Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:01:56 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Saw JEFFERSON STARSHIP and met PAUL KANTNER!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Saw JEFFERSON STARSHIP and met PAUL KANTNER!!  (Read 4298 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: May 22, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »

Okay, so it's a PAUL KANTNER backing band, as PAUL KANTNER is the only JEFFERSON AIRPLANE... and I think JEFFERSON STARSHIP... original member apparent in this incarnation.  Nonetheless, they have worked hard to recreate the AIRPLANE sound, also with STARSHIP material, of which there was less.  This was at The Old Mill Inn in Spring Lake, NJ, in their ballroom!  Not a very big venue.  Just like the old days, 'cept this crowd probably all went deef this time, at their advanced ages.   Smile  I'm actually too young to have enjoyed JEFFERSON WHEELCHAIR their first time out - 44 years ago!!!  I did see JEFFERSON STARSHIP at South Mountain Reservation in Essex county, New Jersey 30 years ago...  Twirling  Nonetheless, I had my fingers in my ears thru half the show (but not the parts I loved...)

Thursday, there were 8 of us, lucky enough to get the table far right by the wall first row stage front... best seats in the house (for a Hard Rock show with exeunt stage left as necessary!)  I don't think the venue was filled (with dinner, well over 100 bux).  Considering GRACE SLICK really doesn't sing with JEFFERSON WHATEVER anymore, strangely much of the program was AIRPLANE era SLICK written material (all sh!t I love like "Eskimo Blue Day" and "Lather") KANTNER was smart enough to play those hits they had had that I'm frankly sick of (I did like MARTY BALIN's compositions for STARSHIP)... KANTNER was savvy, too, to play his own "The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil"

BTW: After lawsuits and per legal agreement, if it's name is JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, GRACE SLICK must be a participant; if it's name is JEFFERSON STARSHIP, it's PAUL KANTNER who must participate.  
Footnote: PAUL KANTNER is the only artist who appears on every single recording by JEFFERSON AIRPLANE or JEFFERSON STARSHIP.  The last actual incarnation of this band was simply STARSHIP - when KANTNER's suit prevented use of the JEFFERSON part.  STARSHIP's first album without KANTNER was Knee Deep In The Hoopla with 3 top 40 hits, including two (count 'em) 2 #1 records, I'm pretty sure it was more successful than any record by any JEFFERSON incarnation.  It's also noteworthy that that album and it's biggest hit "We Built This City"  (Lookingup) routinely top "Worst of all time" lists.  

One of my oldest and dearest friends lost her cellphone so we went back to The Old Mill to retrieve it; she had it within 90 seconds, and luckily the band was just then coming out.  I payed a bit of homage to PAUL KANTNER which he laughed off... a few minutes later we met in the parking lot, and I just had to ask to shake his hand.   Smile  Thumbup
And another friend with us made up the name JEFFERSON WHEELCHAIR, the band really doesn't call themselves that.  Yet.

You believe me, don't you?  Wink

I'm listening to Bless Its Pointed Little Head... now Volunteers...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:42:36 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »

Oh how I envy you sir. Did they play "Miracles" or "Jane" by any chance?  TeddyR

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »

Oh how I envy you sir. Did they play "Miracles" or "Jane" by any chance?  TeddyR
Surprised to find you here... yes, they played both "Miracles" (which requires MARTY BALIN for me) and "Jane" which is just a greater Rocker! 

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »

Surprised to find you here... yes, they played both "Miracles" (which requires MARTY BALIN for me) and "Jane" which is just a greater Rocker! 

Haha, the "Starship" incarnation of the Jefferson bands is a guilty pleasure of mine. I do like a lot of Airplane stuff, but I own Starship stuff mainly and dig it out from time to time. "Freedom At Point Zero" is my favourite album along with "No Protection". I also feel that Kantner is really underrated as a player.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »

Haha, the "Starship" incarnation of the Jefferson bands is a guilty pleasure of mine. I do like a lot of Airplane stuff, but I own Starship stuff mainly and dig it out from time to time. "Freedom At Point Zero" is my favourite album along with "No Protection". I also feel that Kantner is really underrated as a player.
The only problem is that "STARSHIP," specifically, is a name for the last incarnation of the band before KANTNER revived JEFFERSON STARSHIP in the 1990s. 

Small | Large

Lookingup

And, yeh, KANTNER, who of course was not a participant in the above, is an underrated player. 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »

But you know all that you '80s freak... Guilty pleasure is right:
Small | Large

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »

"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" always reminds me of the time I watched Mannequin with my ex fiancee, we ordered a huge sea food pizza and later she insisted on shaving my testicles...

Godd times...  Wink

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:31:09 AM »

We ordered a huge sea food pizza and later she insisted on shaving my testicles...

Buggedout Buggedout BuggedoutTeddyR TeddyR TeddyRBounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »

The Worst of JEFFERSON AIRPLANE   

Bluesad

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Saw JEFFERSON STARSHIP and met PAUL KANTNER!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.