Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:05:00 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Natural born killers « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Natural born killers  (Read 3366 times)
Vik
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »

One of my favourite movies, directed by Oliver Stone. Unique film, very different but it's awesome.
Here's a video to show how kick ass it is:

Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:25:07 PM by vik » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »

I liked the film when it was released.  Most people didn't at the time.  I need to see it again to see if my feelings have changed. 

Unfortunately, Oliver Stone's satirical intent didn't come across to a lot of people.  Many of those who got it nonetheless thought the film was irresponsible in its glamorization of violence.  It's a lot like A CLOCKWORK ORANGE that way, although it's not as philosophically serious or as great as Kubrick's film.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:19:14 AM »

I think I got the general idea of what the film was going for, and I liked a number of individual parts of the film (the scene with Rodney Dangerfield and the laugh track is great), but it seems very scattered and not very cohesive to me - much like its editing style, actually. 

Also, I think the alternate ending is much better.  Perhaps that relates to the fact that for the entire runtime I despised both Mickey and Mallory. 
Vik
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »

Also, I think the alternate ending is much better.  Perhaps that relates to the fact that for the entire runtime I despised both Mickey and Mallory. 

How's the alternate ending ?
I though the duo was awesome  TongueOut
I also ordered the original NBK screenplay written by Quentin Tarantino before Stone touched it.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »

I think I got the general idea of what the film was going for, and I liked a number of individual parts of the film (the scene with Rodney Dangerfield and the laugh track is great), but it seems very scattered and not very cohesive to me - much like its editing style, actually. 

It was Stone's view of 1990's culture: fragmented and nostalgia-driven. I have mixed feelings on Oliver Stone. I really detest his political and "historical" films like JFK, Born on the 4th of July, Heaven and Earth, The Doors, and Nixon. He doesn't just provide his take on history, he reinvents it to fit what he wants to have happened. But I do like some of his films quite a bit, like Platoon, Talk Radio, Wall Street, Natural Born Killers, and Any Given Sunday. In other words, he's good when he's making films and not histories.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »

I think I got the general idea of what the film was going for, and I liked a number of individual parts of the film (the scene with Rodney Dangerfield and the laugh track is great), but it seems very scattered and not very cohesive to me. 

That was pretty much my reaction to it. I got the satire, I understood what it was trying to say, but altogether it was just too disjointed for me.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »

I liked the deliberately disjointed nature of the film.  It was like the film was constantly flipping channels on a TV set.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 11:50:45 AM »

I think part of the problem for me was that I went in with expectations of a more conventional thriller, which is the way the advertising made it look. They knew it wasn't going to be for everybody, and pulled a cinematic bait and switch.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

I think part of the problem for me was that I went in with expectations of a more conventional thriller, which is the way the advertising made it look. They knew it wasn't going to be for everybody, and pulled a cinematic bait and switch.

Heh heh. Hollywood never does that.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »

How's the alternate ending ?
I though the duo was awesome  TongueOut
I also ordered the original NBK screenplay written by Quentin Tarantino before Stone touched it.

***SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING!***

Ya know the random guy who starts helping them in prison by shooting guards, then joins them, only to later on vanish without a trace for some reason?  Well, in the alternate ending, he kills Mickey and Mallory after they escape.  Good stuff.

***END***
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »

I hated it. Found it to be a repetitive bore...honestly I nodded off watching it but of course it's so noisy it quickly woke me up again. To me, it's like a music video style onslaught that seems to go on forever instead of minutes.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Natural born killers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.