he returns to advance base camp, which could take several days, said Rob Bailey, the U.S.-based spokesman for the climbing team.

Climbers stay overnight at three or four camps before the summit, depending on their route and pace.

Romero was carrying a number of lucky charms, including a pair of kangaroo testicles given to him by a friend who has cancer.

"That's the one that probably meant the most. I know it might sound odd," Bailey said.

Am I the only one feeling old?  TongueOut

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:03:08 AM »

I am feeling a bit old too.  Buggedout

What does bother me about this ascent (congratulations to the young man) are those kangaroo testicles he carried with him on his ascent. Somewhere in Australia, there is a poor old kangaroo whimpering in pain.  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:14:55 AM »

There's a conversation-stopping phrase for you: kangaroo eunuchs - or is it eunuch kangaroos?  (Sounds like something from the 'neverending story' thread  Wink )

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »

There's a conversation-stopping phrase for you: kangaroo eunuchs - or is it eunuch kangaroos?  (Sounds like something from the 'neverending story' thread  Wink )

TeddyR TeddyR

I've got Rolf Harris singing Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport in my head now. I guess they would have to tie it down to cut off.........no, I can't continue.  Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »

Romero was carrying a number of lucky charms, including a pair of kangaroo testicles given to him by a friend who has cancer.

Jeez, wasn't too lucky for the kangaroo   TeddyR
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:13:05 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »

Sad in so many ways:

There's a kangaroo out there walking funny for life and a person who has reached his peak at a such very young age. Can you imagine being 13 and knowing it is all downhill from there?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:19:27 PM by Newt » Logged

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »

I wonder if we can expect this prodigy to go to new heights?

Sorry. Had to say it.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »

I wonder if we can expect this prodigy to go to new heights?

Sorry. Had to say it.
I really wish you could have risen above such awful puns Newt.

Btw, I've heard somewhere once theres dead bodies frozen in time on Everest from many people who previously tried the hike.  Is that true?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »

Actually let me answer my own question...
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/dead-everest1.htm

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
joejoeherron
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »

a 13 year old kid climbs mt. everest,

and I can't talk myself into climbing a ladder to clean out the gutters.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  13-year-old scales Mount Everest « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.