Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:15:58 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Graduation « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Graduation  (Read 2077 times)
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« on: May 23, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »

Well, I'm graduating from High School on June 4th, 2010.  I feel nervous, happily excited, regretful, and sad all at once.

It's got me thinking about all I've done and have not done during my time in high school.
I wish I had done more, but I've actually done great.

I consistently receive straight A grades with an occasional B and 1 or 2 C grades.  I'm active in various school organizations. I get along with everybody. I'm even 1 of 3 senior class officers: secretary (meaning I take notes at senior class meetings that nobody ever needs or reads), but I still feel like I could have done more. However, this is a situation where it's more practical to ignore those needless regrets and have a grand time.

What thoughts/feelings do the rest of you have on graduating or school in general? It does not have to be high school. Any memories?

By the way, as a senior class officer I will be giving a speech at graduation. It will have a main theme of avoiding complacency in your life after high school. I have talked to large crowds before, but I still feel very awkward doing so. I will do just fine, but does anybody have advice to make it go smoother?

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »

hi
 we all have regrets in life but one of my main ones is that i underachieved at school.  you on the other hand have done brilliant. straight  A,s grades 1or 2  wow!!!! i salute you. you sound like a really motivated person who has a straight lined vision of what you hope to acheive in your chosen career. took me a long time to figure out what i wanted to do , i had to go to university to get my grades i was s**t scared,.. i did it though and one of my proudest moments was doing a lecture on epilepsy in front of 60 people.  what i did was kind of focus on a few faces instead of concentrating on the whole crowd, worked for me!  whatever you do you should be proud of what you have already done, good luck with your speach and good luck with your chosen path.
  thumbs up!!! 
macabre..

GEEZ! I NEVER REALISED A BRAIN WEIGHED SO MUCH.
WHY HAVE YOU GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HAND? I HAVEN'T IT'S IN YOUR CHEST.
A MARATHON! MY WIFE COULDN'T RUN A BATH WITHOUT FEELING TIRED.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 03:13:52 PM »

You've peaked - it's all down hill from here. Now being a responsible adult kicks in.

3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »

Congrats on graduating.   Cheers

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »

Congratulations!  Thumbup

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 05:19:57 PM »

Congrats, Sleepyskull.  All the best to you.  The world is waiting!   Smile Smile Smile

Hold onto your dreams ....
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »

Taking care of yourself in the adult world is tough, but if you're strong-willed (and it sounds like you are) you can do it!  I hated school with a passion but once I got to work and saved up money I was pretty self-sufficient and satisfied.  Prepare to work your butt off for ten to twenty years, and save up money whenever you can.  Good luck Skull!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »

Congratulations Sleepyskull!  If you're going on to college, those will probably be the best years of your life... if you're not, well, I can't say for sure but I suspect they will still end up being the best years of your life.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:17:28 AM »

Congratulations!

As for the speech:  practice.  If you want to write down the whole speech and read, that's fine - however I like to write bullets and go from there.  Make sure you are looking up at the audience and keep your pace steady.  People who are nervous about public speaking tend to talk fast and they tend to make nervous laughs.

A good starting format for a speech is:

Introduce yourself
Introduce what you will talk about
Transition
Talking points (maybe 3 bullets for your topic)
Transition
Closing

For a short 5-10 minute speech you should be comfortable without practicing for hours.

Good luck!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Cthulhu

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 10:08:06 AM »

Hey, happy graduation, Sleepy!
Vik
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »

Thumbup Good job
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 01:01:33 AM »

Congratulations! If I may, I'd like to offer you some advice that will help you out for the rest of your life.

1. Learn to cook. When you move out, you're going to have to feed yourself and you'll learn very quickly that eating out all the time is expensive and wreaks havoc on your body. Besides, us ladies definitely appreciate when a guy can cook us a nice meal once in a while.

2. Learn to do your own laundry. Again, when you move out no one's going to do it for you.

3. Keep your living space presentable. You might be just fine with living in a pigsty, but if you have company over, especially new friends, they're gonna notice the mess. Especially your bathroom. For the love of gods, keep your bathroom tidy because your guests are going to use it!

4. While it's certainly important to make time for work, it's important to make time for fun, too. Finding a good balance is the key.

Don't sweat feeling like you haven't accomplished much. You're really only just starting your life, after all. I mean, you've got literally decades in which to accomplish far greater things than you ever could in high school.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »

Ah!  Congradulations on graduating high school!  I, myself, will be graduating on Friday.  It has been a good run in high school.  Nominated for Homecoming and Prom King, taking 2 girls to a Christmas dance, knocking a slushy out of someone's hand and leaving a stain on the lunchroom ceiling, and more.  It has been a heck of a high school career.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 01:12:01 PM »

Thank you for all the advice and good wishes, everybody!

Taking care of yourself in the adult world is tough, but if you're strong-willed (and it sounds like you are) you can do it!  I hated school with a passion but once I got to work and saved up money I was pretty self-sufficient and satisfied.  Prepare to work your butt off for ten to twenty years, and save up money whenever you can.  Good luck Skull!

I was pretty lucky as I loved school! For the most part it was like a second home.

Congratulations Sleepyskull!  If you're going on to college, those will probably be the best years of your life... if you're not, well, I can't say for sure but I suspect they will still end up being the best years of your life.

I am definitely going to college! I'm not sure what I will do with my life, but that is okay. I have some vague ideas. I would definitely like to do some volunteering, for fun, to make some connections, and because it looks good on resumes and applications. I'm also currently trying to get a job. I'm not picky and am eager to work. I know a lot of people my age who act like jerks and pointlessly complain about things like work, but I want to (and I need money) work. I don't care if it's a minor job like a convenience store worker, because I am not going to do that for my entire life.

Congratulations!

As for the speech:  practice.  If you want to write down the whole speech and read, that's fine - however I like to write bullets and go from there.  Make sure you are looking up at the audience and keep your pace steady.  People who are nervous about public speaking tend to talk fast and they tend to make nervous laughs.

A good starting format for a speech is:

Introduce yourself
Introduce what you will talk about
Transition
Talking points (maybe 3 bullets for your topic)
Transition
Closing

For a short 5-10 minute speech you should be comfortable without practicing for hours.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the advice! I have written my speech and it has been approved. Most of your advice does not apply, because my speech is only 1 page long. It was required to be very brief. I will keep it in mind for the future though!

Congratulations! If I may, I'd like to offer you some advice that will help you out for the rest of your life.

1. Learn to cook. When you move out, you're going to have to feed yourself and you'll learn very quickly that eating out all the time is expensive and wreaks havoc on your body. Besides, us ladies definitely appreciate when a guy can cook us a nice meal once in a while.

2. Learn to do your own laundry. Again, when you move out no one's going to do it for you.

3. Keep your living space presentable. You might be just fine with living in a pigsty, but if you have company over, especially new friends, they're gonna notice the mess. Especially your bathroom. For the love of gods, keep your bathroom tidy because your guests are going to use it!

4. While it's certainly important to make time for work, it's important to make time for fun, too. Finding a good balance is the key.

Don't sweat feeling like you haven't accomplished much. You're really only just starting your life, after all. I mean, you've got literally decades in which to accomplish far greater things than you ever could in high school.

Those are all very important things to keep in mind! I'm pretty good at cooking, I know how to do laundry, but I need to practice, and when I focus I am very good at keeping things clean, organized, and presentable. I will be at home for a few more years so I have time to get ready.

Ah!  Congradulations on graduating high school!  I, myself, will be graduating on Friday.  It has been a good run in high school.  Nominated for Homecoming and Prom King, taking 2 girls to a Christmas dance, knocking a slushy out of someone's hand and leaving a stain on the lunchroom ceiling, and more.  It has been a heck of a high school career.

Congratulations and best of luck!

You've peaked - it's all down hill from here. Now being a responsible adult kicks in.

Honesty is a virtue! Smile

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »

Those are all very important things to keep in mind! I'm pretty good at cooking, I know how to do laundry, but I need to practice, and when I focus I am very good at keeping things clean, organized, and presentable. I will be at home for a few more years so I have time to get ready.

Good! You wouldn't believe how many adult men living on their own don't know how to actually look after themselves (especially at the college/university level). It tells us ladies that these guys really relied on their mothers (sometimes fathers) to take care of them and may expect us (potential girlfriends/actual girlfriends) to play mother for them. *shudder*
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Graduation « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.